bee hives around pup

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by cjjtc, Jun 20, 2010.

1. cjjtc

cjjtc New Member

Every year I get small bee hives either in the a/c cover, behind the spare tire, or under the propane tank cover. Does anybody know how to prevent this? It's not a problem getting rid of the bees, but it is a nuisance.

2. jnavin

jnavin New Member

This past May I had a yellow-jacket nest inside my propane tank cover. I still have the old-style tank and I tried to open the cover to check the tank and fittings in case I needed to update. I had a bear of a time getting rid of those yellow jackets. I got stung a couple of times in the process. I'm not sure what to do to prevent them from making nests inside there. I haven't ever taken the cover off the spare tire.

3. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

It's why I removed both the spare tire cover and propane covers (both vinyl), not only for the bees but the mice also liked to set-up shop in them.

But the mud daubers that built a "cave" under the flooring went unnoticed until one day we were heading on a 300 mile plus journey to the mountains and I stopped at the edge of town where I usually buy gas and I noticed as I was topping the tank there were bees flying about - thought they had made a nest somewhere around the gas pump! We traveled further and gassed up again at a place the price is much less then our final destination and I still noticed a bee or two buzzing about. After we were on our way again it dawned on me that I was the carrier! So we stopped at a rest area and I got as far off as I could - got out and took a peek and sure enough there was their castle. Left the driver door open, took a stick about 4' long and knocked the hive off and there was only one critter left and he/she/it was too tired to resist and I jumped into the truck and drove off! Now I also have a look under the pup when it's setting about.

4. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

I haven't had the wasp/bee issue with the PUP, but, had taken my tent camping portapotty out of my tent camping trailer, so I could post usage procedure on one of the forums, left it sitting outside to go into a shed once built, and just this past weekend went to move it......blasted hornets/wasps, whatever built one heck of a nest in the bowl under the lid. Had to use a claw rake to turn it over, open the lid and shoot the nest with hornet killer. Had to repeat 2nd day as many were out doing their nectar thing. (Good thing no one needed to use that baby!)

I do use a spray around the PUP on a regular basis "Home Defense" - mainly for ants, but a misting on the propane tank area, spare tire (got zapped years back on a van spare on the rear with fabric cover - bees galore).

5. Woodzeke

Woodzeke New Member

Yellow jackets have really been bad this year. My old tv is a 99 Durango, I had two nest full around the void between the rear of front door, and the leading ege of the back door. Three nests around the font door hinges. and two nest underneath the hood. They did this in less than two weeks. On the pup, I got two more nest behind the grill of the fridge. I duct taped screen door screen over the all the grills-only during storage. I haven't done anything to the ac cover yet. My pup is under the carport, so took the spare tire cover off only to find another nest on the rim. Nothing underneath propane cover so far. Will be checking it very careful. I have seen a screen made for the gas furnace.