Best radio for boondocking?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by popup 61, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I'm not supporting or promoting any one radio brand, just supporting the need to have one. I do have a weather radio in my camper and it saved me from being snowed in on this last trip. My son and I went up to the 7,600 level in the Sierra mountains two weeks ago. We checked the weather report two days before we left and there was not supposed to be any snow. However, as we got up to the 5,000 foot level we began to see patches of snow sticking to the ground. The higher we went the worse it got. It was not snowing at that time. At our camp site there was 6 to 8 inches of snow on the ground. We set up camp in a small clearing and gathered firewood for the cold night. While sitting around the nice warm fire that first night, I turned on the weather radio to see what the forecast was. We were surprised to hear that the forecast called for a heavy weather front moving into that area around 4 p.m. the next day with an additional snowfall of 12 or more inches above the 7,000 foot level. The winds were forecast to be in excess of 60 mph over the ridges.

We decided to get the heck out of there and get down to a lower altitude. We packed up first thing in the morning and headed down. We found a new site at the 5,600 level and set up. Sure enough, at around 4p.m. that afternoon the rain started. It rained constantly for a day and a half, but no snow. Had we not had and listen to the weather radio the day before, we might very well have been stranded in about 2 feet of new snow. So if you Boondock, especially in the mountains, get a weather radio and check it every day!

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Nope, doesn't work when there is mountains in the way.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Your statement "All" didn't say anything about mountains.

5. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Active Member

Th
    This looks cool, but now unavailable on amazon!

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

is there anything to be heard these days on SW Bands?

7. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Active Member

I’ve been playing around a little with a radio with SW, gifted to me over Xmas. So far nothing on the dial! Maybe you can start a broadcast @Anthony Hitchings!

8. Anthony Hitchings

Using only my built-in telescopic antennae, I tried my Sony SW7600 last night, scanned all the bands, got only one Chinese station, English language broadcast, I think it was 5995 khz. This in the Oakland area, CA.

TheBlurb and Econ like this.
  9. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

I get VOA African broadcast and Radio Havana for Cuban music. I'm pretty sure Sackville and Antigue relays, the main cross Atlantic relays, have been shutdown and disassembled. Most who target the US now use internet. That includes Radio Netherlands.

TheBlurb likes this.
  10. Anthony Hitchings

I tried this again last night (nothing) and this morning (Chinese language stations) amid much static and a very strong extremely regular repeating “bzzt” that was extremely annoying and on all frequencies. I was using a long wire antennae (about 70 ft) aligned sort of NE-SW (corrected) here in oakland. My Tesla controller for the rooftop panels was not the source of the bzzt

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    TheBlurb likes this.