Best cooking methods suggestions.

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by RockinD, Aug 31, 2016.

1. RockinD

RockinD Member

I am looking for a propane cooking stove/grill combo kind of thing for cooking.

My brother has the Camper Chef Explorer with bag, plus the Camper Chef Griddle with bag, plus the Camper Chef Grill with bag. It all cost a bundle and it doesn't cook very evenly. But it is a nice set up. I like the different parts I can use with it and the bags to keep everything in.

I am new to camping high impact. So I'm curious what works best for people. I do have a gas stove in the camper. But what other methods work well. Would I be better off just using an electric skillet or electric griddle to do my cooking? I'm not sure my PUP could handle the amps. I would have to test it. I just saw an infomercial on these induction burners that only get hot with metal. Those look kind of cool. Anyone ever tried one of those? I've also looked at those folding camping/tailgating propane grills.

So what have you tried, what has worked and what would you recommend?

2. chuckearnhardt

chuckearnhardt Member

We use a couple different thing. First is a Coleman Eventemp Propane Stove, on which I use a cast iron skillet or griddle. We also do a lot of cast iron Dutch Oven cooking over the fire, using the coal counting method for temperature control. We find these two types of cooking covers most of what we need.

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I use the outdoor stove that came with the camper for much of my cooking. I also carry a mini weber grill and a cast iron dutch oven to add flexibility. I use an electric skillet when I'm staying long term in a hotel, but I've never used it camping. It works great for cooking most things, but they can be a pain to clean up in a hotel bathroom sink!

During my two camping trips this year, I did notice my neighbors using an electric griddle a few times. They often ran separate extension cords to the power post to run them, so I suspect they can overload a camper pretty quickly. I believe most sites that offer electricity have a spare outlet on the pole if you'd like to go that route.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

What works for me, may not be what you like. I cook with my my cast iron pan either over the fire or on my outdoor propane stove that came with my trailer. I rarely cook inside and only very limited things. I also cook in my Dutch Oven. I have made some delicious thing in the DO but it sure could take time. When on electric I have also made things in my crockpot. I did use this on a separate circuit in the trailer so as not to trip the breaker. If I want something grilled I use the fire. I had a propane grill I took camping once, but it was a pain in the you know what to clean.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Most if not all the camp cooking we do uses the following:
    Lodge Dutch oven
    Coleman 2 burner stove
    Lodge griddle (fits across both burners)
    Lodge 12" cast iron frying pan
    Cooking grate to BBQ over wood

6. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

We use a vintage Coleman stove with the propane adapter and the Coleman Grillin Griddle for almost everything. I have a T and hoses to run both of these off a large propane tank and I always carry a few of the 1 lb propane bottles for backup.

7. RockinD

RockinD Member

I have all sorts of cast iron. I guess I should determine the best heating methods for what I plan to cook with.

8. dion

dion Member

Electric cooking is clean, cheap, and simple, but only when you have good electrical service available. If you always camp with electrical service, it might work OK.

We frequently camp without hookups, and we really value that flexibility to camp in National Parks, National Forests, or wherever we want. So we need a way to cook without electricity. For us, a Coleman white gas stove fits the bill very well, because it works well at all temperatures and altitudes, it's compact and reliable, and the fuel doesn't require much space. Others like propane, and if you had a propane furnace, it would probably pay to simplify and do cooking and heating with the same fuel.

We also like to keep things simple, so once we got the Coleman 2-burner white gas stove, we didn't need anything else. If we can't cook it on our stovetop, we don't cook it when camping.

But what works for us may not be right for you...

9. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

10. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

Thermos table top grill for grilling also a flat griddle for bacons, eggs, pancakes etc. on the grill. Lodge cast iron dutch oven over charcoal and one set of nesting kettles for misc. cooked items. We also carry a butane single burner along but rarely use it. Yes we do use the two burner stove in Popup on bad weather days.

11. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I bought a Coleman two burner stove that includes the griddle. Used it for the time time on our last trip since we like to cook outside and it had even heat on the griddle. It was great for eggs and bacon as well as pancakes.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

It depends on your camping and cooking styles. You can start simple and see what works for you. We seldom have power, so don't depend on small appliances for general use. Our TT arrived with a microwave installed, we use it for some things when we have power & dry storage when without power.
    We still have white gas Coleman camp stoves, we take one on most trips to cook outside. We do cook inside, depends on weather, length of stop (overnight stops we seldom cook outside). We are not campfire or (usually) charcoal grill cooks. We've never had enough space to tote much of any size, so all the Camp Chef, etc. combinations haven't gotten any serious consideration.
    We enjoy cooking in cast iron at home, not while camping, We have a great set of Magma non-stick stainless, stacking, cookware, after a 20 years or so of using cast-offs and backpacking cookware.
    We have experimented with appliances over the years, when we've had power - electric fry pan and toaster oven made one trip each. We are meeting friends for Thanksgiving, and both sites will have power, so the microwave may get some use. I bought a electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) that may go as yet another experiment. The toaster oven may get another try too, haven't decided yet.

13. RockinD

RockinD Member

Thanks guys.

14. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

I use a coleman white gas stove for quick morning coffee and breakfast, the campfire(as a grill, or as a stove with CI cookware) when I have a bit of time, and a portable Weber propane grill when I want to grill something quickly. I also have a cast iron DO that I like to use but it does take a lot of time to cook. For the stove and grill, I have a small portable table to put them on that makes food prep much simpler.

15. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

It depends on how often you camp at sites with electricity and without. I usually camp with full hookups (yes Im spoiled). This weekend I'm dry camping so all the electric appliance will not be used.

With electricity, I use electric griddle for breakfast (seems to be for breakfast only), electric kurieg kettle, (both cannot be on at the same time so i use coffee first because its quick and then I use griddle). I NEVER cook inside. I always cook outside using exterior stove hooked up to propane.

I have griddle for dry camping which is helpful. I also have grille for the pitfire for steaks n burgers. The grille last for about 2-3 years after lots of usage and weight from cast iron pans sometimes bend the grille. I will be using the campfire for cooking for the weekend.

16. RockinD

RockinD Member

Has anyone considered those induction cookers? I saw a Nuwave PIC infomercial last night and those look like they may work for some applications. I mean don't get me wrong. NOTHING beats a Coleman stove. Just trying to think outside the box on this a little.

17. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I enjoy cooking while camping. I have the following that I take:

Coleman Road Trip grill modded to run off the camper low pressure LPG port. With this grill I also have the stove, griddle and grill plates so I can reconfigure as needed.

Coleman 2-burner white gas stove used to supplement the Road Trip when I need a stove while also using the griddle or grill plates.

Microwave - we use this to reheat leftovers if we have them.

Convection oven - about as big as the dorm sized microwave I have. Super handy for cinnamon rolls in the morning. Our favorite treat on the last day of camp.

Coleman Eventemp 3-burner propane stove. I really like this one, but it is a PITA to adjust the burner output, and it will only run on high pressure. I do have the matching griddle though that works excellent. However the last two campouts I didn't use it - it tends to get pulled into use when larger groups are involved.

When needed I have a larger 2 burner Coleman white gas stove, and my dreadnaught - 1970s vintage 3 burner white gas Coleman stove that gets pulled out when large groups are involved (scouts primarily).

I also have a Weber Q 1200, but it does not collapse as well as the road trip so it does not always find a spot to come with.

When lots of grilling is involved I'll pull out some old propane box grills - Weber and Char Broil. Worked great when I made ka bobs and burgers for our troop and I had them cooking on 3 different grills at once, plus beans and corn on the cob.

Sometimes I'll toss a single burner Coleman white gas stove in if I think I will just need an extra burner on top of the grill/griddles on the road trip.

I also have a 12" dutch oven that I use from time to time, but not so much when it is just my son and I.

We do not have a stove inside anymore, and I don't use the stove that came with the camper, instead using the hose on the road trip.

Hope this helps in some fashion.

4BeachBums+ likes this.
  18. RockinD

RockinD Member

OOooooo I like that roadtrip grill. That's nice.

19. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

Vintage Coleman 3 burner white gas stove, 10 inch Lodge cast iron frying pan for frying everything but eggs, 4 various sized aluminum pots with lids for boiling/steaming/cooking with water, 8 inch Tramontina non stick frying pan for eggs or other sticky food. We always plan on one or two meals on the Weber smokey joe. Oh the last trip I took the rice cooker, that was a luxury for one dinner. That rice cooker has become a fixture in the kitchen at home and will probably be a fixture in the camping setup. I'm only cooking for two, so we don't need a bigger kit. $20 12 cup Mr coffee because its just super easy to get coffee going first thing in the morning. This is basically the same kit, sans the rice cooker and coffee maker, that I've used for years car/tent camping with my sons.

20. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

i took out the 2 burner propane stove that came w camper-it needs work. replaced it with a single burner BUTANE stove for inside. great for coffee, single pot cooking.
    (pro chefs use them on cooking shows)

1 can butane lasts 2-4 meals. ( just me)

still using 2 burner coleman camp stove that i hook to big tank via adapter hose & pole.
    when taking group, we use these 2 and grill over open fire.

be versatile to cover all situations

2003 Skamper + 1996 Toyota T100
    life time camper, Girl Scout, DIY gal.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk