Bedding

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by kassiemom, Mar 25, 2016.

1. kassiemom

kassiemom New Member

How do you set up the bunk ends? I am in canada with unpredictable weather to say the least. If we make the bed up like at home will the sheets and bunks get damp? should we use sleeping bags? How often do you wash your sheets and sleeping bags? Do any of you use a mattress pad or protector? We have a 2016 Rockwood HW with heated mattresses not sure if a mattress protector will affect the heat coming through.
    Thank you

2. BaysideJim

BaysideJim Member

The sheets and bunks should not get damp....unless there is a leak or you spill your drinks! I use a combination os sheets/sleeping bags. I cut down some fitted fleece sheets to cover/protect the mattress pads. Then use a sleeping bag unzipped(on all but the closest nights) as a comforter. fleece/wool socks and a watch cap will go a long ways to keeping you warm. Does your pup have a heater ? The mattress protector will not affect the mattress heater at all.

Have fun camping!

3. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

I don't make the bed. We just put a sheet on it and my wife and I each get our own comforter. Neither of us like tucked in sheets.

4. kassiemom

kassiemom New Member

yes we have a heater and AC

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

We use a cheaper memory foam topper, and then we put a fitted sheet over that. Then my wife uses a sheet and fleece blanket and I usually use a sleeping bag. If it is cooler, I will zip into the bag. If it is warmer, I usually just use it like a comforter. If it's really hot, I have an extra sheet I can use to just cover up.

6. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

Kassiemom,
    Sheets or sleeping bags is personal preference. We like sheets and a comforter. We usually wash the sheets after each trip (we are basically weekenders). We also use a heated mattress pad as our mattresses are not heated.
    In Ontario we have found the months May, June, September and October you probably need a comforter and some kind of heater. Like this one: ceramic heater Months of July and August you may need A/C all depending where you are of course.
    Just a reminder that mattress sizes in RVs are not the same as home mattress sizes.
    Our 'queen' sheets from Walmart are a little big for the bunk mattress. We just tuck in the extra.
    Good luck and happy camping.

7. kstephens

kstephens Member

We make the bed on our end - it is actually more comfortable than our bed at home. High density memory foam mattress topper, mattress pad, fitted sheet, sheet, comforter - we strip the bed and wash them all after every trip. We have a large rubbermaid tup that we keep the bedding and towels in on the way to a camping trip. These turn into our dirty clothes hamper that we usually keep in the back of our car when camping - when coming home we stuff all the dirty clothes/sheets we can fit in there - wash and repack and them.

My kids (6 year old twins) like to sleep with sleeping bags on the other bunk. We still use a mattress pad, and fitted sheet and they usually sleep on that and cover up with sleeping bags.

It's easy to slide those tubs in the closed pop up when leaving.

8. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Like some other posters, we use memory foam on top of the mattress, then a fitted sheet and opened fleece sleeping bags as a comforter. We keep the bed made when we close the camper so it is all ready for our next trip. We wash every thing in a front load washer every couple of trips.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We do sleeping bags and blankets/comforters .. we use a open sleeping bag for the lower (fitted sheet) and then use a combination of other blankets, comforters and sleeping bags for the top sheet depending on temps.

10. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

We do not have heated mattresses. I bought jersey sheets in one size too small for the camper beds (queen for the "king" and twin for the "full") and they fit fabulously!!! They are soft and cool. I chose the "warm taupe" color.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Luxury-Modal-Cotton-Jersey-Knit-Sheet-Set-White/15185291

Then, I bought these burgundy/brownstone comforters for the beds, in the right sizes:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Microfiber-Comforter-Navy-Blue-Eyes/13003816

They were a bit long but that was nice to tuck-in!

Hubby wanted a foam topper so I chose these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/5-Zone-2-Convuluted-Foam-Topper/15581043

I only had to trim off a bit on the sides to make them fit right.

It all looked and felt great! I didn't spend a lot either and got free shipping :)

11. WingShot

WingShot New Member

When camping together, the Princess likes fleece sheets, thermal blanket, and down comforter. Just like at home. If it's just me on a hunting trip then I zip two sleeping bags together and call it good. Usually pretty cold at night where we camp, so long underwear and beanie caps are in order. It's just us (and the dog) so the other bunk holds all the "gear". The dinette table goes outside and the dog gets that area. We do have a furnace but mostly boondock, so only run it just before bed and first thing in the morning.

12. kassiemom

kassiemom New Member

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Unpredictable weather is one reason we went to sheets and blankets rather than sleeping bags when we moved to a pop-up. We have been known to encounter temperatures from below freezing to 100F on one camping trip. Both of our pop-ups had little clearance over the beds (we added memory foam), so we could not leave anything more than the mattress pad and bottom sheet on when we closed up.
    We like flannel sheets all year, and add/subtract polartec blankets and a wool-filled quilt as needed. I have a half blanket that goes on my side of the bed, since I sleep colder than my husband.
    In cold weather (we've camped into the teens F), if we have power, we've taken an electric blanket or mattress pad, which works great.

Here's a section with some older threads on the subject:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=79.0

14. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

After a few trips in the Arrowhead [ALPU] we got tired of the wrestling match to turn the "gaucho" couchy thingy into the sorta queen size bed, and now leave it arrayed in the bed mode. Find it much more comfortable with a foam topper over the cushions. Use a fitted sheet on the bottom, flat sheet on top. Over that is a fuzzy blanket in warm conditions, and a comforter for late fall hunting trips. Made our own cases for two small pillows. Sheets and pillow cases get washed after every trip, and the bed is made up right away. We like to be able to hit the road in under 30 minutes when the spirit moves on a Friday afternoon.

15. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Depends on the trip. DW prefers more traditional bedding, sheets and blanket/comforter. If I'm going solo, a sleeping bag direct on the foam mattress is about as much time and effort as I will put to the bedding.

16. leahdan

leahdan New Member

We use bedding with a mattress protector (ikea!) And a cheap eggshell foam topper. Our heated matress still works through the protector and even the foam (just takes a bit to heat up). We're in ON too and do an east coast trip annually - bedding gives us a lot more options with inconsistent night temps :)

On the flip side the kids have a mattress protector, flannel sheet and sleeping bags. The flannel sheet stops the sleeping bags from sliding and the sleeping bags stop the kids from kicking each other lol.

17. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

do not use your foam topper on top of your heated matress while using the heated feature. You will over heat the matress,it's not safe.