Best Instant Canopy

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by BigAdm, Sep 6, 2016.

1. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

Hello!

I'm looking for a quality instant canopy that can hold up to rain and winds...that won't break the bank..

I'm looking for a canopy that is 12x12

If you could, please comment the canopy you had and the conditions its survived in & the length of time you've had it.

2. DiscoB75

DiscoB75 Guest

I bought the Ozark Trail canopy ten years ago and used it tent camping every year up until last, when I bought my pup.
    I used it in all weather, and as long as I had it staked, never had an issue with it.
    During rain, I'd put it over the tent or run a tarp from it over the tent.

It was reasonably priced, too.

I just sold it at my garage sale this summer as I don't need it with my awning on the pup.

3. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

The problem now of days, nothing is meant to last....But I'm sure if it was made 10 years ago, it'll still have 5 years of life. haha

thanks for the comment

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Had the original EZup for over 10 years. Now have a Coleman 10 x 10. They do make a 12 x 12. I like it, well made and very fast to put up. Easier with two people but can be done alone.

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

If weight isn't a factor, take a look at Caravan steel canopies made for outdoor vendors. I have a 10 x 10 I have had for about 17 years. It weathered t-storms, rain and sun without a problem. If you stake it down, it's rock solid.

It is HEAVY though. Tough, but heavy.

6. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

I was looking at the Coleman 12x12 but the majority of reviews on amazon said that its not meant for rain or wind and Coleman will not honor their warranty under those conditions...... The use of my canopy will be to house all my kitchen equipment so I'm leaning on the 12x12....Although was your 10x10 Coleman held up in heavy rain and high wind?

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000004411-Instant-Canopy/dp/B00339C3EG/ref=pd_sbs_468_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QDCK0BD19C4CRKXWQZDE

Keep the information coming!

Thanks

7. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

I think the Caravan steel canopies are going to be a little more than I'm willing to spend.

8. tombiasi

The EZ up would pool water. The Coleman did not. It has never been in heavy wind and rain. I don't think they spec it for that. If you want that maybe you have to realize you have to dig deeper in your pocket.

9. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

How long have you had your Coleman...and I understand that they can't hold up to heavy rains....should have worded that better...just hesitant to invest $186 in colemans 12x12 if it can't sustain atleast medium weather

Thanks!

10. tombiasi

This is my third season with the Coleman. It rained a few times. The wind was not a problem. You can stake it down and guys are included. I have never used the guys, The rain did not pool, it ran off. I paid 79.99 off season. for the 10 x 10.

11. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

Okay thanks for the information...as of now the 12x12 is $186 but couldn't have worse reviews so I was a little hesitant to say the least ,

Thanks again

12. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Bought a 10x10 Impact Canopy from Costco, very good quality and I have it currently set up at Alice Lake where we are camping right now. I just ordered the side panels for it at Lowes.ca just now. It rained and all is dry

13. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

I've never had a 12x12 but if you want a quality 10x10 I recommend the 'Gander Mountain 10' x 10' Canopy Combo'.

Regular price is $250 but goes on sale at $170 - $180. It is complete with screens and wind walls.

If you want something that stands up to wind it must have walls. Without walls the wind gets under the canopy, lifts, and destroys. The walls prevent the wind from getting under the canopy and also adds rigidity.

Also be sure whatever you buy is advertised as water proof/repellent, many are only sun shades.

14. steve7-4

steve7-4 'I'd rather be camping'

I bought a 12x12 at Cabelas for $79 last spring on sale. I like it because the legs are slanted which adds to the stability in winds. I wish it had an open flap at the top so that the warm air can escape. It did not puddle up on the top too much. When it collected rain it would let it go (spill out) by itself, I did not have to push up to empty out any pooling. It did leak at a few at the seams, just a bit. I will have seal the seams. Fortunately, we have been real lucky with rain. However, last month in West Virginia at Lake Summersville it poured multiple time on the last day. That's when I learned about the drips. Awnings are great but just too small on a PU, we always use the popup canopy over the picnic table and putted up to the awning when possible. The choices are endless out there. Good luck!!

15. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

16. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

Does that model sell walls separately?

17. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

Thanks for all the information but keep it comings [:D]

18. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

I just bought a pro shade 10x10 at Costco a couple of weeks ago, they must be clearing them out. They don't show up on the website, but my local store had a handful of them marked at $79. It comes with 4 side panels and a wheeled carry bag. This looks very similar to the canuck's model but it includes the side panels already.

http://www.cochaser.com/blog/proshade-10-x-10-folding-canopy/

I plan on using 5 gallon buckets of water at each corner attached to the top rail with ratchet straps to help with the fly away problem.

I reread your thread title, you asked for the best...Ive always been partial to ez up for ease of setup, I had a cheap pvc covered ezup from kmart for over ten years, it had slanted legs and I much prefer straight legs. When I camp I lower the canopy to the lowest setting at night and when away from camp to hopefully avoid wind damage and sideways rain. The angled legs made raising and lowering a pain due to the footprint changing when I had the feet anchored with stakes. Eventually the blue stripes on the cover delaminated and flaked off in fine blue flakes, what a mess. I was looking for a replacement when I about tripped over these pro shades at Costco. In all honesty, the price was the main selling point. I had researched ez up and first up canopies and was going to add one to the Christmas list, but I thought for $79 I could take the risk on an off brand model.

19. West Coast Canuck

20. West Coast Canuck

Sorry, I reposted, I actually bought the canopy from Canadian Tire not Costco as I originally posted.