Best and Worst Thing About Owning a PUP.

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by BikeNFish, Sep 7, 2017.

1. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I see a lot of posts on The Portal from people that are looking for general information before they take the plunge and join the world of PUP ownership.

I'm posting this thread to give those people an idea of what are the best and worst things about owning a PUP. I am also curious to see the varying responses this thread will receive from current PUP owners.

At this moment (and this could be different tomorrow), the best thing about my PUP is that it keeps me warm and dry in bad weather. The worst thing is stressing out about the dew and or raindrops on the canvas on the morning I break camp to go home and then hoping that I've done a decent job in wiping it down before lowering the roof.

What is the best thing and worst thing about owning your PUP?

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

The worst part is when I am opening it. I am always afraid something is going to break.

The best part is it's easy to tow, back up and doesn't take up much space at the house.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I finally (due mostly to medical reasons and age) went dark, but owned PUPs for many years.

dislike: Set up and breakdown especially in inclement weather,
    Having to open it up to pack or unpack.

Easy to maintain
    Keeps you off the ground in bad weather, also all the appliances, sink, water etc.
    Easier to heat and cool than a tent.
    The tags in Fl. are a lot cheaper (Fl. goes by weight)

Jim49525 likes this.
  4. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

What a fun thread!

Best thing: sleeping in my cozy bed on a cool night in that tent-like feeling, but with a comfy bed in a weather-protected camper.

Worst: packing all our crap back in at the end of the trip and then going home and popping it back up to unload and clean.

cpartin69, NothingsChocking and JPBar like this.
  5. Daisy on my toe

Daisy on my toe Active Member

Best-
    Not having to sleep on the ground.
    Not worrying about waking up in a puddle.
    Easy to move and to store.

Worst- Having to break down up in the rain. :(

6. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Pros
    1. Keeps you off the ground
    2. Heated if needed
    3. Place that is dry when it's raining
    4. Easy to tow
    5. Place to sit and eat without mosquitos

Cons
    1. Opening back up to clean after trips
    2. Maintenance costs and insurance
    3. Canvas issues and maintenance

MrsSquid likes this.
  7. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

My kids look forward to sleeping in the camper.

8. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I haven't really found a bad thing yet.....I've had to do a few repairs, & a little customizing,but no big deal, & I don't mind the set up & takedown.....life is good!

Jim49525 likes this.
  9. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I see numerous people say "opening back up to clean". We only do that if things get particularly bad... e.g. if it rained all weekend and the inside got really muddy. Otherwise we clean up at the campsite and generally don't pop back up until the next trip.

If I do need to pop back up for a minor repair I generally don't do a full set up... e.g. I don't put in the bed supports, affix the canvas to the beds, or set up the door. So I can get in and out in just a few more minutes than the repair takes.

Now on to the question:

Best:
    • Low cost
    • Can tow with a minivan and don't have to buy a special vehicle just for a few weekends camping
    • Most of the experience of tent camping with some nicities like better beds and a place to go out of the rain.
    • Extremely efficient floor plans and ample sleeping space compared to similar sized (when towing) travel trailers.

Worst:
    • Having to pop up (at least partially) just to go in and get something
    • Having to pop back up to dry it out after a rainy weekend. Better than a tent though.
    Really that's about all I can think of.

To those that said "expensive to maintain" above, I guess you're comparing to a tent and not a more expensive trailer?

10. TrailerMomma

TrailerMomma Member

Best thing about owing a PUP: I OWN A PUP!!! (don't have to beg, borrow or rent!)

There's a "worst thing"???

11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Just having a camper is great. Love it when we have time to actually use it. Bed is comfy, and I love modding it to suit my needs. Great size and floorplan that is perfect for what we use it for.

I hate the effort that goes into prepping for a trip, and the set up/take down. I can't access anything beyond the area right behind the door when it is down. I do not yet have a lot of dedicated stuff for the camper, so it needs to be popped up, loaded, then popped back down, and the same thing again when we get back. I will be the first to admit, I bring a lot of stuff but I enjoy my comfort and I am not a minimalist camper. It is getting better though!

12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

The best: I camped cheap for 8 years.

The worst: Set up and tear down of camp, followed closely by a lack of hot water and a bathroom.

Moving to a nice TT was fantastic. Twice this summer, we have camped without water hookups for 4 days. We each took a hot shower every night and crapped on a toilet instead of behind a tree. Set up and tear down is much faster. Twice this summer, we have broken camp in the middle of a trip and went somewhere different on a whim.

JPBar likes this.
  13. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

PROS:

• Light weight and easy to tow with our minivan.
    •The family of 5 + 1 dog fit in it and it beats tent camping with the comforts of home (AC or Heat and Refrigerator).

• Reasonable campground rates vs a hotel.
    • Fits in our garage (closed and open).
    • Permanent registration (no renewal costs, not all Provinces or States may offer that).

CONS:

• Opening or closing in inclement weather.
    • Fear of something breaking in the whiffletree while cranking up (happened before but fixed now).
    • Fear or damaging a body panel (1998 Coleman molded plastic parts are really hard to find).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  14. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

The best part:
    1) Low cost of ownership
    2) Big enough for my family and with all the amenities that work for us
    3) Low cost of pulling it vs. TT
    4) Easy maintenance
    5) Pretty much everything stays in camper except cloths and food, but that is where it goes when we pack for a trip. Camper box and coolers go in the back of the truck.

Cons:
    1) I would think tearing down in the rain, but I have not had to do that yet.
    2) DW takes way to much of her personal stuff.

Jim49525 likes this.
  15. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Pros?
    roomy, easier to tow and store, airy.

Cons?
    The one thing that is keeping me from getting another popup is that you can't use it on the road. We don't just park at one place and stay there usually. And we don't go anywhere close. I don't mind setting up every night but I DO mind not having access to my tiny kitchen and tinier bathroom while on the road. I like to wash my hands before making a sandwich...I like being able to rinse off a kid that got car sick and then sending her inside the camper to change...I like keeping the bug repellent and sunscreen in the camper and not having to carry an extra set in the car for use before we get there...I like being able to stop for emergency bathroom breaks for kids...

A popup is like checking your luggage--you can't USE that stuff until you get there!

I currently have a popup slide-in truck camper and yeah, it's small, but it's almost entirely usable without popping it up (especially if you're short), and popping it up at the side of the road only takes a minute anyway.

Tracy D. likes this.
  16. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Best Thing: Light, easy to tow, small footprint, easy to store, light.

Worst Thing: setting up and tearing down in bad weather and having to open it back up to dry it when that happens.

17. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Our P'up has both a bathroom and a water heater. :)

18. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Does it hold enough fresh water, black water, and gray water for a couple to shower daily and use the toilet 5 or more days without dumping or taking on water?

19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Best thing -

All the comforts of home in a neat little transformer box. Air conditioning, heat, king sized beds, fridge, freezer, convection oven, microwave, crock pot, full bathroom w/shower, hot water, full time storage for our camping equipment so it doesn't need loaded and unloaded.

Worst thing -

Setting up and breaking down during Florida summers.

20. campagain

campagain Active Member

Best: Giving my kids the opportunity to camp and take it forward.

Worst: getting stuck tearing down by myself while they leave for the playground!!

Redbird934 and MrsSquid like this.