Bed slides dilemma

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by Vanfan54, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Vanfan54

Vanfan54 New Member

Well, just took our 1st trip with our used 1994 coleman popup camper. Beautiful weather, great campsite. Wife hauled popup, i followed with boat. Got to the site, started setting up, but it was getting close to dark so I decided to put boat in. I had picked site because it was close to boat landing andi felt like I could tie off on tree roots right at landing. Well as I was climbing off boat I fell, striking my head, ribs and back hard on rocks. Luckily I didnt knock myself out. Changed clothes as I was soaked and proceeded to set up camp site, unload, set up popup. Myself, wife and son were scuttling around doing this. Popup was getting set up, leveled, etc. Wife didnt know about legs on bed, and, you guessed it, she climbed onto bed without legs down mangling bed slides. Can't get bed back in, and cant find slides to fit. It appears they didnt make this model long, and bed slides are smaller than later models. My guess is they figured out slides weren't strong enough and went to sturdier models. Does anyone know if the universal slides will fit this model popup? I spoke to someone on the Coleman popup parts site and he couldnt tell me. Currently the popup is sitting on the street with bed out as I couldnt get it down the driveway. Broke both my taillights trying. Oh. Boat broke down, and wife dropped new phone in the minnow bucket. Talk about the trip from hell!! But I really enjoyed being out. if anyone can help me out with question about bed rails I would really appreciate it

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

At least it can't get worse. I dont know about the slides if the pop up part people couldn't help. The model of your camper could help.

3. Vanfan54

Vanfan54 New Member

It says Four Seasons by Fleetwood on the side of the camper.

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Four Seasons was the series name, consisting of two hard wall models - the Yosemite which had a tub / shower, Sunbrella tenting, screw down stabilizers, and power lift system and the Cape Cod which did not. So what do you have? [?:~{] If Coleman Popup Parts couldn't help you then sad to say but you're probably SOL and will have to DIY some sort of solution. :( BTW, which bed? - front or rear, as they're different sizes so the bed slides would obviously be different. Here's the 1994 Four Seasons Parts Book that will help you identify the parts.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  5. Vanfan54

Vanfan54 New Member

I have the cape cod, and its the rear bed. I was thinking Id be sol, so im not surprised. As far as diying is concerned im sol there too im afraid.

6. Vanfan54

Vanfan54 New Member

Greyfox...btw, thanks for your help!!

7. Vanfan54

Vanfan54 New Member

I stated it was the rear bed when actually its the front bed.

8. GreyFox

A couple of options that might be worth considering.

1) Eliminate the damaged bed entirely OR if there are just 2 of you using the camper eliminate both beds as the owner of a 1996 Fleetwood Santa Fe has done.

2) If that doesn't appeal I wonder if the owner of that '96 Santa Fe still has the bed slide rails he removed from his own camper. If so, you'd want to check first to see if the SF parts would fit your Fleetwood.

9. Vanfan54

Vanfan54 New Member

I appreciate the advice. Coleman popup parts wasnt able to tell me if a universal would fit, so its doubtdul if they can tell me this.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Mesure what you have and compair it what the universal one is. If its the same dementions fo for it.

11. GreyFox

Nor would I expect them to as Fleetwood popups were made up of thousands of different parts, including the bed rails - it would take considerable time to examine the parts books for each model to figure this out. Here are the parts books for the 1994 Cape Cod (Model #2830) and for the 1996 Santa Fe (Model #3089). Unfortunately you've not provided any pics that would tell us exactly which rail is damaged (curb side or street side or both) nor which part of it is damaged (the main rail or the extension). At first glance it would appear the bed rails are different for each of these 2 models but knowing exactly what is bent and where it may be possible to modify one of the Santa Fe rails to fit your Cape Cod. Only you can do that as it's only you who knows exactly where the damage is. ;)

12. Sammy Girl

Sammy Girl New Member

Following this post because same thing just happened to us this morning when we were taking down camper. Have you checked with RV dealers/service centers in your area to see what they would charge to fix it? My fingers are crossed for both of us.

13. GreyFox

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but many dealers just won't work on any trailer more than 10 yrs old, let alone the OP's 26 yr old trailer. The second issue is getting replacement parts - for 26 yr old camper manufactured by a company that's been out of business since 2011 the chances of finding suitable parts are slim to none. :( Depending on the make / model / year of your own camper you may be facing the same challenges. :oops:

14. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Can you show us some pics...Some heavy duty C-Clamps and straight bar and a dead blow hammer
    may be in order here...My niece did this on my old 87 Coleman Columbia and we were able to straighten
    it enough to function but not as smooth as before of course.

15. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

if all else fails, take th bent one to a metal shop. guys could fabricate new ones for about what online would cost.

soflopopup likes this.
  16. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

A metal shop would probably straighten it, if it's all there, before fabing another.

soflopopup likes this.
  17. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

See if you can get some dimensions on the universal rails. If the length is appropriate (or could be cut) then you just need to ensure the width (height when in the pup) is feasible. Doesn't necessarily have to be the exact same as the old if you are replacing both, so long as it fits the camper.

18. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Also- too late for this advice now but maybe it will help someone else: Don't leave the beds out unsupported any longer than you need to. This puts great stress on the rails and camper. We will have the support poles sitting there, then pull out the bed, and immediately support them with the poles so they aren't dangling at full extent for more than a second or so, if at all. If for some reason we can't do that, I just pull them out partway so it's clear they aren't set up yet, and there is a much greater portion of the rail holding the weight.

19. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Without pics we are all basically guessing.