Bear tooth highway and Lamar Valley

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Mtlangst, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

we are coming into gardiner to start our yellowstone trip this weekend was going to drive north through billings but am thinking of going down the bear tooth highway and through lamar valley. My question is are the pullout big enough for me while pulling a popup or should i just drive straight to gardiner and drive the bear tooth w/o popup on another day?

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

we got back two weeks ago - do your animal-viewing/exploring without the trailer - soo much easier - especially in a bear/wolf "jam"
    Lamar valley is quite long, actually. Hayden less so. For both our bear/wolf feeding viewings, the action was way across the river - you really need electronically stabilized binoculars of at least 10x power (we have Canon binoc's).

I got usable images (for memories) using my Nikon DX3300 with Nikon's 70-300 AFS-P VR lens. Guy next to me had a Tamron 150-600 lens - but thats way more $$.

3. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

I am borrowing a high power spotting scope. I talked with the lady at the rv place we are staying at and she said the bear tooth hwy has alot of switch backs etc so i think i am going to drive it with just the van.

What time in the day were you in lamar valley? Did you feel you needed to go to hayden valley after being in lamar valley?

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We pulled our Pup the length of the Beartooth with no problems. We spent a couple days in Cody, WY then drove to Red Lodge, MT. We entered Yellowstone through the Northeast Entrance then on to our base camp in West Yellowstone.

5. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

Were you able to stop at pulloffs?

6. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Plenty of pull offs. I drive through the park often and wish more folks would actually use them more. Park is getting much quieter now, great time to be there. My advice is to take your time, get out of the car and walk around a bit. I hear a lot of complaints about Yellowstone being too crowded. If you walk away from the road for 5 min you leave 99% of the crowds behind. Have a great trip.

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We had no problems pulling off on the Beartooth. It is a spectacular drive and you'll want to stop often.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We were there in July. I did not want the hassles of towing a trailer up and down the pass, and through the valley as we animal watched, so we did it another day. Made for a great day trip, as we went up and over the pass, and hung out in Red Lodge a bit (had some great pizza at a joint there) and then back again.