Bears

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by jbeige, Jun 27, 2012.

1. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Exactly. I don't think there was an effort to reintroduce them; they go where ever they want.

2. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Well, it goes without saying that they cross into the US but I'm just relaying what the speaker said in the "bear talk" we heard... that they were reintroduced into Washington. I remembering at the time why they would have to do that.

3. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

That might just mean that they stopped shooting the ones that wander in.

Greg

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

When the news item about the Pacific Crest Trail hiker seeing and photographing a grizz in the North Cascades was on TV they played it as a very good thing.

5. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Why would that be? Did they say?

6. Unstable_Tripod

They didn't say specifically. The slant was along the lines of it's always good to see a species thrive in more areas because it's better for the species in general.

7. chickabee

chickabee New Member

8. Panfalone

Panfalone New Member

What are your thoughts on air horns as a preventive measure? Anybody use them to scare off black bears?

9. Unstable_Tripod

Air horns can be effective. I keep a pocket-sized one next to me at night and take it along when hiking. The good thing about an air horn is that you don't have to be upwind of the bear to use it.

10. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Never heard of a pocket-sized air horn. Where did you get something like that?

There's air-horn Apps for smart phones but I don't think they're worth the bother, but the time I'd have to put on my glasses, pick up my phone and open the app. I wonder about the effectiveness of the alarm on the truck though. Might have the keys nearby. That little air horn sounds good though.

11. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Skip the "air horn" app. You'd be better off yelling at a bear.

If you decide to use an air horn, you should carry it in a belt holster that can be attached to a belt, outer pack strap, or some other placement that allows quick access. Don't put it inside a pack pocket or some other location that requires much thought or time to access. The same goes for bear spray. You have to remember that spray and horns are useful in close encounters, and you can't waste time trying to access the device. Once you've reached the point where either would be effective, seconds count. Also, if you're in bear country, keep the deterrent on your person. If left in the car or on your pack's hip belt, it won't do you any good.

vjlarson, I'm glad that you're taking bear safety seriously, but keep in mind that bear attacks really are rare. Wilderness areas populated by bears are routinely traveled by thousands of people a year, with few wild animal attacks. If you're mindful of your surroundings and follow safe practices, you'll be far ahead of a lot of people. Be smart, educate the rest of your group, and enjoy your time.

12. Unstable_Tripod

I don't remember where I got the small air horn. I browse a lot of camping/sports places. It had to be Camping World, Cabella's, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc. They might have them at Walmart, too. When I hike I wear a small fanny pack (water, Cliff Bar, small binocs, pocket knife, compass, etc. in front and my camera pack on my back. I keep the air horn readily accessible in a pouch in the fanny pack. At night I keep the air horn, key fob for the truck and my pistol next to me. The panic button on the key fob sets off the horn and flashes the headlights.

Double ++ for BajaPup's post, especially the last paragraph!

13. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Oh, I take it more than seriously! I'm almost paranoid. LOL I've just had a few bad experiences with "rare" happenings of one kind or another so I have a fear. I am not a "what are the chances" person but I'd almost rather never go into bear territory - or at the very least, know and take every precaution. It seems like that's impossible if I want to go into the mountains here.

14. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I'm going to look for one of those. If you keep an air horn, key fob and pistol next to you and you're in a hard side, I'm feeling even more vulnerable. :) Thanks to both you and BajaPup for the tips.

15. RichN

RichN New Member

[​IMG]

16. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

Any store that handles marine supplies will carry air horns. I liked U-T's comment that you don't have to be upwind to use an air horn compared to using pepper spray.

17. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Yeah, you wouldn't want pepper spray to come back at you if you can help it.