Best CG on the Florida Coast

Discussion in 'Florida' started by thegeorgefamily06, Jan 28, 2014.

1. thegeorgefamily06

thegeorgefamily06 Member

Ok, I have started ready the post about Long Key SP and it has me hooked on camping right on the beach. I am wondering, is Long Key the best CG on the beach in Florida, or is there a better one? I am looking for one where we are right on the beach and can do sunbathing, swimming and camp fires right from our site.

We have not lived in Florida very long and I am really looking for the gem that my wife and I can enjoy as a get away together.

Thanks for the suggestions and I look forward to hearing what you all have to say!

2. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Mexico Beach is our favorite spot on the gulf. Small town that is very laid back and affordable.

3. MiamiCamper

MiamiCamper New Member

Curry Hammock SP is nice too! The keys have several!

4. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

No electric or water at the site but Little Talbot Island is AWESOME!!! Also Huguenot Memorial Park (Jacksonville city park) has water nearby and no electric but it is incredible with it's views, white beaches and superb fishing off the breakwater. Fires are permitted and there's a view of Mayport Naval Station on the one side. During the week and after about 3 the sun worshippers head home and you have the beach to yourself or maybe a select few others.

Anastasia SP is also very pretty and worth checking out since you're in the area. They also have miles of trails to follow and plenty to see in St. Augustine a few miles away.

JMO

5. nachomama

nachomama Member

I stayed at Long Key this January. Be warned, they have a major rat infestation going on. We saw them and heard them in our campsite all night. They chewed up a bike seat. We talked to the ranger and they are waiting for enough complaints so they can get the money for an exterminator. Otherwise, waking up 5 feet from the water and watching the sunset was great. The beach can be 5 feet wide to zero based on the tide and I didn't find any decent snorkeling off the beach. I've stayed at Bahia Honda several times and prefer it. It has more to do, great sunsets, and less road noise but not as nice sites and bathroom facilities.

6. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

We love camping at Fort desoto. You can get most spots on the water if your book 4-6 months in advance. You cant swim behind your camper but you can fish all day and night from behind your camper. And the Fort and nice beaches and Canoe rental is just around the corner. You do have raccoon's but if you keep food and trash put away, You wont have any problems. Its around $40 a night which is kind of high but not if you love the beach as much as we do. And they do not offer discounts for Disabled or Military. We always stay a week, and are booked for a week in June this year.

This is the only beach we have camped at so far. As its not far from us. We hope to travel more and check out some in northern Florida soon.

Sharon

7. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I don't Camp where I work cause it's too expensive for me and I don't get a discount and they make us pay them to work there,lol But check out Red Coconut RV Park. We are right on the Gulf, 450' of white sugar sand. There are 14 Beachfront sites, row 1, and 3 more rows behind but still Beachside. We have another 5 acres across the street that we call Parkside. Hard to get 1st row because they can reserve same site for next year, and do! But May and September are nice and of course in Summer there are sites sometimes. Check it out. [8D]

8. jdy2

jdy2 Member

I second Fort De Soto, it's our favorite right now. By not going on weekends (we go when the kids have a day or two off of school) we're easily able to be waterfront. Here's a blog post from our most recent visit a few weeks ago - http://www.becauseimme.net/2014/02/presidents-day.html

9. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Jody,

Love your blog. We also do Ft. Desoto on the week days, But hubby has to take vacation days to do it. We will be there June 15-19. And I cant wait.

Sharon

10. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I'll second the Red Coconut at Ft Myers. I camped there about 14 years in a row throughout college and the early years of marriage. If you have never been to Ft Myers beach, the beach is wide and the sand is as fine as powdered sugar. The sand itself is even nicer than Siesta Key.

But be careful when you go. "Back in the day", we really didn't have heavy traffic all the way down where the Red Coconut is. We just stayed away from the "Times Square" portion down by the bridge. But we drove through a few years ago....traffic was so congested that it was at a full stop by the Red Coconut! I could not deal with that much traffic!

There also wasn't as many restaurants, etc. down by the Red Coconut as there is now. It's not quite as secluded as it once was, but the beach itself is just as nice. But the beach is definitely much more crowded now.

I can tell you from experience that camping in a tent on the "beach side" of the Red Coconut during a storm is an experience you will never forget!

11. saltybeachjunkie

saltybeachjunkie New Member

Not sure what part of Florida you are searching, (thegeorgefamily06) but there is a SP called Flagler beach State Park I believe that is right next to the ocean. I enjoy going onto floridastateparks.org Wealth of information, including hook-ups or not. Also, your local SP will have a Florida State Park Guide that has all of the SP's in Florida broken down into regions. Very handy as well.
    I was just at Little Talbot for a visit, did not camp, and the sites I seen had water hook ups but paid no attention if there were electric, the .org site will help with this. This parks campground is a drive from the ocean, but the intercoastal is right next to the campground and some have great views of the water.
    Good luck and welcome

12. thegeorgefamily06

thegeorgefamily06 Member

Thanks for the info. I will have to check out Flagler SP. We already really like Flagler beach, so that would be ideal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. cgpotts

cgpotts New Member

Keep talking about the rats at Long Key. The more you bring it up the more sites will be available for us. We have been to long Key 40 or so times over the past 7 years and on one occasion we saw 3 rats.

There is nothing like Long Key SP.

14. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I agree!