BedWedgies

Discussion in 'Featured Products' started by PopUpSteve, Sep 3, 2011.

1. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Keep an eye out there are enough CNC at auction.

2. ChocoChock01

I have used both plastic tape and thin wood shims (softer material AND distribute some of the pressure).

3. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

http://www.persh.org/TentTrailer/Wedgie1.JPG
    They are the guide (wedgie) and stop (shortie) used on Fleetwood/Coleman pup's bed rails.

4. ChocoChock01

Nice picture showing the breakage in process and the pressure point!

5. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

^x2

That pic must be for the front bed rail on the door side where you can see the wedge.
    One of the reasons for the crack is misalignment with the track for the rear bed when you push the front bed in with force. The impact at the opening of the track's lower edge was transferred to the plastic wedge.

The cure: I now stop at the last few inches before the wedge meets the rear track and pull the front rail into the rear track by hand.

Another reason was explained well by EV2 website. When the bed is extended, the pressure from the weight of the bed is on the upper part of the wedge where the crack occurs.

The cure: Support the bed while it is being pulled out and install the poles while the bed is being supported. 2-person job. Easy to say i know.

6. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

See what you think...if "A" was pushed-in 1st, and then "B", wouldn't it prevent/minimize side-wall damage? (Wall is above wedges)

[​IMG]

Just a thought...that may have been discussed already? [RTM]

7. swordfish

I don't understand what you are suggesting from your drawings. What is "side-wall damage"? Please elaborate.

For what it is worth, my fleetwood manual says "Beginning with the bed most distant from the access door." No reason was given.

8. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Gouging of the interior side-wall by a rail end.

9. swordfish

To my understanding, here is an exaggerated side view of what is happening in the bed rail without a proper support when sliding. Gouging by an aluminum wedge or cracking in a plastic wedge are caused by the same action.
    I am still not clear whether which end goes in first matters.

[​IMG]

10. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

My thought...some units, (mostly smaller) the bed rails pass each other. That was my only point... [:D]

11. ChocoChock01

It doesn't mattter. The wear is happening in the static mode, and some in the active mode. The breakage happens either while the "wedgies" open or closed, most likely not in the process of opening or closing. My unscientific guess????? It occurs while the beds are closed. Why, do you ask? Where the damage on the rail is located (exaggerated w AL bedwedgies) and the extent of the damage. Once the beds are extended, how much extended motion will be exerted at these points, over the thousands of units in the field (pun intended)? [:D] I have observed wear from agitation (driving) that is greater than an occasional agitation from a restless night.Thought??

I believe Masters & Johnson had an article on this topic. [RTM]

12. Bigpopper2008

Bigpopper2008 Member

Thanks for reviving this thread. I replaced broken 2 wedgies last year. We now have noticed serious wear on the slide behind dinette cushions after the trip to Az. It looks like that is the stress point where the Fleetwood Pup flex is greatest. I am going to take the suggestion of filing / sanding the wedgies and using plastic shims.

13. ChocoChock01

That is what I did w our while we had it.
    Don't forget to shim while traveling.

BTW: I had the BedWedgies on a 2008 Fleetwood Saratoga

14. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

I have the original ends on the slides of my Fleetwood Santa Fe. There is a small crack in one of the but otherwise they are still in good condition.
    I am, however, seeing wear on the rails (black dust and damages) on the rails which does occur when traveling. There is some sort of Teflon tape from the manufacturer but it doesn't seem to be enough to eliminate this wear.

Where did you purchase this plastic tape, and has it worked for you?
    Does anyone else with a Fleetwood pop-up have a solution to this problem?

15. RSH

RSH Member

BedWedgies installation on a Fleetwood UTAH 2008

I just installed 4 of the bedwedgies on my Fleetwood Utah with little problem. The only (slightly) challenging part was installing the wedgie on the starboard side aft rail. I followed Mr. Crabb's instructions and inserted a screwdriver between the joining rails to provide room for the install. No problems at all. Just leave the rail extended full length to provide maximum flexibility and you will be good to go. I have attached several pictures showing the installation configuration and the fit of the wedgie into the companion rail. I know some have worried about excessive wear during transit but, to be honest, I see very little potential for any structural problems to arise. I may put some tape on the bottom channel of the rail to mitigate possible wear but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it should I forget to do so. Happy camping. -Robert

Attached Files:

16. ChocoChock01

I will need to look up the plastic tape I ordered and will post it.

17. Rumble

Rumble New Member

I just saw an ad for BedWedgies today! The roll pins on our king slide is trashed and we were looking for a solution. We might give this a try! [RTM]