Best aftermarket AC gasket

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by undara12, Aug 30, 2021.

1. undara12

undara12 Member

I calked everything in sight but my 2006 (I think) Fleetwood Santa Fe still has a leaking roof. I have turned my attention to the roof mounted air conditioner. It looks like new gaskets costs between $12 and $40 but is there a way to judge quality other than price? What brand do you think would be best and why?

Thank you.

2. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside...

I assume you have tightened the bolts on your A/C as they work loose over time. I don't know that there is a better gasket one over the other. I personally wouldn't pay $40 for a new one. Most of the gaskets I have seen are of the same type of material and same quality.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  3. undara12

undara12 Member

Yep. I think I read that the torque should be around 40 inch pounds. I have a USA made Craftsman, inch pound, needle binding torque wrench. I tightened until the reading was between 25 and 50 in-lb. Three of the bolts did not seem to overly compress the gasket where I could see or feel it. One started out very loose and by the time I reached my desired torque, the gasket was very compressed. I loosened the bolt and will tighten it again tomorrow and watch the compression of the gasket. I am not sure that the torque wrench method is accurate, but the problem may be my wrench and not the method.

I originally found the leak when I had the trailer parked outside for a while. I discovered that discolored water was dripping from one corner of the roof. I tested with a water hose and found that there was a leak somewhere. I don't see a lot of evidence that the AC gasket is leaking but I do see some discoloration in the roof material in the AC opening. I hesitate to test again with a water hose to see if tightening helps. I may just go to replacement.

Thanks for the info.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

theseus likes this.
  5. popup-flyer

popup-flyer Active Member