Best parks for stargazing

southern gal

Jul 6, 2018
South Georgia
Stephen C. Foster State Park - Fargo, Georgia - 17 miles off the main road (which is in the sticks). Considered a dark sky park. Bonus - you can take boat rides and see lots of alligators.

Emerson

Apr 30, 2020
Tahquamenon Falls state park in Paradise Michigan. I live in the southeastern corner of the state’s Lower Peninsula, so the drive is approximately 6 hours with trailer in-tow. By far the best place I have ever been to see the northern lights!

Nimron

Aug 4, 2020
Merritt Reservoir, North Central Nebraska. Great camping (I like the east side with no hookups and near the beach), great fishing, its in the Sandhills of Nebraska so great sand beaches. There are no towns within 25-30 miles so there are no Lights to light up the sky. Go there on a no moon night and you cant see your hand in front of your face. Beautiful stargazing.

jdsdj98

Dec 28, 2016
Colorado
Reading this makes me realize we're fortunate in the west to have ample sparsely populated lands to enjoy, especially if you boondock. I couldn't even compile a list of stargazing spots we've enjoyed. It would just read, "in the mountains" or "out there."

grisfamtexas

Lone Star campers
Jul 11, 2008
TEXAS!
I would certainly agree with Big Bend if you are only thinking Texas....and also agree that you may not want to go in summer.....because it is EXTREMELY hot with a pop up. But.. if you just mean anywhere we have found star gazing wonderful.... try KODACHROME State Park in Utah (just down the road from Bryce Canyon a few miles and OH THIS PARK IS WONDERFUL!!!

Karen Gay

Silver Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2019
If you’re in the Midwest, northeastern Indiana’s Pokagon State Park had an awesome ranger-led star gazing program one weekend night a month for campers.

MNTCamper

Super Active Member
Jun 14, 2014
MN
There are all sorts of campgrounds on the Colorado plateau at high elevation with no lights around. They are excellent for sky viewing.

onyoursix

Mar 24, 2012
Cherry Springs State Park, Pennsylvania
I live 9 miles from the park & I took my beginning flight instruction at the Cherry Springs Airport in my youth. Airport is now gone and what remains is a terrifically huge field to set up your telescopes. There are three small observatories on site as well. There is a good sized campground right at the park. A couple times a year their are “Star Parties” that last a week or more.
Also, once a year in August there is a Woodsmen’s Carnival. Logging equipment, vendors, logging competitions..etc...

https://cherryspringsstatepark.com/

Latest posts