Bent awning frame

Musictom

Gold Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2021
On our latest trip this weekend, we ran into some story weather. Long story short, our awning itself survived, but the frame itself is pretty twisted.

We own a 2021 Rockwood 2318g, so the awning itself is pretty new. I'd hate to have to replace the entire bag awning.

Does anyone happen to know if one can purchase a replacement frame only?

Thanks.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Unfortunately I haven’t seen any parts only for awnings unless your looking for the bag or actual awning material. Worst case you can use electrical conduit or an expandable pole from a paint roller or tarp pole to make your own awning poles. sadly I’ve learned my lesson the hard way on awnings back when I had my old popup. Thankfully it didnt damage my awning but caused a crack in my roof material and ripped the awning bag a little On the part that attached the awning to the camper.

Musictom

Gold Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2021
How about some photos? I had the same thing happen and I managed to bend the awning channel back into shape.
I just rolled back into town. I'll try and take some pics, but it's twisted pretty badly.
Evidently, my wife and I slept through a pretty hard rainstorm. The awning collected as much rain as it could until it collapsed in the center, bending the (parallel to the pup) awning frame about 45 degrees. It also torqued the channels that hold the extension tubes to where they won't go back into those channels.

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Had the same experience with our 11' dometic bag awning in a storm. The extruded aluminum that goes across the front of the awning was too far gone to bend back. I could not find anyone that just sold the parts needed. I kept the good pieces from the old one as spares, and bought a whole new kit.

The replacement cost for the whole thing was actually better than I thought it would be. Coming in at just under $450 with tax, which would be under $360USD. Still enough to sting, but I honestly figured it would be more costly since parts are always more than expected. You'll probably just have to bite the bullet on this one and get the whole thing.

Musictom

Gold Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2021
Had the same experience with our 11' dometic bag awning in a storm. The extruded aluminum that goes across the front of the awning was too far gone to bend back. I could not find anyone that just sold the parts needed. I kept the good pieces from the old one as spares, and bought a whole new kit.

The replacement cost for the whole thing was actually better than I thought it would be. Coming in at just under $450 with tax, which would be under $360USD. Still enough to sting, but I honestly figured it would be more costly since parts are always more than expected. You'll probably just have to bite the bullet on this one and get the whole thing.
I can learn a $360 lesson. 😁
I was talking with an older full-timer at the CG. He basically said "Welcome the the club". Until you've bent am awning, you're not a real RVer, haha!"

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I can learn a $360 lesson. 😁
I was talking with an older full-timer at the CG. He basically said "Welcome the the club". Until you've bent am awning, you're not a real RVer, haha!"
So true. Not a lesson I want to learn twice though! Things that help are to always have one corner lower than the other to help with drainage. Pack it up if it starts getting real windy. I also now bring 2 of those corkscrew dog leash stakes and put them directly below the awning corners and run a paracord down to ea one from the awning corners to stabilize the whole thing.

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
when one of the poles on the awning on my popup snapped off the frame, i went to the dometic web site and found you can get the frame, just not individual parts. You can get the left half and/or the right half....as i only needed a small part, i did not need an entire half, so i managed rig it up to make it workable.

Annunzi

We had a similar situation in that the corner frames of our Dometic awning got severely bent in a windstorm. We couldn't find replacement parts, so ended up buying a whole new unit and keeping the old one for spare parts. We were actually able to claim the new awning as a comprehensive insurance claim, so it only cost us the deductible of $200. I believe the cost of the 13' awning was about $600, and that was about 1.5 years ago.