Before you buy a new lawn mower

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Raycfe, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I was talking to someone I work with and he was shopping for a new riding lawn mower. His just stop running. He couldn't find any new ones for sale and if he did the prices where crazy.
    So I asked what happened ............. doing his leaves he ran over something and the mower stalled and won't restart. Cranks but no start and all the repair shops were busy.
    If this happens to you ..... the second thing to do, (the first is check that you have good fuel) check for a broken flywheel key .......... its made to break if you hit something ....... and a 3 pack is like 12 dollars on Amazon. With a broken key the timing will be off and the mower will not start

Just saying

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

I pulled one that was half sheared. Looked like a stepped key. Even that was enough to not fire at the right time.

3. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

My brother had a walk-behind where his kid hit a small stump and bent the shaft... instantly totaling it (it was a nice high end one too). I thought most riders/tractors had a belt driven deck... you should slip the belt before causing engine damage I would think...

MNTCamper likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

It depends what you hit. By me the roots grow high. I think because were by the shore and the lower water may be salt water, or its just because the ground is sand. I blew a blade 3 weeks ago, almost 45 degree bend. Neighbor last year bent gis shaft and destroyed the machine. I am going to check on this because while mine is working, its not exactly running as smooth as before. I had no idea to look for this.

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Years ago, I pulled a mower crankshaft out and "straighten" it on a hydraulic press. Things you do when you're young and broke. It ran for a few more years.

xxxapache likes this.
  6. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

I was half expecting this to recommend buying a riding mower big enough to tow your trailer around the yard... [:D]

NLB and Annunzi like this.
  7. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I know someone with a very small yard that bought a lawn tractor for the sole purpose of maneuvering their boat into their garage.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I move my camper with my 22 HP Husqvarna lawn tractor.

9. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Active Member

My trailer mover is a 17 hp diesel Bolens, mostly because of the improved rear visibility versus my car or her truck.

regarding flywheels on walk-behinds: I've had cast flywheels crack as well as damage the key. Sears branded Tecumseh mower engines had a different taper on the crank and flywheel than the Tecumseh engine sold as Tecumseh. I don't know the rationale for this decision, but I couldn't use the flywheel I obtained as a replacement on my "Sears" engine.