Best deals on Solar?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Stamourowl, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Stamourowl

Stamourowl If it involves dogs and hiking count me in.

I dry camp about 3 to 4 times per year for 2 to 4 days max. I have a small pup with minimal energy usage. Usually I run LED ceiling lights a few hours, charge a phone and if hubby comes along his MacBook Pro. I would like to get a small solar panel unit. I was thinking 40 to 50 watts. Fellow dry campers in town thought I could get by with smaller units, but I do not know. They recommended a portable unit, with a stand to angle towards the sun rather than mounting to the roof. We have sun about 295 days per year. They recommended a small unit from harbor Freight, but I am not seeing much there right now. What would you suggest? Any good deals around? Thanks!

Oh I have a heater, but only run it when the temp drops below 20. I would not expect the solar pane to keep up with that type of usage.

2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Amazon. Wouldn’t go smaller than 50 W

3. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

I find there isn’t a huge cost or size difference between a 20w and a 100w system. I’d go renogy suitcase style with the built in charge controller. It’s pretty much idiot proof and well made

I went for 200w, which was more expensive, but I tend to favour having and not needing.

Stamourowl and Blackripley like this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I had a limited budget but found a 100watt solar panel that came with the charge controller for just a tad over $130 on Amazon. The panal is the type you can attach to something, but I figured I would just keep it separate and make a frame to prop it up so I can move it around to where the sun is. I camp in the shade often so wanted to be able to chase the sun if needed. I'm keeping the box it came with to protect the panel in travel. I figure one day I could always buy a better charge controller later but for now it works fine.

Stamourowl likes this.
  5. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

50 watts would probably be enough for your stated needs, if you have at least 4 hours of full sun on the panel. But as Eric said, the price difference between 50 and 100 watts isn't that much. If you typically camp in the shade you should probably go with a portable setup so you can move it around.

Amazon has a large selection to choose from and a judicious reading of the reviews can help you decide. And there's some good posts in the
    Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar
    section you can review.

Stamourowl likes this.
  6. Garrity

Garrity Member

We bought a Renogy system. Will be installing ours soon and can't wait. It will be nice not having to worry so much about battery consumption and it getting to a lower voltage, thus damaging and reducing the life of it.

Stamourowl and Eric Webber like this.
  7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I have 2 Host panels (200 watts) mounted suit case style that I can move to catch the sun and am using a 30 amp Rich solar MPPT controller mounted in a Dewalt drill case. I can recharge a dead battery quick

Stamourowl likes this.
  8. Stamourowl

Stamourowl If it involves dogs and hiking count me in.

Thank you all!