Best option for "emergency toilet"?

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by KTZ, Jun 5, 2021.

1. KTZ

KTZ New Member

Hi! Im new to the group and we are picking up our first - ever popup camper this weekend. We are buying a forest river 1070esp from someone we know and its in great condition. It has an outside shower but no potty. What is the best option for an emergency, middle of the night in bear country potty? (Im thinking we put one outside inside the privacy tent that theyre giving us to go with the outside shower?) We would like to try out boondocking eventually and also have some local campgrounds that require a "fully contained" camper. This one has a water tank and even a 6 gal water heater, but apparently not even grey water collection tank? (even though there is a sink inside?) So really two questions:
    1. whats the best option for an emergency/possible boondocking potty?
    2. Are there external grey water tanks or mods we could add to drain the sink to? my understanding is that when the current owner has been without hookup they just drain the sink to a bucket (not sure what they have done for a potty? shovel & a hole? I guess I should ask! haha)
    Thanks for any info/ advice!
    KTZ

2. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

1. Potty--I like the portapotties. Check out Thetford's models for an example. They have holding tanks and flush water tanks. Seal up nice and tight. Some folks like the more simple buckets equipped with baggies or kitty litter or even less appealing methods.
    2. You use a bucket or a wastewater tote. These won't make all "self-contained only" places happy though because they aren't really self-contained.

Everything possible has been invented by the RV industry. It's out there! :)

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Many people like the portapotties, Thetford Curve is one I see mentioned quite a bit.

We used the gel filled bags in both popups, and still keep them on hand for using in the trailer if we take it out winterized, or if I miscalculate black tank use (happened once in 6-1/2 seasons), plus we can use them while hiking, or backpacking, where "carry it out" includes more than just food wrappers. The good thing is that the gel bags are approved to be disposed of in landfills (i.e. dumpsters). We used Reliance at first, along with their folding toilet, The toilet was a bit low for me, the Cleanwaste/Go-Anywhere/PETT toilet we have is the height of a home toilet and a bit more stable, and I like their bags a bit better. I also bought a jar of the 'poo powder" to add to a bag if necessary or to use in an y plastic bag. (The first season we had the folding toilet, 10+ years ago, bags were difficult to find while I was on a 3-week cross country trip). With our small popups, the folding toilets were a good use of packing space too.

I found great deals at one point on eBay, for the PETT toilet, its enclosure (ended up using it inside with just the two of us & on my solos), and bags by the case.

https://www.amazon.com/Cleanwaste-T...d=1&keywords=cleanwaste&qid=1622919053&sr=8-5
    https://www.amazon.com/Cleanwaste-P...d=1&keywords=cleanwaste&qid=1622919053&sr=8-6

4. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Porta-potties are as close as you'll get to a typical flush toilet experience in a portable, occasional use toilet. There are toilet seats that are made to fit over five-gallon buckets, but they can become a lot more fragrant. Porta-potties have a freshwater tank surrounding the bowl area, and a blackwater holding tank as a detachable cassette under the bowl. You put a packet and some water into the blackwater tank to prep it (or some liquid chemical and water), and then when it's time to dump it you tote it to a restroom and pour it down the toilet carefully. Add more chemical and water, and it's ready again.

A built-in Thetford toilet is really just a built-in porta-potty, with a larger blackwater cassette. But it works the same way.

Porta-potties are portable, and not messy. They come in sizes from 2.5 gallon holding tanks up to five and a half gallon holding tanks. If you don't mind dumping it daily, 2.5 gallon is fine.

The shower tent enclosure is a great solution for keeping the porta-potty outside, while still providing privacy.

Be sure to use biodegradable toilet paper; it breaks down more easily, so will more readily dump out when you empty the toilet.

Emptying is really easy, if a little spashy. :)

5. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I love the thetford 565e...but it has a taller seat height like a home toilet so it is probaly not gonna fit into or under any cabinet without modifiying your camper...we bought a floor kit that it snaps onto to hold it while traveling.

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

We use THIS porta potti when camping. You can choose to use it in the shower tent or move it inside the pup if you are worried about using it outside in the middle of the night.

I have been known to use THIS if the porta potti is outside on a cold night. I have two of these. I keep one in the pup and one in the boat. There is an ADAPTER available for the ladies, but I cannot attest to how well it works.

We use THIS to catch gray water. Before we started using it, we just used an old cat litter bucket.
    William O'Brien EDIT.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  7. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

For gray water, we use a 5 gal bucket with a lid. DH attached a fitting to the lid for the gray water hose to attach. For the toilet, we use a 5 gal bucket with the gel bags and the Luggable Loo seat.....unless we are deep in the woods, then it really is a shovel and a hole.

An open gray water bucket attracts wildlife. Little critters fall in and drown, so keep it covered.

Westcoast and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

You do a search on gray water tote you will find a ton of options or you can take an easy way and use a bucket or something. Now if you are taking an outside shower you also need to catch that water (if at a campground). Some people just use a folding pool or something and an external pump to transfer the water to the gray water container. You mentioned you would like to boondock. Don’t know if your previous tent campers or not, but conserving water is very important when boondocking or even dry camping. So you learn navy showers or find other ways to get wet.

Westcoast and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  9. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We have a "Wolf Wise" shower/poop tent....

We use a toilet seat that fits on a 5 gal bucket, lined with a plastic bag... campfire ash to sprinkle over the "nasties" when done...

For the "Grey Water" from the sink, I cut a small length of garden hose that screwed into the drain at the bottom of the PUP...

Have a BLAST with your new PUP!!!!

Happy Trails!

Westcoast and DiamondGirl like this.
  10. xfireflunky

xfireflunky New Member

For grey water, just a common sense thing, on the ground, hose to a tree or into a 5gal jug whatever fits the surroundings. I kind of prefer the luggable loo bags or bags with kitty-litter easier to throw in trash than finding a dump station, vault-toilet, or restroom then carrying and pouring the tank-cassette.

Westcoast likes this.
  11. Eric Young

Eric Young New Member

We have one of these portable toilets in the privacy tent next to the camper for emergencies. It holds 3.5 gallons of fresh water for flushing and 5 gallons of waste. Easy to use. There are videos of it on the internet.

Attached Files:

12. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

We took our new-to-us Thetford Curve Porta Potti 565P (manual pump) on our recent trip. 2nd trip with the potti, first trip in which we did no 1 and no 2.

We keep it outside during the day, inside a privacy tent if needed.

We keep it inside at night (DW absolutely loves this)

For travelling, we separate the Porta Potti into the upper and lower units and slide them both under our bed support slats, where they are restrained by other subsequently placed items during travel. The upper unit gets placed on a rubber mat. The base unit sits directly on the flooring.

This has worked well so far.

Tip - use RV bowl liners if pooping, and aim dead center.

FYI - the big Aliner table was replaced with three panels of slats, and the bed stays made up.

13. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I have used both a Go Anywhere Toilet (uses bag with cat litter or a more expensive chemical) and a Thetford non electric toilet in my Aframe (flush similar to a toilet with water source built into the Thetford). The Thetford is more like a conventional toilet and can be used multiple times for number 1 before needing to be emptied. I had to get rid of the bag on the Go Anywhere Toilet each morning so the Thetford is better. However, the Go Anywhere Toilet can be packed up and stored easily whereas the Thetford takes up more room. I only used it inside the A Frame so I did not have an outside tent. Either will work. hoffsalinertravels.net

14. mowmow

mowmow Member

We got the Thetford 2.5 gal porta potty. We got that size so it would fit inside the dinette cabinet. My husband made a wooden stand a few inches tall for it to sit on to raise it up to chair toilet height the same as at home. We found it easy to use, and it was really nice to have it at night. No odor at all, but I do pump a little bit of water into it to sit in the bowl, and I pump a little water in, then close the lid when I open it to flush. During the day I put it away in the cabinet, at night I set it in front of the door.
    I used 1 teaspoon of the powdered black tank treatment that comes in the little pouches. Just cut it open and put it into a little plastic container with a dedicated measuring spoon. Then added 2c of water with it to the bottom before we left. We filled the upper tank when we got to the campground.
    The only problem we encountered was a sign on the bathroom door of the campground stating that we could NOT empty the porta potties there. Apparently too many folks have been spilling stuff all over the bathroom. We were only camping for 3 days so it wasn't a problem, we just emptied it when we got home.
    We have a kinda cool green funnel with a plug that goes on a plumbing standpipe just outside the garage that we use to dispose of doggy doos. I dumped it into there, and it was conveniently close to the garage sink to add water and shake and rinse to clean out.
    The experience got an "A" from me (and I'm a retired ICU RN clean freak). Private, convenient potty, no smell, no mess, easy to fill, empty, and clean up.

15. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I think the choice of toilet facilities depends on how may and what gender you have in your party. I camp alone and mainly boondock. I carry a Porta Potti in my camper mainly for use at night. During the day behind any tree will do. For the more substantial "load", I generally go out in the forest and dig a hole. If my sons and their families are camping with me, we always go a considerable distance down-wind and dig a big hole with a bucket and a toilet seat over it. The bucket is just for height. A shower tent provides privacy. On those rare occasions that I am in a public camp ground, I use the on-site facilities like everyone else.

DiamondGirl and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  16. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

We camp where it’s a bad idea to wander after dark. Portopotty inside the door works for us

17. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

I have used three different models throughout my 20 years of camping before buying a travel trailer.
    1. Reliance fold to go portable toilet https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Pro...ing&qid=1632962572&sprefix=reliance+po&sr=8-3
    2. Reliance Luggable Loo: https://www.amazon.com/RELIANCE-Lug...ggable+loo&qid=1632962640&sprefix=lugg&sr=8-3
    3. Dometic Portable Toilet 2.6 gallon: https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-3010...et&qid=1632962748&sprefix=dometic+port&sr=8-3
    Learn from my experience….Those types using kitty litter or toilet waste bags are not economical and smelly (items #1 & #2). Spending money on kitty litter and toilet waste bags will amount to the cost of a portable toilet. Don’t waste your money continuously upgrading through the years like I did. Keep in mind, some campgrounds do not allow disposal of toilet waste bags. Buy a portable flushing toilet. Get the five gallon model for extra capacity and height. It’s worth the initial cost, easy to maintain, and extremely convenient to have.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

18. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

And make sure it fits into your storage cabinet, if applicable.

19. Westcoast

Westcoast Member

First of all Welcome from so cal