Bedding vs Sleeping bags?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Limmer, Apr 17, 2018.

1. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

A couple of people mentioned that making the beds was a pain. My dw makes the beds after I put up the shepherds hook, and before put the bungies on the bottom of the bunk ends. Making the beds from the outside saves a LOT of time and aggravation.

MsMac likes this.
  2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Big, fat , double wide bag. It's cold at night were we camp in the summer so it's always a sleeping bag.

3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Fitted sheets below and sleeping bags above. It usually gets cold where we camp and we don't like to run the furnace at night. Sleeping bags are also important for kids sharing mattresses--it means they are sleeping next to each other instead of together.

4. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Do the same as you do now. Even in the tent we slept on an air mattress and when it was warm it was sheets and a light blanket and cold was the double zipped sleeping bag.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

:rolleyes: C'mon, you're not a newbie, you know everyone camps differently.

Since we're in campers, not sure if any of us meet the original definition of camping. This is an enlightening discussion, though. I had no idea that people used sleeping bags in campers. Never really gave it any thought.

6. Limmer

Limmer Member

Thank you for all the opinions! We are usually all zipped in a sleeping bag even into August here! Most of what we had planned for this summer was booked before the PUP so no electrical sites for us. I think we will try our bags and then try sheets and blankets for a short trip and see what works best for us. Maybe even bedding for us and bags for the kids to keep the peace. ;)

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I think you mistook my meaning.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I like sleeping bag myself but DW likes bedding, She wins as Happy Wife Happy Life I have removed the zippers from my sleeping bags, years ago, I awoke one cold morning while tent camping on the river, I had a cold clammy feeling at my feet, actually felt strange, then it hit me a darn snake had decided to use my bag to warm up too. Problem was there was only room for one of us. It was the fastest I have ever came out of a bag, I did not even need coffee to wake me up, We took the bag carefully to the creek and duped the snake out into the water, turned out is was a water moccasin, I sat down on a stump by the fire and took the zipper out of my bag. This was about 30years ago and I have been thru a lot f bags but I always remove the zipper. (True Story)

9. tombiasi

I don't think I would have liked that much. I learned early, check you boots, check you bag. If it crawled in after you were asleep, not much you could do.

10. nineoaks2004

Snakes do not really scare me, but that was to close for comfort tho. If it had wandered into camp I would have probably either caught it and moved it back to the water. I am a swamp rat, have been all my life living, playing, hunting , Gatoring, fishing etc. In fact my son Gator hunts now. I am getting a lttle old for that part now. (reflexes are not that fast, it is Hell to BE old" :)

11. tombiasi

There is another alternative, I don't want to go there yet.

12. nineoaks2004

Sleeping bag liners will keep the bags clean, I made mine from sheets cut to size and sewn.
    in hot weather just use the liners , They do help keep the bags clean especially with kids

13. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

We went from sleeping bags in the tent to regular bedding and it was the best i ever slept while camping. My son would always squirm his way out of the sleeping bag and it was a hassle trying to get him back inside of it, or i wouldn't sleep well because I was always checking on him to make sure he was in it and warm. Regular bedding he knows how to cover up and add/remove covers to keep himself comfortable.

14. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

We use bedding, we have bedding that is dedicated to camping even when tent camping. Our grandsons have sleeping bags for camping with the scouts in tents. Even have travel pillows for camping.

15. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

That sounds like what we do as well. He holds up the metal support for the canvas while I run around and get the sheets all tucked in. It took a couple of trips and a lot of *#$%^ on my part before we realized that this works really well. :D

I'm glad we don't do the sleeping bag thing any more. It was just too much cuddling time for me. LOL

16. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

You know the routine too.

17. lkc

lkc Active Member

Orchid--what do you call those cheap rubberized covers you say you cover your beds/mattresses with? Sounds like something I would like to look into--Thanks!

18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Here is the link to them. They sell them in the stores, except my store didn't have king size, so I had to have that one shipped site to store. Apparently, they are vinyl :laugh: I just didn't know what to call them on my post. They are big enough to cover the whole, fully made bed and protect everything. If your roof would still go down, you could even put pillows under them. Our, unfortunately won't so we have to store the pillows separately.

19. lkc

lkc Active Member

Thanks a bunch Orchid---I'm trying to make things easiest as possible, but I must sleep with bedding---I think I'm somewhat claustrophobic--can't do sleeping bags--plus have to throw off the covers at least once a night to get over a hot flash --haha:/

Orchid likes this.
  20. Justalex13

Justalex13 New Member

My kids are in sleeping bags and the wife and I are on bedding and I added an air mattress on our side.

90 palomino sxl TV 03 F150