Best hybrid models under 19' and newer than 2012?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Rockwood_Freedom, Jan 24, 2021.

1. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Generally true, but the 2nd axle often means it's considerably heaver. Make sure your TV is up to the task. Ultimately I chose a single axle is to avoid the binding when backing into tight sites with sharp angles in the mountains. The lighter weight was an added plus with the amount of time we spend in the mountains. Tandem axle trailers are often sturdier built and many also have a slide for added room. My brother kept telling me that I need a slide, but I really don't. If I'm in the camper other than to sleep the weather got bad. Go spend an hour or so in various campers that you are contemplating with your usual camping crew, at some point your going to spend some time sheltering from the weather.

2. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

It’s ok, don’t sound the panic alarm just yet, now she is looking at Momentum toy haulers. She really likes the 353g but I cut her off at the 320g. I am not going any bigger than we already are

neighbormike likes this.
  4. cyclop5

cyclop5 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Check out KZ, too. We've had our KZ 160RBT for a couple years now, and it's held up pretty well. 16 foot box, usual amenities, and under 3500#. Fresh water tank is a bit small (20 gallons), but not horribly so. They've also got an 18 foot with 3 popouts. We bought ours brand new for about $16k after taxes and fees. Used should be quite a bit less.

Rockwood_Freedom likes this.
  5. Rockwood_Freedom

Rockwood_Freedom New Member

Yes, I like those 160RBT configurations and layouts. I do see some brand new for sale for $16k but they are over 2,000+ miles away in the mid west and unfortunately no used ones anywhere near me at the moment. A 16ft box would be nice as I live in the city and street parking is very limited for me. I also want to stick to a single axle and avoid anything with a slide.

6. Enz0

Enz0 Member

One more to look at: Coachman Clipper 16RBD.
    Single axle, under 19ft, with a couch and dinette, no slides. I think that checks all your boxes.
    We upgraded from a popup to a 2015 Coachman Clipper earlier this year. Got it for under 10k.

7. Rockwood_Freedom

Rockwood_Freedom New Member

Ended up finding a 2014 Jayco Jay Feather X17A. Perfect floor plan for us, plenty of storage plus and actual tub/shower. It's been soooo nice for the girls to have a bathroom for the middle of night. No more disgusting public bathrooms and showers. No more frustrating set-up and breakdown times. No more popping the trailer to just dry it out when we get home. No more popping up the trailer to just get retrieve and item or put something away while it's parked. Can actually enter the trailer while we are stopped at a rest stop or wherever. Worth every penny.

Got it for $14k. Was listed in the evening and we arrived first thing in the morning when they opened. Multiple people showed up after us looking at it just as we were in the process of purchasing it. Dealership said they are swamped and not enough RV's. Demand is strong as ever in the PNW. We listed and sold our old Rockwood Freedom pop-up in 1 hr with cash in hand. Sold it for slightly higher than what we paid a year earlier. Could have asked much more $$ but wanted it gone that day. Had at least a dozen inquiries.

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2014-jay-feather-ultra-lite/x17a/

Attached Files:

nhcaveman and Canadarago like this.
  8. Canadarago

Canadarago New Member

Bought a 151RBX in 2018 (used) and are very happy with it. The small size comes in handy when a popular campground only has “pop up” sized sites available. Like the 30/30/30 fresh/grey/black tanks, decent size refrigerator, dual propane tanks and dry bath. Usually we sleep in the front bunk end and store put our duffle bags and suitcases in the back one.