Best Over-winter Cover

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by DJFav, Sep 30, 2018.

1. DJFav

DJFav Member

Please weigh in! Our new pup will be on concrete next to garage. Have ac on top.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I just bought a chepo one on amazon. Its still in the box. From what i read they dont last more then a few years.

3. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

Best over winter cover? -A garage lol.
    I'd park my pup in the garage instead of my vehicle...fortunately my garage is large enough for both!

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I use THIS one for all seasons. I store my pup indoors in the winter, outdoors during the season.

DJFav likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

I could do that, was the original plan. But quickly realized , all my tools , generator , etc would be blocked in. I have 2 single car garages. I didnt want to take a chance of not getting to my tools just in case. I obviously didnt think it through! The other garage has the steps from the house. And i wouldent be able use them.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I got a National Cover as a gift this spring and will be using that to keep the camper protected. The Acdo and a factory Coleman accessory cover I got 3 years tops.

DJFav likes this.
  7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I used a tarp and blocked it up off the roof for air circulation

8. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Think this what what I ordered a while back in the 10'-12' size, we have a 10' Ranger Aliner, but they come in a variety of sizes, has the Tyvek top material, snap buckle assembly etc, & is breathable...we have a mongo carport it'll stay under, still will utilize the cover...https://www.etrailer.com/p-290-22893.html

DJFav likes this.
  9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Got this cover two years ago and top fabric is falling apart. Taped the corners two weeks ago, now there is a split over the door. "Heavy Duty" is used loosely these days.
    eTrailer- CA80039 Classic Accessories Deluxe PolyPro III Heavy-Duty Pop-Up Camper Cover - 10' - 12' Long- <$80.

10. Overland

Overland Active Member

I'm planning a decent tarp with an innertube inflated just under, patio pavers under tires. All under a shelterlogic instant garage.

Last season I kept it in my son's 3rd bay but I don't think that will be an option this winter.

Keep in mind, my camper season is just about to start.. I don't do well in heat and humidity.

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Which National Cover did you get, if you don't mind me asking? Goldline or Expedition?

12. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Hi Sjm9911,
    I know this is an old thread and I was looking through this discussion page for covering / winterizing my pop up and wanted to ask you: which cover did you get and how is it holding up after a year? Did you store your pop up outside and do your place get snow? Thanks so much!
    MC

13. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

While you are waiting for @Sjm9911 to answer you, I have THIS one that I use during the season. I use indoor storage in the winter.

It is true that they don't last very long. I am on my third year with mine but it is a bit tattered on the ends and will get a new one soon (it's already in my Amazon cart) that I will start using next spring after I get the pup out of storage.

It is breathable and keeps the UV rays off of the camper. The cover gets grimy instead of the camper. You should also look into getting wheel covers. UV rays are hard on tires.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Sjm9911

I have the same one just bigger. I leave my pup outside all winter. Im in nj , so we get snow, just not a ton last year. It held up better then i thoigh it would. It didnt blow off or move even in some good storms. Its only on the pup for like winter and part of the spring, and fall.

15. Sjm9911

16. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Thank you both @BikeNFish and @Sjm9911 ! I am in central Indiana and we do get good snow. I am 'torn' between whether I keep my pop up inside the garage or outside, this coming winter. Initially I was hoping to store inside, but now I am not sure as it would not leave much space for the other car (my DW drives), plus so many of my tools, etc., that are there. I am being lazy to organize them :(. So, now I am thinking if I could keep it outside with a cover and would it be 'okay'. I have a 2002 Coleman Cheyenne with ABS roof. PO kept it inside (down south, where they get no snow, but lot of heat). The roof is 'okay' except for some hairline cracks that PO used silicone caulking! I will most likely try to remove the silicone caulking and apply Grizzly Grip before next camping season. If the covers are waterproof, then I am thinking I can leave it outside as it will not get too hot to cause more damage in the roof. Then by next summer, I can think if either moving it inside the garage or 'something' else. I have yet to decide! Maybe your suggestions or comments will help :).

Again, thanks SO MUCH!
    MC

BikeNFish likes this.
  17. Sjm9911

Inside is probably better if you can swing it. My pop up was too long.

18. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

No purpose designed trailer cover is "waterproof", rather it's breathable. Cover your ABS roof with something that is "waterproof" such as a plastic tarp and you'll find temps under that cover on a sunny day in Jan will get alarmingly high. I stored our 2000 Santa Fe inside my workshop year round and when we sold it 6 yrs later it was about as close to showroom new as any trailer could be. No question in my mind as to which is better. ;)

Camper054 likes this.
  19. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Camper054 likes this.
  20. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

You are going to make my lazy a__ move and clean and organize my garage? :). I agree it would be 1000 times better if I can store it inside. Thanks!

Sjm9911 likes this.