Best time to go to Okefenokee camping?

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by dgarbers, May 7, 2012.

1. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

We need a vacation - badly. Don't have a lot of time for a dream trip out west, but I thought we could look into the Okefenokee & surrounds. When is a good time to go - not blisteringly hot, no sand flies, no horse flies that will fly off with my kids, etc. ? How long should we plan on staying to see it all?

It looks like this is not a current topic, also, so I hope someone has some good info about the area.

I know nothing about this area at all, other than it is on my list of places to see.

What else do I need to know about going there? I will look at a AAA Guide and probably a guide book from the library before going. I have no idea if this is a good trip for sometime between now and Nov.

Thank you!!!

2. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

I can't help you with plans on visiting the swamp itself, but I can say we camped at Laura S. Walker State Park a couple of times and enjoyed it. The first time was in March. It was a nice trip.
    The second time we went there was in August, when the campground had just re-opened due to closure from the wildfires in the swamp. There were only three other sites taken (one was the hosts' site), so we pretty much had the campground to ourselves. I will say, there were ants EVERYWHERE! Even though we kept spraying anything and everything that touched the ground, we still brought some home. I think the ant problem was due to the drought.
    Anyway, the Okefenokee is just a short drive from the campground.

3. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

It's going to be hot in the Okefenokee most any time from June thru October, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun. There is some shade in the campground, but not much. The campsites on the inside of the loop are better than those outside.

ANYTIME you want to camp the Okefenokee, call ahead. That area has had several fires in recent years and could be under restriction at any time. We opted not to camp this past summer as a large portion of the park was closed at the time due to fire(s). Additionally, much of the boardwalk was closed b/c it had been burned in a previous fire and not been replaced yet.

If you have your own canoes/kayaks or would be willing to rent, there is a BUNCH to do. If not, there's only so much hiking as it's largely swamp (think Swamp People; deep water, thick brush, etc). There is an interactive visitor's center, but not much else.

But I would still recommend it as it's a cool park and we love paddling. Just call ahead and make sure it's all open.