Best thing you ever ate while camping

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by 3sons, Sep 20, 2012.

1. 3sons

3sons Only good at Drinking Beer

[CP] Mine had to be the Grupier that a neighbring camper made mmmmmm love a good seasoned and cooked fish.

2. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

That's really hard to say. I make a lot of different foods in my dutch oven. If I really had to choose, I might have to say the homemade ice cream I made this summer in my dutch oven. When you are out in the middle of nowhere, and it is hot and humid.... Ice cream, Mmmmm yummy!

3. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks? Biscuits with gravy, pancakes with bacon, pie iron sandwiches,steak or burger, hot dogs or brats, chili or lasagna, fish or chops, shrimp or chicken, s'mores and DO treats, everything, yes everything taste great while camping.

For breakfast, we love bacon/egg/potato/cheese sandwiches in the pie iron. Our most memorable dessert has been the Apple dumplings done in the DO. I can't pick a favorite dinner but friends have found the DO lasagna to be quite impressive.

4. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I would say just about anything we've cooked onsite. Anything eaten at the campsite beats anything I've had at Fogo de Chao (Ok, maybe that's getting a LITTLE carried away).

But one of our "must have" meals includes pork chops and "camp potatoes" which is just cut up potatoes with onions, garlic/onion salt, parsley cooked in the dutch over that still has the bacon grease from cooking bacon that morning. Mmmmm, potato crunchies off the bottom... I usually remove a fair amount of the bacon grease as one pound of bacon produces too much for this dish.

I'm more than satisfied with beef hotdogs over a wood fire. Apparently, I'm quite easy to please. It's just the setting that makes the meal, for me.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

One of our most memorable food items was when we happened across the Cascadian Farms fruit stand, and bought beautiful fresh blackberries. We then bought some heavy cream and had a wonderful dessert that night.

6. Butterfly

Butterfly New Member

we had a great crab leg, shrimp, corn and potato broil.It was a feast. mmmmmmm

7. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Tough to single it out, but here's my favs....

Ribeye steaks over the open fire. Simple, but unbeatable.

Breakfast would be biscuits n gravy, with DO biscuits.

Dessert would be DO pineapple upside down cake.

8. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

I travel with a charcoal grill, a charcoal smoker and two dutch ovens...they get a lot of use....I can't pick which is my favorite...

9. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

One of those soft pretzels on a fork over the fire until almost burnt with some pepper bacon wrapped through it then dipped in heated cream cheese. I call it a coronary on a fork.

10. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Holy Heart Attack, Batman!

(Pssst. Which campsite are you at?)

11. papachaz

papachaz New Member

whomever said they cook so much in the dutch oven it's hard to decide X1000!!!!

if you were going to force me to pick one, I'll say the barbequed ribs i've done in the dutch oven.....no wait, the chicken wings.....no wait the pork chops and veggies.....no WAIT, dangit, I'm starting to remember desserts too......

sigh, I can't decide

and now I'm hungry again

[:D] [:D]

12. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

My home made chili that was heated up at the CG.

13. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

The best was probably my wife's BBQ steak. Good cuts are few and far between here, and this batch was great. This and grilled veggies made me a happy camper! [CP]

14. capy235co

capy235co Member

As a kid we would go overnight camping in a heartbeat when ever we could. On the way out of town we would buy a pound of bacon, a dozen eggs, and a gallon of milk for the two of us. That was breakfast made in a cast iron skillet over an open fire. Still my favirite breakfast.

15. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

Omigosh! We were at that very place last July while on a day trip up to the Cascades with our friend Louise. We each bought a box of their fresh blueberries and sat outside, nibbling away. Within minutes, Louise and I had polished off our blueberries - every last one! Dan (aka DH) actually had about a third of his box left so we took it back and enjoyed it the next day. By the way, not only were these blueberries absolutely delicious, they were HUGE - most were literally the size of grapes!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. HarvsDad

HarvsDad New Member

Around midnight after fishing all day we had freshly caught walleye over the fire. We steamed it in a little beer & butter with just a touch of salt & pepper. Shared with friends, it doesn't get any better.

17. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Pretty tough question there! We camp a lot and we eat a lot and we enjoy both thouroughly. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm a pretty good cook and we do pretty well, both at the campsite and at home.

Probably my most memorable camping meal was the one I prepared for our first wedding anniversary in which we took a 5 night trip to one of our favorite little forest service CGs in southern Colorado. I did a very nice steak au poivre with grilled tiger prawns, wasabi & garlic mashed potatoes, and steamed asparagus. It is far to involved (and expensive) for the average camping meal or for the average meal at home for that matter...but it's great for a special occasion and well worth the effort. I spared no expense on that outing, going with 2 , 8 oz Wagyu Kobe Beef Filets; $40 per 8 oz filet...yeah, that comes out to $5/oz or $80/Lb. Don't even ask me how nervous I was preparing this dish...I'm a good cook and all, but everyone goofs now and then. This was one dish I didn't want to screw up. My wife often has difficulty cleaning her plate...I did instruct her that if anything was left, it had best be the mashed potatoes and not $20 worth of beef [LOL] .

18. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream!!!!! [:)O]

19. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Tbone steak with cut up onions and mushrooms cooked over the campfire with fresh of the farm Corn on the Cob and a cold Labaits Blue.

20. Hanvee3

Hanvee3 New Member

A few years back, DW and I were camping near Miramachi, New Brunswick. We discovered Taylor's Sea Food Shop that sold large lobsters for only $2.99 each. We bought the largest and juciest ones we could find. When we got back to camp we decided that the paper plates we had just wouldn't do, so we went into town and purchased proper plates. What a feast! That was in 1989. Guess the price of lobster has gone up since. That my friends was the best camping meal ever. [CK] [:)O] [:)O]