Bed Slides

sawdusty

San Antonio
Nov 9, 2014
San Antonio
Need your help. I've lubed the bed slides with silicone but maybe haven't done it correctly. I haven't found that anything is binding. Could be I'm only 5' tall [LOL]

Mally

Sep 21, 2015
I had some similar problems with mine.

A few things:

Have you done a visual inspection to make sure that they weren't bent at all? The PO left me with a slightly bent bed slide on my queen pull out. It wasn't much, but was just enough to cause a large amount of friction on one side of the pull out. I had to disconnect the rail, and take it to the bench vise to straighten it out.

Also, are the inside of the tracks clean? Mine has some dirt and gunk in them. Sprayed it was some air from the air compressor and a lot of dirt and leaves and such that I didnt even see came shooting out!

Also, check to make sure the bolts holding the rails to the bed sides are tight. Mine were very loose and they caused a lot of "play". Might be worth checking them to see.

Which spray did you use? Liquid Wrench is what I used and they slide very well now.

94-D2

Happy Campin'
May 21, 2010
Sutter Creek CA
You need to look closer and see that all the nylon/plastic wheels are in tact and operating. It should glide with some resistance. If your struggling it has a problem. There should be at least one inner roller wheel that is deep in the slide track. Pull the bunk end out Look for the screw or rivet that is in the track. That should be the location of a roller. Inspect the path and make sure it is straight and clean. Lube any part that contacts each other, especially metal to metal.

sawdusty

San Antonio
Nov 9, 2014
San Antonio
Mally said:
I had some similar problems with mine.

A few things:

Have you done a visual inspection to make sure that they weren't bent at all? The PO left me with a slightly bent bed slide on my queen pull out. It wasn't much, but was just enough to cause a large amount of friction on one side of the pull out. I had to disconnect the rail, and take it to the bench vise to straighten it out.

Also, are the inside of the tracks clean? Mine has some dirt and gunk in them. Sprayed it was some air from the air compressor and a lot of dirt and leaves and such that I didnt even see came shooting out!

Also, check to make sure the bolts holding the rails to the bed sides are tight. Mine were very loose and they caused a lot of "play". Might be worth checking them to see.

Which spray did you use? Liquid Wrench is what I used and they slide very well now.

Thanks for your suggestions. May just take things apart for a really close look. I'm using silicone spray that has been recommended. Which Liquid Wrench did you use?

94-D2 I'll be taking a real close look to see if the slides are straight.

Really appreciate the help. [:)C]

sawdusty

San Antonio
Nov 9, 2014
San Antonio
Mally said:
http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Wrench-M914-Silicone-Lubricant/dp/B000ABE98I

This is what I used.

I don't know if it's "recommend" by any manuals.

But I use it at work all the time and it worked great for me!

I think that is the one I used. I'm getting the impression that I need to delve deeper and pull one of the slides so I can see. Saw a fellow open his pup the other day and he just pushed with one hand and it slid out by itself.

Txbum

Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh
Mar 25, 2013
sawdusty, I too had troubles with slides, front bunk was a pain and would droop towards the hitch!. I took a similar bunk off my spare PUP and when I removed the so called bad bunk, I saw it was off track on driver's side. Had to jerk it out and I re-installed the spare. Before I re-installed the bunk, I cleaned out the tracks and dry lubed with liquid wrench RV dry lube. I re-installed the bunk and sure 'nuff it slides out much easier. I still had the droop. I re-positioned the bunk supports by drilling new holes in bed platform and now I have a level bed/bunk. I also cleaned out the rear bunk slides found metal shavings and sprayed wet lube to clean out shavings , then I dried slides out and use liquid wrench RV dry lube. A heck of a lot easier. Txbum

Halford

Super Active Member
Sep 28, 2011
Santa Clarita, California
Was the bed pulled out and pushed in exactly at the center of the bunkend end part? its hard to push or pull if pushed off center. it wont go in smoothly except if you push it in the middle. if that was not the problem, then its the lubing. use sparsely or you will get it all over you or canvas.

I have double mattress and it hangs over a little on sides which makes it little harder to push in or out... Once I know why, i accept it...

sawdusty

San Antonio
Nov 9, 2014
San Antonio
Txbum said:
sawdusty, I too had troubles with slides, front bunk was a pain and would droop towards the hitch!. I took a similar bunk off my spare PUP and when I removed the so called bad bunk, I saw it was off track on driver's side. Had to jerk it out and I re-installed the spare. Before I re-installed the bunk, I cleaned out the tracks and dry lubed with liquid wrench RV dry lube. I re-installed the bunk and sure 'nuff it slides out much easier. I still had the droop. I re-positioned the bunk supports by drilling new holes in bed platform and now I have a level bed/bunk. I also cleaned out the rear bunk slides found metal shavings and sprayed wet lube to clean out shavings , then I dried slides out and use liquid wrench RV dry lube. A heck of a lot easier. Txbum

I'm thinking that these slides have not been maintained at all. When I return home later this week I'm going to get busy taking care of this little pain in the back.

Latest posts