Best site(s) for camground info/reviews?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by nectarsis, Jun 26, 2020.

1. nectarsis

nectarsis New Member

With so many options out there, what are your favorite sites for campground info/reviews?

2. slowcarfast

slowcarfast Member

nectarsis and Rusty2192 like this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

If you post your travel wants/plans you should get campsite and road suggests right here.

nectarsis likes this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I say this from experience We were looking to camp upstate New York looking for a nice place. Snow a member here suggested Letchworth Sate Park and I think the site was 701 ......... It was quiet and beautiful ......one of the best suggestion I every got.

nectarsis likes this.
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I find as many as I can online, and take them with a grain of salt, since people are far more apt to complain than laud. I have used Campendium just as a double check, The Dyrt hasn't been helpful for the places we planned to go. I also use campsitephotos,com, if the campground is on there, it can be helpful, as can satellite views on google maps, etc.
    For instance, this week I reserved a site for a fall trip, campsitephotos had one view, the reservation site had another, and the campground map was also useful (I know they can be misleading).

nectarsis likes this.
  6. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I was going to say these too. A couple others to round it out are RV Parky and CampersApp.

Some campgrounds are even on Yelp, Trip Advisor, and Google reviews.

nectarsis, kcsa75 and kitphantom like this.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

For me, most of my camping is dry and I don't want amenities like pools, stores, laundry, group campfires, kids activities, etc. So, reviews don't really help at all. I am able to determine if a campground is going to be to my tastes by the size and location. campsitephotos.com does come in handy picking individual sites once I've decided on a campground - it's nice to see how the site is set up. Where the picnic table and firepit are located in conjunction with the parking pad, amount of shade, view, etc.

The few times I've needed an overnight place (in which case I go for electrical hookups and easy access) I've checked freecampsites (but I found the info outdated for where I was looking) and good sam's rv park listings. The latter did fine.

nectarsis likes this.
  8. adkdave

adkdave Member

If you ever travel to New York State I found a unique website called campadk.com it lists all NYS DEC and State campgrounds with actual large photographs (unlike the postage size picture you get from reserveamerica) of most campsites, up to 6 photos for some. Many are from different angles, so you get an idea of how close you are to the road or the next campsite. It is pretty easy to use.

daveo1289 and nectarsis like this.
  9. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

The adventure is finding out for yourself...everyone is different and what is important is different for each person.
    As far as what campgrounds offer that may be a long distance away online can be a great way.
    We like to scout all campgrounds within 100 miles when we arent camping on weekends to see how busy they are and how clean they are and what sites we would prefer if were to camp there.
    If we happen to be traveling and not camping we will check places out along the way if possible.
    We avoid reviews because cicumstances are always different and what one person dislikes may not be a big deal to another.

nectarsis likes this.
  10. slowcarfast

slowcarfast Member

For me a big reason to read the reviews is to gauge ease of access to dispersed or primitive campsites, sometimes access can be challenging, especially when towing a trailer. Plus there are some pictures to give a sense of the place. I have also found some good sites through the expedition portal forums (https://expeditionportal.com/forum/). That forum is focused on overlanding but they have given me some great campsite recommendations!

nectarsis likes this.