Bedding Suggestions for Kids

meshay

Feb 12, 2011
We are taking our 2 & 3 year olds camping for the first time next summer. Just picked up an '89 Viking. Any suggestions on bedding for them? I know going to bed will be hot, followed by a coolish night, want to keep them comfortable because we all know a well rested kid is a happy kid. [:)C]

nowjustjules

Feb 28, 2008
My kids are now 8 and 5 and we have always had jersey knit sheets and blankets for my youngest who is always hot (and would sweat in a sleeping bag) and a sleeping bag for my oldest who is always cold. We like the jersey knit sheets because they don't feel damp (even if it is.)

Full Circle

Greely, Ontario, Canada
Apr 4, 2009
Greely, Ontario
Our two use sleeping bags, at least they start off in them. It doesn't seem to matter how cold the night is, both of ours always kick out of the bags within minutes of us covering them up.

Jumanji

Beautiful BC
May 7, 2009
Vancouver, BC
We tried sleeping bags for our kids when we first got our PUP. They share the double bed. But the bags kept sliding off the edge of the bed while my son was sleeping. So now we use sheets and blankets and warm pajamas. My kids would often kick off their blankets in the middle of the night so I usually wake up frequently when it's cold worrying about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capy235co

Jan 9, 2011
Seal Beach, CA
Sleeping bags give each kid a sense of their own space. I prefer warm weather ones. If you have a heater it will keep them warm. If they kick out of them and they get cold they will get back in them.

Keep a comforter pushed down at the far end of the bunk. Tell them in advance that if they get cold they can reach down and pull it up. Of course you can always pull it over them after they are sleeping

fmbhappycamper

PuP Power
Aug 27, 2010
The Kids bags-barbie, toy story, little mermaid,spiderman Etc are not as hot as sleeping bags, open the zipper and use over sheets as a blanket [8D]

2girls1boy

Aug 30, 2008
We make the beds up with sheets and then each kid has their own camping blanket that is a fleece blanket. I agree with the pp that sleeping bags slip and slide and then with my kids someone is getting frustrated with the zipper not working how they want it to.

Hollyhoff

May 13, 2009
I have 2 six year olds and an 8 year old. I started out with their own sleeping bags.. then went to sheets blanket and then the sleeping bag as comforter. They seem to sleep better with less frustration. They never stayed in the sleeping bag, and I would often wake up to cover them back up. Since I went to the sheets and blanket combo.. much more rested children!!!

lbcarr87

Super Active Member
Aug 29, 2009
A shot of whiskey for each, they'll sleep like babies [:D] kidding, of course, Sleeping bags are a part of camping for kids. They;ll love them and love being in the outdoors. Daily activities outside will wear them out and they will likely sleep better than at home.

CampMama

Jun 29, 2010
Does your 2 year old still sleep in a crib? I think sleeping bags are a pain! We started camping with our little one last year, when he was nearly 3, and our youngest was about 10 months.

We put a pack-n-play on the fold-down table area (no cushions, just on the hard surface) for the baby, and this works really well. Our pup is super super tiny, so this does end up taking up quite a lot of space.

Our 3 year old slept on the bunk with regular sheets. Tucked under the mattress they seemed like they would hold him in, but he ended up crawling in bed with us anyway! I also have a sheet folded in half and sewn.... like a sleeping bag made of a sheet, but bigger and less constricting. He seems to like this well and we are going to try it this season when it gets hot.
Hope that helps!

michaeliack

Nights camped in 2011- 6
Mar 27, 2011
Our AC keeps the camper cold as a meat locker. We recently bought a "double wide" Kelty sleeping bag and love it. Planning on getting a second one for our little ones to share. Who knew they came in double wide?

acenorm

My 2 cents, probably worth 1.
Mar 30, 2011
Shamong, NJ
One of the reasons I got a PUP with heated matresses. My girls(2&4) have the kid sleeping bags that are light weight, so I just turn the matresses on and they stay warm even if they kick out when it is colder at night. When we had the tent, I was constantly checking on them and recovering them and wasn't getting any sleep. Also, when in the tent, I would start them in their sleeping bags and covered them with the comforter and they usually stayed under that since it was heavier and barely moved.

Best Regards,
Norm

Chewie48

May 6, 2009
Columbiana, OH
Our kids have always used sleeping bags in our PUP and even now in our Hybrid. Definitely makes setting up their bed much easier and gives each kids his/her own space. My kids would fight too much saying "give me back the covers!".

cwolfman13

Super Active Member
Feb 9, 2011
Another sleeping bag guy here....not just for DS, but both DW and I prefer them when we're camping.....we're most often in the mountains though where even in mid summer it can be quite chilly once the sun goes down and in the early A.M.

We tried sheets and blankets a few years ago when we were tent camping and upgraded from our therma rest mats to a queen blow-up. We were cold all night. There's another couple we often camp with who camp in a TT and only use sheets and blankets. They complain just about every morning about how cold it was and they couldn't sleep and clamour on in disbelief when DW and I tell them we slept fine and weren't cold at all unless we had to get out of bed for whatever reason. Every time we camp with them we tell them they just need to get a couple good sleeping bags and they'll sleep like a log.

We bought a couple Coleman oversized 20 degree bags and they keep us nice and cozy. They're not the double wide as mentioned up thread, but they are larger than a regular bag, so I've never had a problem with feeling constricted. They're nice too because they have a removable inner fleece lining that you can take out if you're feeling a bit too warm.

mhc77

Apr 8, 2011
We also have a 2 and 3 year old and we started with sleeping bags but they just did not stay in so now we do a sheet under, a sheet on top and then they each have a full size heavier blanket.

BUT, we are going to switch to a sheet, a blanket and a down comforter on each bed now because.....my daughter (the 2 year old) fell out of their bunk last week when we were camping!! so now, hubby and i are each going to sleep with a kid to make sure THAT doesn't happen again! The noise she made when she hit the floor was terrifying...of course there isn't a bump on her but i'm too scared now.

greatest camping toy for our kids on a hot day??? playing in our beer cooler...they had a blast scooping and dumping the water!

Mercedes

Orchid

Sharp Shootin' Grandma
May 8, 2011
Florida by way of WV and MD
CampMama said:
We put a pack-n-play on the fold-down table area (no cushions, just on the hard surface) for the baby, and this works really well.

I was going to suggest this also. I was going to do that for my 2 year old grandson until I tried and found we had enough floor space for the crib and could still walk around it.

As far as bunk ends, make sure the flaps are secure under the bunk so there is no chance of a little one slipping out. Put pillows or other things around the edges as extra insurance.

I also plan to put the drink cooler - very heavy - in front of the door to be sure a child couldn't get out in the night. A latch up high is a good idea also.

rpm2203

sure - that's fine
Sep 7, 2003
Southern Ontario, Canada
we do the sleeping bag thing for our 8 yo and he is fine. He often wriggles out of it, but that's fine. We also put the bunk-end warmer on low unless it is real hot out. dw and I just use blankets.

kdz5

Apr 20, 2009
I recently bought some electric blankets on clearance and use those UNDER the fitted sheet. That way they stay warm most of the night anyway cause it has an automatic turn off. My DS's (6 and 4) use blankets from home and their pillow pets for pillows. DS1 uses the blanket i made him a while back that has fleece on one side and jersey knit on the other. DS2 uses this tiny baby blanket that he has to sleep with, but i also put down some other blanket that he ends up using as well. DD is only 8 mo, so we use the extra pillows from our udinette to block her in on the booth dinette when its folded down to a bed. She takes up half and the dog takes up the other half. We only recently got the electric blankets but i could totally tell a difference for the kids when they crawled in bed with us. Their lil toes were not ice cube cold and it was later then it usually would be. Middle of the summer we won't need but early and late season camping its very nice to have. Oh and they do have these blow up kids beds that we have taken camping, but while ds1 pretty much stayed in his, i was constantly having to put ds2 back up in his cause he would squirm out into the middle of the 2 beds and be w/o covers.