Bedding vs Sleeping bags?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Limmer, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Fischymom

Fischymom Active Member

Regular bedding but I have a sleeping bag under us for cushion.

Orchid likes this.
  2. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

As of now we all use bedding in my pup. I thought my wife was crazy when she suggested it but after sleeping in them the last few trips I have admittedly loved it. We have the kids beds with bedding currently but we are considering switching them to sleeping bags because it is a pain to breakdown the beds and remake them every night after using the dinette and bench seat during the day. In fact we usually don't break down the beds and these areas are never used. Very inconvenient.

3. Daisy on my toe

Daisy on my toe Active Member

My son uses a sleeping bag because for him part of the fun of camping is sleeping in one. I do still put a fitted sheet over his mattress. My husband an I use bedding, I just find it more comfortable. I have a couple of soft bins that I trow all of the pillows, sheets and blankets in so that they are all together, that was when we are packing up for a trip I can just grab those and not have to try to find and gather everything we need, it makes the process much faster.

4. Laurel

Laurel New Member

After camping in sleeping bags for 50 years, when we bought a new pop-up last summer I splurged for cute bedding. :) The kids still use their sleeping bags (because we can put 3 or 4 kids on a king pop-out bed. But, hubby and I love our sheets, comforter, and cute pillows.

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I love my bedding. I started in the clipper with a sleeping bag and hated it. The cabover bunk is warmer than the rest of the RV, so I would be pulling it off me - even in wanter. Then I'd get cold and would have to try pulling it back over me only to be to hot again.

So, I got some cheap sheets and blankets and a comforter. They worked better but I decided I wanted luxury. So now, I use these sheets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DFK9TRG/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=A33JICP0BHOOEJ&psc=1

They are soft as silk, cool in summer and warm in winter. I use a plush blanket and top it off with a thick faux fur/sherpa comforter. It's my bit of cozy heaven at the end of the day. When I got the FnR, the first thing I did was set up the bedding the same way. If it gets extra cold, I add a thick faux fur throw on top - but I rarely need it. I happily deal with making the bed after washing to have the luxury.

As a kid, we always used sleeping bags. The old style canvas with flannel inside. I hated the nylon style bags as they were always cold inside when you moved around, and whoever created mummy bags should have been cursed with an ancient egyptian curse (those things are awful). If I had to do a sleeping bag now, it would have to be the flannel style (unless they make faux fur ones now).

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have always used bedding in any unit I have owned. I like to sleep with my feet out of the cover, when canoe camping I usually either lay the bag down and then flip 1/2 over me but no zipper. In fact I took the zippers off my bags years ago when I woke up with a cottonmouth in the bag with me. (quickest I ever left the bag or woke without coffee :))

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I have both and tried none! Bedding for me , sleeping bags for the kido. Me and sleeping bags never mixed.

8. Ruby Jean

Ruby Jean Member

To me the sleeping bag is part of camping.
    Here in the Pacific NW the nights are normally cool enough for my very comfy double size bag that is shared with 1 - 3 dogs. This past weekend we went up to Rasar State Park near the little town of Concrete WA. The daytime temps were upper 80's so the pup was still going to be toasty inside at bedtime. I brought the sheets/thin blanket to try. Weight wise it was ok but the top sheet wouldn't stay tucked so I kept waking up tangled in the sheet with feet uncovered. When it finally cooled down enough to need the blanket I had to wrestle it out from under the dogs who ended up with most of it anyway.

9. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Comforter, sheets and lots of pillows on top of a memory foam mattress. Whole point to buying a camper was to move up in comfort.

Toedtoes likes this.
  10. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Always used sleeping bags in the pups... TT has a real queen bed, therefore actual bedding.

11. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Back pack pad or self inflating pads on top of the cushions for us, sleeping sack or fleece over pads, poncho liner or blanket as a covering; will use the sleep sack if ultra cold, getting the wife a thin electric blanket to keep her prone longer so I can get to the coffee first...

BillyMc likes this.
  12. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

We are firmly in the bedding camp with the PUP. Bags are usually too warm for the weather we camp in, they are harder to get in and out of and to move around in, and they are a pain to wash. When tent camping we had bags, but we just opened them up and used them like blankets over regular bed sheets.

The PO of our PUP gave us the sheets and comforters they already had in the camper so we use those with a couple of quilts. The sheets stay on the mattresses when the camper is closed up (one less thing to do when we set up). Comforters go in a vacuum storage bag and only come out in cool weather. Quilts get folded and lay on the dinette when the camper is closed, then get spread out on the beds when we set up.

However, for solo tent-camping I use a mummy-bag and a bed sheet in a compression sack.

13. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

You could always use the Search button up above , this topic has been covered a lot and you might find more opinions there . Good Luck

14. Bamabrat

Bamabrat Member

We have mattress pads, sheets, and duvet covers. Not as hot, and southeast U.S. knows hot + humid. Last night kids wanted to carport camp in PUP. Turned on a.c. and woke up 7 hours later. Practicing for 1st real pup trip labor day week in north GA blue ridge mntns.

Attached Files:

Rik Peery likes this.
  15. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

We use those for our younglings they are completely nighttime potty-trained...

16. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Are your "mattresses" like 1 inch yoga mats or are ours replacements? How thick can you get and still close the top?

17. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

That is going to vary from PUP to PUP. Measure from bed platform to the top of the box wall and subtract from the ceiling down to the seal. This will be total clearance, but you need to subtract some for room for the canvas to fold. Also allow room for things mounted to the ceiling like AC, lights, or shelves. Subtracting clearances from total space will leave you with "total" mattress room.

18. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Thanks!

19. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Bedding here too provided we have heat in the winter. If no heater then mummy bags like we use for tent camping.

20. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We have both on ours... Like the bedding and sleeping under the sheets but since we are boondocking a lot off-grid it is so nice to have the top cover two sleeping bags zipped together.

Can crawl into the sleeping bags if need be to keep warm off grid...

When the kids come along with us they always want to sleep outside somewhere in a sleeping bag....

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]