Bears

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by jbeige, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Every other year or so we have a bear or two come out of the Cascades and right into Seattle, a metro area of over 3.5 million people.

2. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Yeah, and I can't for the life of me figure out how one got all the way into Shoreline a couple of years ago without being seen or discovered before it got that far west. I think it was Shoreline anyway. And another time it was Redmond. That was just as surprising.

3. scollins

scollins Member

I have done some tent camping in the Porcupine Mountains in Michigan, quite a few bears there. According to the rangers you are more likely to see a bear in the big campground than in the rustic campgrounds on boundary road. Staying in a more rustic area where there is not a constant source of food (garbage) seems like a good idea. Also keeping your food out of the camper. I have also heard some warnings that the smell from bear spray can attract bears (obviously not the one you just sprayed), has anyone else heard this?

4. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

It was actually Everett. It decided to take up residency in a greenspace owned by PUD, about four blocks from my house. And right next to the interurban trail. It was a recipe for an attack... I hate to say it, but I'm almost glad someone spooked it into traffic...

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have camped in bear country many, many times and we are Bear Aware! We have never had a bear visit our site and in fact I have never seen a bear in our campground! I also have a can of bear spray that goes with us when we camp. You can buy them in different sizes. We purchased ours while in Glacier NP on the advise of a Ranger who we spoke with that does a lot of fly fishing in the park.

As others have said you need to be Bear Aware.
    Here is a link to read through: http://www.bearsmart.com/becoming-bear-smart/play

If you are camping in a state park talk to the ranger when you check in about bears in the area.

Oh, one more thing, if it's a smellable do not keep it in the pup overnight while sleeping.....

6. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

A lot of people tend to generalize when talking about Bears. There is such a difference between Grizzlies/Browns and Black bears, that you might as well be talking about Raccoons and rattlesnakes. A Grizz/ Brown generally would like to eat you. A Black Bear is generally like scaring off your neighbor's dog when he's in your yard.
    Grizzlies/ Browns live in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Alaska, and parts of Canada. Black bears live just about everywhere. 99% of Bear encounters will be with Black Bears.
    Bear aware is always good advice, I just hate to see people over react.

Greg

7. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Campfreak forgot to mention the Chicago Bears. Normally found in the Chicago Illinois area. They are usually not very active until the Green Bay Packers give them a but kicking now and then! [:D]

8. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

LMAO

One good joke deserves another!

This Joke is meant for Boy Scouts.

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
    They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
    Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
    It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
    Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

9. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I have to agree that Grizzly/Brown Bears are more to be feared than black bears. Most bears are scared of people. The exception is a Grizzly with cubs or near a recent kill. They may very well charge if you come on them unexpectedly. One explanation is that they evolved in tundra conditions without trees and survived by charging any invaders. Interestingly, the black bear is the more likely of the two to consider you as prey according to Stephen Herrero who wrote "Bear Attacks - Their Causes and Avoidance". He said that predation appeared to be the motive for 18 of the 20 black-bear inflicted deaths. Having said that I have back packed in black bear country - California, Virginia, North Carolina, and Colorado and black bear/Grizzly country in Montana and Alaska and the only time I saw a bear was from a bus in Denali Park. I would always assume that a bear is dangerous but I think you would be extremely unlikely to confront one.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

We recently obtained proof that Grizzly bears (aka Brown bears) are now in the North Cascades of Washington. A hiker on the Pacific Crest Trail took a couple of snapshots of one walking a ridge up there last year.

11. mkaczala

mkaczala Member

12. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

The Everett Silvertips weren't named that for nothing...

(Silvertip is another name for a Grizzly)

13. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Yes, studies have indicated that bears can be attracted to bear spray. Iirc, it was determined that the spray was used improperly, as a deterent. Coating your tent or camper with hot sauce is not a good idea for many reasons.

It's important to remember that bears are smart and curious, so any strong odor may attract them.

14. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Everett? It's too close for comfort to be sure. It's amazing it got that far and definitely not something you'd expect to have in the greenbelt by PUD!

15. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Griz in Colorado? Now there is some news. Been here since 1966, the last one recorded was killed in 1975 or so by an outfitter under some suspicious circumstances. The Division of Parks and Wildlife keeps a pretty close eye out for Griz and none have been reported for a long time. Black bears and Mountain lions and the occasional wandering Wyoming wolf show up, but no reports of Griz.
    MR

16. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Ok, I stand corrected. I thought there were still a few in Co.

Greg

17. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Iirc, a Grizzly popped up in WA in 2010, but there hasn't been any other data collected on them in the area since.

18. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

We went to a lecture on bears last year and it was confirmed that there are Grizzly's back in Washington State. Quite a few of them, actually. They apparently like the high altitudes of the North Cascades but they move great distances in a days so can probably be anywhere. I guess they were reintroduced to the State and for the life of me, I can't imagine why.

19. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

About a year ago, I watched a documentary on either the History Channel, or Nova... that showed grizzlies on mountain-sides, eating moths. The day after having seen that, I called the DOW, who told me that "officially, they don't exist in Colorado, but they are here."

Anyway, just thought to add that to the speculation.

20. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

In BC there are over 12,000 grizzlies with a call to the Federal Government to have them put on the endangered species list. It is hard to imagine the Grizzly doesn't cross the border into WA.