Bed bowing. Is there a way to better support the middle?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Our9arefine, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Our9arefine

Our9arefine New Member

The king bed on our '94 coachman bows pretty bad in the middle. There are some deep gouges on the bottom of the wood where it is scraping the screws as we slide it out. Any ideas? Thank you.

2. ppsage

ppsage New Member

Most king beds that I know of have some kind of scissor pole supports that they slide out on and which add support when they're all the way out.

3. egapylime

egapylime Member

Our queen is doing the same thing. Not sure what to do. I'll replace the bunk end this winter but don't want it to happen again.

4. pcfeld

pcfeld New Member

My bunk end sags prior to adding the supports due to damage to the tracks the rollers run in. The end is almost 5 inches low prior to installing the supports. To solve this I created a roller with a short piece of PVC and caster that I place on the jack after removing the crank. This also supports the small sag I had in the center.

5. gerryrobinson

gerryrobinson New Member

Any chance you have any pictures of your setup. I too am having this issue and currently just use a piece of 2x2 between the a-frame and bottom of the bunk for extra support.

6. Our9arefine

Our9arefine New Member

I would love to see a pic of that as well. We have the poles that go into the trailer, but they support the sides. I thought maybe we should put down two pieces of plywood on top? In addition to the 1/2 " ply on there now?

7. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

If the sagging bed is above the tongue jack, you may try an additional pole for the center.
    http://goo.gl/Euc71O
    Install it and drop it down vertically to the A-frame tongue area.
    You need a precise measurement of the length you need for this new pole. First, put the 2 existing poles in place. Prop up the center with a piece of 2x4 on a hydraulic jack on the ground. Take a measurement of the distance between the bed and the A-frame (in front of the battery box). Cut the tubing with a hack saw so the total length of the pole including the mounting bracket is a match. Screw the mounting bracket to the bed. The mounting bracket should swivel freely. At the A-frame surface, epoxy or weld a piece of flat head screw or hex bolt to keep the pole end in place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You also need a clip to store it under just like the other two poles.

If the sagging bed is at the rear, your support surface would be a piece of plywood on the ground.

8. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Unfortunately, I can't open my PUP at the moment to take pictures of what I did but I'll try to explain it the best I can. Mine has the 2 hinged poles that attach under the bed and into the PUP frame at the bottom before you slide the bed out. They stick straight out, vertically. It then has 2 short, straight poles that go to the front of the tongue once you deploy the bed. The straight poles push the bed up above the hinged ones, leaving a sagging gap under most of the bed. I had a 5' piece of 3/4" steel conduit laying around so I cut two notches in that to fit the horizontal supports and we squeeze it in between those and bottom of the bed once it is set up and that took away all the sag. [SNZ]

9. swordfish

I looked at some pictures of Coachman Clipper. Can't figure out how the bed is supported.
    So you may not have the 2 support poles as in Coleman's. The fix using a center support pole could still work.
    [​IMG]

10. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

You can always install angle or channel that runs the length of the bed and attach it to the frame of the bunk at both ends. This will provide support in the middle of the bunk. Be sure to bolt the engineered wood to the new supports to firm it up all the way across

[​IMG]

Good luck!

11. Phranc

Phranc New Member

That is a photoshopped brochure picture. The bunk supports have been removed to make a cleaner picture.

12. Our9arefine

Our9arefine New Member

That looks like that would work perfectly. Do you need to remove it when you put the bed away? Is the strut only attached to the ply or is it bolted to the frame? Thank you!

13. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

The struts are channel. They are attached to the frame at each end And a few rivets in the middle. They are a shade smaller than the size of the frame so they slide right in when you put the bunk end away. These are OEM so no modification to accommodate after market. They should be quite easy to fit to any bunk provided there is a clear path when you slide them back in.

Good luck!

14. efehser

efehser New Member

Nope.
    New Coachmen campers use a cable system inside the tent. No poles.

15. pcfeld

pcfeld New Member

I thought I had pictures of the setup but must not have uploaded them to my google site. I am camping this weekend and will try to get pictures and get them uploaded. I am still in the old age without a smart phone so a quick response it won't be.

16. swordfish

Thank you for enlightening me. I watched the setup video. She pushed a locking knob or something after pulling the bed out. No poles. I just sit there and scratched my head. Learned something new every day.

The easiest and cheapest solution for her is to add a support pole vertically below the center of the bed. A 2" round wooden dowel will do fine. Fixed both ends with velcro. Add a 6"x6" square plywood under the bed to enforce the contact point and spread the stress. It's not going anywhere, just an additional support. I might just do that for mine after hearing stories about bed collapsing and pole bending on the Coleman's.

17. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Where did you hear that. It would take a whole bunch to do that. My Coleman bunk ends are rated at more than 1,000 lbs on each end. What the heck did someone do to collapse that.

18. efehser

efehser New Member

Only reason a bunk end should collapse is if it's not properly supported, be it by poles or cables. One of the few things Big Baron did NOT complain about on his camper was the bunk support system.

Procrastinating with Tapatalk

19. swordfish

20. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Never heard of this before. Very interesting. I would love to see the old equipment from this incident. It's obvious either was a failure and not a weight issue.

Thanks of the read. For the op, let us know how this turns out.

Happy Campin'