Bedding vs Sleeping bags?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Limmer, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Limmer

Limmer Member

I am looking for advice from the experts. My husband and I are debating bedding vs sleeping bags for warmth and dryness. This will be our first year in a PUP and I love the look of all the renos that have cute matching bedding. DH thinks we will be warmer and drier with our sleeping bags. He also thinks it will have the added effect of stopping our girls from killing each other sharing blankets (I may agree with him on this). Right now the girls share an air mattress but have separate sleeping bags and we share a queen sleeping bag.
    Either choice will preferably live in the PUP for the summer.

So we turn to opinions from those that have been there, done that. What say you?

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer bedding. I sleep better with sheets, etc. However, it is a PITA to make the bed. On mine after I added a topper I can't leave the bedding on when I collapse. That means I have to make the bed every time I set up, which sucks on quick 1-2 night trips.

With a decent down sleeping bag you would likely be warmer in the winter than using covers. For summer use though I would rather have a sheet. Too hot for a bag, even a lightweight summer one.

If we are going for a quick weekend trip then sleeping bags tend to win out as they are more convenient to use, but I still miss having sheets/covers.

However - I admit I really like my Star Wars matching quilts in mine, or the space themed ones we have for slightly colder temps.

Fbird, Nico's Mama and Jorja like this.
  3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

The DW thought she wanted sheets till she had to make the bed, we got us a 2 person sleeping bag and have not regretted it.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

With my last camper I alternated between sheets and sleeping bag, but got sick and tired of my side kick complaining she was cold because she refused to sleep IN the sleeping bag (she hates the confining feeling). So I promised that in the NTU camper which had more storage space we can use actual bedding. I use jersey jersey sheets and fleece blankets. I can keep the sheets and the lighter fleece on the bed all the time which saves time. The heavier fleece stays in a space saver bag and I just roll out the excess air. Then again my current camper has AC and a furnace so we can stay reasonable comfortable. However i can see where a separate sleeping bag for the kids who share a bunk may be more ideal. I considered making a sleeping bag type thing out of sheets if I still had my old camper, but still faced the delema of a very picky girl who for some reason sleeps like a starfish. [::)]

5. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

We use sleeping bags. When it’s hot, we sleep on top of the bag with just a thin blanket. It’s easier than sheets.

theseus likes this.
  6. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Coming over to the pup from tent camping, we are looking forward to using regular bedding. When tenting, we used a queen-sized air mattress and basically used the sleeping bags as bedding. One under, one over with sheets and additional blankets as needed. Who knows? As we spend time in the pup, we may go back to this method. With the heater, I doubt it.

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

We have a sheet over the mattress and use sleeping bags. In the summer I like to at least have the bottom of the bag zippered to keep the feet warm.

Ladiesman likes this.
  8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Bedding. I hate the way a sleeping bag wraps around me when I try to turn over.

The only time I would consider a bag is cold temps.

sanrico and Katskamper like this.
  9. world traveler

world traveler Member

We like bedding but use sleeping bags as blankets, with a cotton blanket under. If needed, we can zip up the bags in any configuration -warmer/ligher. Didn't have to do that yet even in the 40s, but with finance. For colder temp we go with electric site, and electric blanket with a cotton blanket under. I personally sleep better with bedding, and my kid likes to pull the blanket over the head when it's cold - I don't think it would work with the bag without waking up.

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I use the sleeping bag as a blanket unless it really cold then I zip it up.

11. myride

myride Well-Known Member

X2

12. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Bedding. No question. Sheets and a comforter depending on the weather. We even have pillows that stay in the pup as well. I'm kind of surprised how many have chosen sleeping bags. [:O][:O][:O][:O]

Beekeeper1 and Orchid like this.
  13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I agree 100%. We also have bedding, including pillows, that stays in the camper except when being washed. Once we get home from a trip, I wash the sheets and pillow cases (and comforters if needed) then remake the beds from the outside. I have cheap fitted rubberized covers, from Walmart, that I put over the entire bed, comforters and all. Stays all nice and clean until we are set up on our next trip.

Even as a tent camper, I haven't used sleeping bags since I was a kid. Always made up all the beds with real bedding.

14. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Ditto

jnc likes this.
  15. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Some of us like to camp.

16. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

X3

17. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

We use Two identical Coleman sleeping bags we had from our tent camping days, we open them up, use one below & one above. In cooler weather we zip them together to form one large 2-person bag, if it gets REALLY cold, we have a furniture blanket we throw over the top.

18. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

i have done all of the above.

i have various sleeping bags, in tent & pup, i use it below me, with fitted sheet on top of it. ( cold comes from bottom up.)
    i also sewed the flat sheet to the fitted sheet at the foot end- never comes untucked. bitch to fold though.
    microfiber sheets dont absorb humidity like cotton ones, feels drier in wet climates.
    blankets on top, layers. buy sheets one size smaller than listed bed size, since the mattresses are thinner. i twist up excess sheet & tie a knot.
    anything polyester on top will also trap heat, prevent moisture from getting into bedding.

even without heater, staying warm is easy.
    without AC, staying cool in Texas can be a challenge.

plus,
    sheets are FAR EASIER to wash & dry.
    no ziiiiiiiiiiiiiip noise when getting up for 3 am pitstop.

19. davido

davido Active Member

I put a bottom sheet on the beds at the start of the season, and wash it as needed, several times during the season. But the bottom sheet is just to keep the mattress from getting dirty. We use sleeping bags. Big, comfortable ones. And we store them just inside the trailer's doorway so that we can access them to wash them when we get home each trip. This arrangement seems to be a good balance for us.

Adina*Moo likes this.
  20. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

I like sleeping bags, and my wife likes bedding. We use bedding :rolleyes: