Best Antenna/way to watch TV

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Kacie, May 1, 2018.

1. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

I got this one this year for a present from the DW so she could have tv in the camper so she can go to sleep also. Made a clamp on mount from pvc and some fittings so I can attach it to camper roof and remove it for travel (I will not drill holes in roof). It worked well at home in the camper when me and the DD did a night of backyard camping. I have yet to try it during a camping trip though, will find out how well it works at the end of the month when we get to go camping. Good luck on your search.
    https://www.amazon.com/Elecwave-Ant...9&sr=8-29&keywords=omnidirectional+hd+antenna

Attached Files:

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Any tv antenna will work. I have one from the local thrift store that I got for 2 dollars. It works great.

Remember there is no such thing as an "HD" antenna. It's just hype to mark up the price.

3. jeicher

jeicher Member

Any antenna will work providing you are close enough to the TV station. If you have obstructions such as hills, trees, etc. you may need an antenna with a higher gain rating. I would not purchase one myself unless it had a signal gain of at least 32 db. I had a Winegard Batwing but replaced it with a King Jack antenna. The Jack antenna pulled in some stations I had trouble receiving with the Batwing plus the Jack is a more compact design. It comes with its own signal amplifier but the built-in one for the Batwing worked just as well. (https://www.amazon.com/KING-OA8300-...5159&sr=8-1&keywords=king+jack+antenna+for+rv)

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I'm not saying all antennas are created equal, just that all antennas are HD whether or not they are marked as such. They always have been....

5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Not really, that is like saying all antennas are the same.

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

No. How the antenna is designed will change its performance. But even a coat hanger is capable of receiving HD signals if the signal is strong enough.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you on this. All I'm saying is that labeling an antenna HD is just a marketing ploy. If you had a great antenna before the switch from analog to digital TV, you still have a great antenna.

7. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Nice post. I'm not big on television while camping either, but then I've also been completely washed out on vacation. Literally 10 days of rain with a 2 hour window to pack up and leave. lol (Guess I got lucky.) So now I do have an old portable with me. Choosing the right antenna and mast height for the area is key.
    I have frequented Indiana Dunes for convenience camping and a quick weekend. At that park I can literally look across the lake and see the Chicago skyline. A cheapy set top antenna on top of the pup can get you enough signal to enjoy quite a bit. At home, an hour out of Chicago, we have around a 15' rise on the mast using a common 60 mile Clearstream 2V-J3 - Walmart outdoor antenna to pick up most stations on a clear day.
    Hardly seems worth the effort when you're more than an hour out of town.
    A shame, in the analog days you could pack a portable television and pull a signal in from great distances with it's built in antenna. It's almost laughable how difficult it is now in comparison.
    9828aa6e-af2b-45c7-ac59-033f371758ed_1.ab3eab6afef64fe6e83839ce942eaa4c.jpeg

8. angdef

angdef New Member

We, too, have been washed out (it ALWAYS rains when we camp) and will be frequenting the Dunes this summer and are interested in an antenna. Thanks for this info!

9. Fischymom

Fischymom Active Member

I have Dish Now but have wondered about an antenna, TY for the info!

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

We haven't had cable for several years, and we don't miss it one bit. I do however lug a TV along sometimes, but that is more for watching movies together, or playing games on the playstation. I thought about getting a cheap antenna, but we don't even have one at the house so it seemed kinda worthless for me. Roy has one of the cooler antenna setups I have seen though.

11. Whiteycracker

Whiteycracker Active Member

Exactly how did you do this?? I like it and may copy you..lol Looks GREAT!! Cannot do much of reverse engineering on my part from the image.

12. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Bottom section is 1 1/4 inch PVC with elbow and thumb screw, slot cut in the inside corner of elbow (this is where the roof lip fits in). Top part is 1 inch PVC with Tee and elbow, slides into the 1 1/4 PVC and tighten thumb screw when you place it on side of roof. The antenna is mounted on 1 inch PVC and goes in the top of the tee not glued so antenna can be rotated. Hope this explains.

Attached Files:

13. Tyler dillon

Tyler dillon New Member

Antenna.org
    If you put in the local zip code it will tell you the best spot to point a directional at for the most stations

14. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Antennaweb.org

Great resource by the way