Bed Bow repair 1998 Coleman Redwood

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by megcabra, Sep 19, 2017.

1. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Thought I'd share my latest repair on our 1998 Coleman Redwood. The rear facing bed bow developed a kink several years ago and pinched off the plastic tip of the shepherds hook. My fix at that time was to straighten out the pipe as best I could and re-screw the plate back on as well as add several zip ties. I also purchased a new shepherds hook tip. This worked for a while but eventual started doing the same. So after researching fix options I settled on the ¾” EMT conduit option. Yes there is a very nice looking option that is sold for $27.95 +$13.95 shipping that slides over the cut sections rather than inside the sections but the cost was more than I wanted to bear. Here is the link to their product which looks great: https://colemanpopupparts.com/products/bed-bow-repair-kit

So here is how I did the repair buying only one item for under $3.00 and otherwise using materials I had on hand.

1. First I bought a 5’ length of ¾” EMT conduit at Lowes for $2.98 + Tax.

2. Used a T25 Torx bit to remove the bed bow from both sides.

3. Cut out a 4” section of the damaged bow. Mark the bow horizontally as well since the shepherds hook hole is slightly offset/tilted down when the bow is in place.

4. Cut a 6” section of the new ¾” EMT conduit. (Probably could have cut it longer)

5. Insert the conduit into the cut ends of the bed bow.

6. Mark the conduit and bed bow to drill. (I used a 3/16” drill bit for the rivets and a 7/16” drill bit for the shepherds hook hole.)

7. Rivet the cut sections. (I used a rivet on the front and back as well as re-used the plate by riveting it as well.

8. Sanded any burrs as well as sanded the inside of the 7/16” hole for the shepherds hook.

9. Cleaned and painted white using Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy paint.

upload_2017-9-19_9-45-53.png

14 front.JPG

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Joe Brokenbourgh and smit1088 like this.
  2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Looks good. I might be heading down this road with one of my supports...

3. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Very nice of you to share.

4. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

Looks good. I designed and 3D printed a pole tip for one of my shepards hooks. Even though it is PLA, it is thick and strong. You can see it here.

megcabra likes this.
  5. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Very nice! It would be interesting to test the PLA version against an ABS one. I believe the original one on the hook was a brittle type of plastic, perhaps closer to PLA since it was a clean break. Thanks for sharing!

Below is a pic of the original tip that was still rolling around in the bow when I cut it and the one attached is what is left of the replacement tip that was getting bound it the hole.
    upload_2017-9-20_9-30-36.png

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017