Best and Worst Thing About Owning a PUP.

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by BikeNFish, Sep 7, 2017.

1. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I am over 300# & the DW is not light. We have an air mattress that is rated for 600#. We have gotten 4 it 5 years use out of these. When we were using regular ones We were lucky to get though a season. I hope this helps you get some sleep.

MillerMomma likes this.
  2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Ok The Pros are The setup is quicker than any large tent I ever used. When towing with the F350 it doesn't change my MPG. More comfort & space than tent. The cost of ownership verses a TT. The Fact that I can rebuild or replace any & every part it at Home!

The Most important Pro is the DW loves it.

The Cons are Watching it sit unused for 4-5 months.

PS. The tear down sucks for anything! I have a hard time leaving a Motel, Tent, Camper, or Cabin.

COOPERCREW likes this.
  3. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

We put a blow up mattress on our bunk

MillerMomma likes this.
  4. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Best Thing

* It’s paid for
    * California registration goes by size/weight
    * My whole family of 6 could sleep in it, when the youngest was quite small
    * Super east to tow
    * low profile and low maintenance
    * tent like experience (it’s not camping without the smell of campfire infused canvas)
    * 360 degrees of windows

Worst Thing
    • Not having access to camper while on the road or when Roof is down (One time I left my car keys inside)
    * not being able to fill fridge before trip unless I lift the whole roof and pull out one bed in order to flip galley (why don’t they have the fridge open to the outside???)
    * having to unhitch from car when only camping for one night

I actually enjoy the popping up ritual and the only reason I don’t like popping down is that I hate to leave the campground to go home!

5. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

A lot of us have added the interlocking foam floor mats under the mattresses in our pups. I put some in mine last fall, but hadn’t slept on that bunk yet. It gives another layer of dense foam under the normal mattress.

MillerMomma likes this.
  6. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Gardenbliss, I never left my keys in our pup, but I have left them on the roof & cranked it up....twice...lol

myride likes this.
  7. Cheesehead RV

Cheesehead RV Member

I never left my keys on the roof when we had a pop-up, but did leave a level on the roof several times. It loved camping on the roof.

8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

You can always replace the mattress with up-to-date foam mattress that has cooling effect. I am working on this.

MillerMomma likes this.
  9. myride

myride Well-Known Member

LOL....me too!

10. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Active Member

I would say the best thing is the ease to tow, and the 'airiness' that ensues once its set up and you have all the windows and curtains open. It's really like you're letting the outside-in, and is my favorite part of a PUP.

The worst thing is the lack of privacy, and the noise in a crowded campground. You can easily hear your neighbours through the thin fabric of the PUP, and if you are in an open site, you have to make sure to close all the curtains before getting changed.

11. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

My Latest.

Worst: Spring maintenance.

Best: I own a pup! Woo-hoooo!

HappyTraveler and jnc like this.
  12. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Worst: It's April, I want to go camping. It's snowing.
    Second Worst: It's May, it stopped snowing but now it's raining!
    Best: Reservations set for next weekend!

myride, Fbird and jnc like this.
  13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

the worst is that it is not really a good idea to use popup in snowy winter time. Damages will occur to the vinyl and plastic/rubber.

14. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Guys and gals, don't get much more newbie than me so my list is short and have yet to find a negative aspect to it yet. Most complain about setup and tear down as I'll try to rewire my brain and see this as joy joy. [Guitar]Otherwise it's the formative time for me discovering this marvelous new way of camping, learning all the systems (electrical, heating, AC, plumbing, lift system etc. I think my new to me 04 Starcraft has good bones (no rot/overall good condition). Ought to be a fun journey.

15. BikeNFish

I'm reviving my old post because I realized this weekend that one of the best things about owning my pup is that it has so many uses!

I wasn't able to get the pup out this weekend for camping, but it sure came in handy when my wife invited our second oldest and three of our grand kids to the house on Sunday so they could take advantage of Labor Day back to school sales on Monday. They live about an hour away so instead of driving up and back on the same day, we set up the pup so they could "camp" in the yard Sunday night.

The best part was, just after our daughter told the grand kids (ages 13, 11 & 8) the obligatory after dark, scary camping ghost story (a family tradition), I got to sneak out to the pup to make loud, scary groaning monster noises as I banged on the canvas. After the kids screaming subsided, we all had a good laugh!

Ah, the memories we make! ;)

HappyTraveler, bluelily, jnc and 4 others like this.
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

My FnR isn't a standard pup and I also have a 1975 21ft motorhome so my pros and cons are slightly different:

FnR=
    Pros: easily towed by the Durango; fits in driveway (with the clipper and Durango); two dedicated full-size beds that can always be made - dogs are out of the way on the bottom bunk when I am inside and have two windows to look out; toilet; no canvas; can drop and drive Durango anywhere.
    Cons: can't use toilet while on the road; must raise roof to access inside; water capacity is less than the clipper's (4 day max); water pump takes longer to push hot water to faucets than the clipper; bathroom just has curtain door so must be careful that dog doesn't push it open as it will give everyone a show due to bathroom's placement next to door; very little storage space.

Clipper =
    Pros: have access to everything while on the road; can use toilet when stopped in construction or by pulling over to side of road; absolutely no setup required; dedicated bed always made; solid door to bathroom that blocks view from outside even if not fully closed; can go 10 days without needing to add fresh water or dump black and grey tanks; tons of storage space (which I didn't realize until I got the FnR).
    Cons: 43 year old engine and chassis - runs great but does create for concern on a major road trips.

My other big thing is that with the clipper, I can see out my windows while sitting at the couch or dinette, and if I leave the door open, it only looks onto the bathroom door - can't see me on the couch or in bed. With the FnR, the windows are too high to gaze out of while sitting, so you can only see out the door. If you open the door, everyone can see everything in the camper at a glance.

BikeNFish likes this.
  17. Jane Favret

Jane Favret Member

Mice .... My biggest concern and haven't even picked up our PUP from dealer yet! Your post had me literally laughing out loud!!! Glad to be in good company!

BikeNFish likes this.
  18. BikeNFish

We are not alone!

I've been using a couple of small bowls of cotton balls laced with peppermint extract place strategically in the pup as a deterrent. So far, so good.

Jane Favret likes this.
  19. Jane Favret

Jane Favret Member

As you can imagine, I've done a ton of research how to deter mice and have found several products. Considering my level of paranoia, I'll probably get/use them all!

-mouse free repellent
    -steelwool around plumbing
    -Fresh Cab
    -Irish Spring soap
    -Tin Cat
    -mouse bait around PUP
    -mouse traps around PUP

DH thinks I'm over reacting, but at least I'll be able to sleep at night knowing I've tried my best!

jnc likes this.
  20. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

FB8F506A-598C-49E9-862D-EA0E9B3E939F.jpeg Best thing. I can take it here.
    Worst thing. I can’t go every weekend

jnc likes this.