Bedding questions

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by GandD, Aug 11, 2019.

1. GandD

GandD New Member

We have a new to us pop up camper and we will be going out with it the first time this weekend. Previously we have only camped in a tent.

I was wondering what bedding do you use or prefer, a sleeping bag or blankets and sheets?
    Do you store your bedding in the pop up the whole season or take it out after every trip?
    Does storing bedding in a pop up ruin them in some way, like with moisture, bugs, etc?
    If you store bedding in the pop up do you keep it on the beds ready to sleep on?

Gathering and packing bedding and pillows whenever we went tent camping for the 4 of us was always a hassle. I was hoping to store it in the pop up as one of the conveniences of owning a pop up, but not if there may be issues with keeping it there.

Any cool weather or hot weather tips?
    Our low night temperatures camping will range from 40-65 degrees.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Sleeping bags. And stored in vacuum storage bags to take up less space

GandD and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

All depends on what you like to do, i bought sheet sets and had extra blankets, but i found just one sheet and a sleeping bag worked best for us. Others leave there bedding set up on the beds. If your packing up in the rain, thats dosent work to well. I leave my stuff in the pop up during the camping season, but take it out at winter time. A plug in heater if you have a ellecteical hook ups is nice. Ac for the heat. They do make dc powered fans.

GandD likes this.
  4. bheff

bheff Active Member

I use regular sheets and blankets. I wash them and then store them in vacuum bags back in the Pup.

GandD likes this.
  5. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

We use sheets and a sleeping bag as a blanket. Have extra blankets stored for really cold nights. Bedding comes out of the camper after every trip. Sheets are laundered, sleeping bags gets hung on the line to air out.

GandD likes this.
  6. GandD

GandD New Member

Thanks for answering. So do you vaccum seal the sleeping bags after every trip or just at the end of the season?
    Sorry if it seems like a stupid question, just don't want to ruin the hundreds of dollars of sleeping bags/bedding. At this time our sleeping bags are stored in the house in our closets and I am tired of them taking up space, lol. I don't even store them in garage cause I am worried of them being damaged.

7. GandD

GandD New Member

After reading your responses and I was abe to find another post about bedding,I decided to try having the sleeping bags on the beds layed out like a blanket with sheets on the mattresses during the season in use. I will keep them there between trips. Since we usually have cool nights the sleeping bags would be warmer than blankets, and we have the anti fatigue mats under the mattresses to keep the bottom warm.

Just got the tires replaced and the bearings greased yesterday, so now the camper is ready to be packed with our gear for the first outing this coming weekend. It will be nice to have everything mostly packed before we head out. We will see how much easier it will be to leave for a camping trip.
    Now onto packing the popup.

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Sjm9911

Only thing to remember is that if its raining out, remove the bedding when closing up, or it will get soaked. I usally store the sleeping bags under the seat or in the shower.

HappyTraveler and GandD like this.
  9. GandD

GandD New Member

It hanks for mentioning leaving bedding on the bed if it has been raining might not work well. I'll have to remember to take the bedding off if it rains, and to make sure we have a place to store it. It doesn't seem like there is much room to store all our bedding in the popup off the beds though.

10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

With my FnR, because it is hard sided, I plan on using a tarp to cover the bedding when I close it up in the rain. That way I can keep the bed made all the time (my preference) without worrying about it getting wet.

I much prefer regular bedding to sleeping bags as I need to stay cool to cold to sleep. With bedding, I can keep a sheet, blanket and comforte on the bed year round. If it's too warm, I can move the comforter off me. Still too hot, move the blanket off. If it's too cold, I can just add a throw blanket on top of the comforter. For me it works great - do the same in the clipper.

Sjm9911 and GandD like this.
  11. GandD

GandD New Member

Great idea about tarping the beds. That might work for us, especially if I can't find a place to store the bedding. That would also prevent the mattresses getting wet. It seems like laying a tarp on the beds would need to be done anyways to keep the mattresses from. How does everyone protect the mattresses from the wet canvas?

12. Sjm9911

Mine have vinal on the outside of the mattresses so i never worried about it.

13. GandD

GandD New Member

We replaced the mattresses and they aren't covered in vinyl, the orginal wasn't either though. I will have to buy waterproof mattress covers for them.

14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Mine aren't covered and I prefer not to due to the heat retention. Tarping it allows me to remove the plastic/vinyl completely for sleeping yets protects everything when needed. :)

GandD likes this.
  15. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

We use sheets for us and sleeping bags for the kids. Our sheets stay in a plastic bin in the camper and the sleeping bags stay in their stuff sacks.

One of the reasons we like having a bed is to have sheets and blankets instead of sleeping bags. As it gets colder we just bring an extra blanket or two and use the furnace.

GandD likes this.
  16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Sheets and comforters. We used to store them in the camper, but don't anymore. No particular reason why, just kind of worked out that way.

What I used to do is bring everything in to be washed after each trip. Once clean, I would remake the beds, cover the whole shebang with a fitted vinyl sheet, then put the camper down.

I still make the beds from the outside, before the trip and cover with vinyl. I just do it now a couple days in advance, when we are packing up the camper.

GandD likes this.