Best app for directions?

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Fern Dweller, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Fern Dweller

Fern Dweller New Member

I usually just plug my destination into Google maps and go whatever way it takes me. However, on our last trip I noticed that the general orientation of the interstate really took us in a roundabout way to get there. Without our Pop-up this is fine as I can be a bit lead footed on the interstate, but I am pretty cautious when it comes to speed with the pup in tow and tend to camp out at 65 even in a 75 zone. We added about half an hour to Google's estimate and when I played more with the route on google maps I noticed I could have saved 5 minutes using more back roads (seems like it would have been win/win: time and scenic route). I realize that I could have played ahead of time and adding 5 minutes for a more scenic route probably would have been my choice.
    My question is, does anyone know a way to plug in your max speed into google maps or have an app they really like for directions that will take into consideration their max speed? Thanks!

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, i havent found one. I usally check the route in preparation for the trip, and say ill go this way around that. But then because im so used to the driving ap, i forget and follow it any way. This can be avoided if you have 2 adults , one with paper maps or a printed route to navigate. Me , i just add some time on to the ap .

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I use google maps on my iPhone. When planning a trip, I’ll use google maps on my laptop and once my route is mapped, I copy the url and email it to my iPhone. Click on the url and it opens on the google maps app.

I know I could do it better ways but this works for me.

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I run Waze and Google maps simultaneously in my truck. I can toggle back and forth on the touch screen to compare.

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Same here. Waze usually does a better job with hazards on the route - construction, traffic, cops, etc. However, I have noticed over the last year that the routing algorithm has gotten wonky - I'll find myself getting sent through neighborhoods and back alleys sometimes.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one getting oddball directions from Waze...lol.

I also enjoy the alerts Waze gives.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I'm running a 9 year old not updated Garmin GPS .. Now I do pre scout the routes to unfamiliar places with street view on the desktop and will even print a hard copy of the maps and directions.. I have found myself a few times out of cell service areas, so I don't rely on an app..

jmkay1 and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

Does this count? Seriously, for trip planning, I pull this out with google maps alongside. Since Google maps and my GPS assume that I’m driving the speed limit, I estimate actual times based on 60 mph for interstate routes and compare to alternatives.
    https://store.randmcnally.com/2022-large-scale-road-atlas.html

kitphantom and kcsa75 like this.
  9. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Waze is owned by Google, and they share mapping data. Just a different presentation, with some different features in Waze.

10. davido

davido Well-Known Member

I use Google Maps on my phone, but before a trip somewhere I haven't been in awhile, I'll also print a copy.

The bigger issue for me is going places where there isn't a cell signal. So then I'm stuck with whatever Google loaded in before I passed out of range. This does happen when I'm around larger BLM areas, or in National Parks, or other remote areas.

I have an Etrex 32x that I use for hiking, so in a pinch I can use it for routing.

Additionally, any area I'm visiting, I pre-purchase online a NatGeo Topo for that region. That's useful on and off road. Good old fashioned maps are great for getting a higher level overview.

kitphantom likes this.
  11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

We use Google Maps and an old Garmin NUVI 2595LMT. The latter is handy when Google Maps is not considered trustworthy. The NUVI does not need cell reception. We also use a Road and Recreation atlas, and AAA paper maps.

We have not found a way to set a master speed limit (in any app) for trip routing when towing. Maybe a trucking-specific app would work better.

12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I use Google maps to do pre-planning. But use a Garmin Smartdrive 65 GPS unit with Live Traffic feature. I recently found out that my newer Garmin unit will reroute me depending on the traffic conditions it receives. That totally screwed us up!! We did not understand what the hell it was doing or why. At least until I read into what the traffic/reroute feature does. But we always travel with a road atlas as sometimes we will find a better route that way. The Garmin will eventually figure out what we are trying to do. [:D]