Best hybrid models under 19' and newer than 2012?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Rockwood_Freedom, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Rockwood_Freedom

Rockwood_Freedom New Member

We are looking to upgrade to a hybrid trailer from our current Rockwood Freedom pop-up.

So far, I've come across these 4 models that would fit our criteria:

17 ft - 19 ft box length, pop-outs on each end (NO slides or bunks), must have small side sofa + dinette and 2012 or newer. Our max budget is $15k.

• Coachmen Apex 151RBX
    • Jayco X17Z
    • FOREST RIVER ROCKWOOD ROO
    • Dutchmen Kodiak Express Ultra-Lite
    Are there any other models that we should be looking for on the used market? (Seattle area).

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

My in-laws have a Rockwood Roo and love it.

Rockwood_Freedom likes this.
  3. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

The first 3 are good choices but I would avoid any Dutchmen hybrid.

4. rsdata

rsdata Active Member

I have a 2014 Forest River Shamrock which is the sister model to the ROO... a model 19 is two bunk... I have the 3 bunk model the 183... I like that it has no slides... is under 5,000# packed and there is little to break. The 3 bunk model has a sofa seating/bed area, which is the the convertible dinette area. The wife and I never sit inside, preferring to sit under the electric awning outside.

Hybrids can have delamination of the fiberglass due to water intrusion around and near the hinge of the bunk. It is easy to see in the correct daylight as the fiberglass will seem bulged outward below the bunk area with the bunk closed... also the actual bunk door may also have this issue. The outside upper running lights have been known to leak and allow water to bulge the rear fiberglass area.

In 2014 the ROO-Shamrock line went from the high-overhead bunk door horizontal lock and bungy corded tent design to the current lower lock handle and permanently attached tent design. The newer design is much better than the pre-2014 design. Most of the bunk doors will leak a little... a cup or two of water might get past the rubber seal in a drenching rain, but a zipped up tent will hold that water ON the vinyl TENT and not allow it to seep thru into the bunk door area.

As with any trailer, water intrusion anywhere can be an issue. Look carefully at used units for any water marks on the ceiling or soft spots on the floor. bring an 8 foot step ladder and inspect the roof for lost or loose caulking at the roof edge, front, back and both sides. ANy problem with the caulk and that might signal water intrusion thru the roof.

FYI... new my SHamrock in May of 2014 was a little over $15K with tax and title included. Of course it was bought in IN where they make them...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  5. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

There is also the Palomino Solaire. They have a small and medium size of that floorplan, both within your size limit.

6. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

It's a 16' box, but we bought a 2018 Viking by Forest River M-16 RDB this weekend. The actual camper we bought. It checked almost every box for this family of four with an occasional guest or two. It's a tad bit smaller than we were shopping for, but still more room inside than the PUP. Can hardly wait to get this thing out. Really liked the Starcraft AR-One 18FB also. It's like a TT with a queen bed in the front, a single hybrid bunk on the back for guest, rear booth type dinette, and no sofa.
    Also looked at a Weekender 191 that had pretty much everything you are looking for in a 19' box. I liked the layout, but that poor camper lived a hard life and the price was too high.

Rockwood_Freedom and Ladiesman like this.
  7. Rockwood_Freedom

Can you elaborate why to avoid the Dutchmen hybrid? Is it the hybrid models specifically or are you saying avoid the Dutchmen brand all together?

8. Rockwood_Freedom

9. Rockwood_Freedom

Thank you, I've added the Palomino Solaire to my search alerts.

10. Rockwood_Freedom

Congrats! That Viking looks great and it's something we definitely would have pulled the trigger on too. While it's only 16 ft, it has pretty much everything we are wanting. We are a family of 3 + my daughter usually has a friend come along so a pop-out on each end has worked well for space.

Some of our favorite campgrounds have dense forest and very tight spaces. Anything over 19 ft and it really limits the options for us. A 2018 for only $10,500 would be a steal in my Seattle market.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  11. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

Dutchman used to make twin brand hybrids, Kodiak and Aerolite Cub. I think they dropped the Cub line.
    Dutchman has a poor track record with their hybrids, even though they were innovators in the Hybrid world, 15 years ago. They have a bad customer support reputation.

12. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Well-Known Member

Buddy bought a Rockwood Roo and it is a nice unit. When I look at a camper of any kind One of the first things I look at is the cabinets. Are they solid wood how are the joints held together. I look at the beds how thick is the wood. Lift up the dinette seats and see how they are built and how they have the slats for the table top secured and to what are they screwed since you will be using it sometimes as a bed. You can get a good idea of how its built by looking at things like this. Remember you have kids and they are going to get older and heavier how will it hold up through the years.

13. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Would have paid that if they had stayed firm, but DW offered $9500 and they accepted. We've been looking since October, insane prices for junk everywhere and if it was actually a decent camper at a decent price it sold pretty much as soon as it hit the market. Don't settle for junk, the right unit will popup.

14. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

which is why we drove to Chicago and back to get our new Roo, back in 2006. saved over 35% over West Coast prices, even after trip costs.

15. nickap

nickap Member

I just got a used 2013 Coachmen Apex 151RBX, and I'm very impressed - feels quite similar in construction quality to the Jayco X17Z I also looked at, and (I just learned) is built with Azdel which is lighter and more durable than wood. Main thing is, it's about 300lb lighter than the Jayco, even though it is basically the same size with the same features - so that gives you significantly more cargo carrying capacity. I've yet to go on a camping trip with our new one, but so far I'm extremely happy with it. They made them through 2016, I think, so you have to buy used, but there should be some good deals around. Here are pix of mine if you're interested: https://www.popupportal.com/threads/recommendations-for-a-small-hybrid.132979/page-3#post-1387128

16. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Well-Known Member

I am going to guess House of Camping is where you bought it. They have been a Rockwood dealer forever.

17. Rockwood_Freedom

Yep, I have the Coachmen Apex on my short list. Unfortunately, there are none within 500 miles of me. There just aren't that many used hybrids for sale with my criteria in my area of the PNW. There is one 2015 Rockwood Roo 17 in the state but it doesn't have the side sofa and they are asking $15k.

18. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

Yep! HOC and they were great.

Ladiesman likes this.
  19. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Keep an eye out for a Roo/Shamrock 19. Rockwood/Flagstaff makes a great coach and this one sounds like it checks all your boxes. It’s a strong contender for our next rig if we decide to go smaller again

Rockwood_Freedom and Old_Geezer like this.
  20. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Just a recommendation, if at all possible look for something in that size in a 2 axle trailer. You'll be happier overall, for several reasons. When I first bought my little popup in 2009 like everybody else I started planning for and looking at my next camper. For about 5 years it was going to be the Jayco X17Z, the more I learned about that model and travel trailers in general, the more I moved away from the X17Z. Yes, it's lightweight but also doesn't hold much load capacity, for example it's probably not great for a family with 2 adults, 3 kids, and all their gear, etc. Also the dump pipe for your tanks is very low to the ground which means you need to be really carful with bumps etc. Also, generally speaking, single axle trailers don't have things like an over, or larger refrigerator. They tend to have a wet bath rather then a bathroom. When I finally did upgrade to a travel trailer 10 years later, I had moved away from hybrids altogether, but that was more a personal preference for a regular bed. Mind you being empty nesters we only need to sleep 2. I ended up buying a Grand Design 17MKE, still in the same overall length range but a much sturdier trailer offering much more comforts. Basically what I'm saying is try to get as muck camper as you can within your budget.