Before takedown, do i loosen back stabilizers? And front jack?

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by lynnmarie0123, Jul 7, 2020.

1. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Active Member

Im ready to put pop up away as were expecting lots of heavy storms.

do i raise the 2 back stabilizers that are now on ground? Do i raise the One front jack (under front bunk) before lowering my roof?

2. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

Lower the roof while the camper is still level. Then crank up the stabs. I like to lower the tongue jack to help the roof shed water.

3. lynnmarie0123

Ok because i read on here that if lowered with back stabilizers still lowered tight to ground it causes “binding” whatever that means.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Depend on the manufacturer and the time period your trailer was built as manufacturers flipped flipped on this, but some people raise the stabs, then lower the roof all done with the trailer level side to side and front to back.

The saying... roof up, stabs down . Stabs up, roof down.

5. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

What lift system do you have? I am assuming it's a goshen lift, because Forest River seems to use it exclusively. The manual says to lower the stabs before lifting the roof, but then says to raise them before lowering. So I don't think it actually matters so much, though following the procedure exactly can't hurt anything.
    With my Rockwood (also made by Forest River), I raise and lower the top with the stabs down, but they are just snugged.
    In any case, it's important that the camper is level before raising or lowering the top--far bigger a concern than if the stabs are down or not imho.

lynnmarie0123 likes this.
  6. lynnmarie0123

Okaaaaaaay......

7. lynnmarie0123

thank you that makes sense!!!!! Not sure on the lift. I think it says PowerWinch ?

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If you look at Coleman pups from the 60's it will say stabs down roof up, got the 80's it will be the opposite, roof up, stabs down. Same goes for Bonair, Palomino, all of them.. they seem to flip flop with each generation of pup.. My 2004 Palomino was roof up stabs down .

myride likes this.
  9. fronsm

fronsm New Member

My manual for my 1996 Viking says front should be lower than back, stabs down, then level, then raise. It doesn't say anything about taking down. I've read various comments about this process as it relates to putting the door in place, too.

10. mandolinpicker

mandolinpicker Member

With the Fleetwoods in the 2000s the line was "Up before down." Roof goes up then stabilizers go down. Stabilizers go up then roof goes down.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Unless there is a mechanical interlock, it should not matter.

What matters is that the frame is level and not twisted or bent, before you start cranking the roof down.

fronsm likes this.