Best way to modify the awning

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by jmcelvoy, Aug 20, 2014.

1. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

We just picked up a 2008 Jayco Jay Series pop up camper and the awning doesn't attach/brace to the sides of the camper. From what I can tell I'm just supposed to unroll it, then somehow tie it off to the ground. First question is how best could I secure it that way. Second question is how can I mod it so the awning will brace up against the side of the camper and keep it tight?

2. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

From what I've seen, no PUP awning legs attach to the side of the PUP unless it's been modified by someone. They all have poles (Sometimes separate, sometimes swinging down from the awning rail.) that hang from the rail to the ground. You can secure the poles different ways. Guy lines similar to a tent. Vertical bungy cords to the ground. Both of these methods use various kinds of stakes; the choice is yours. Another method, typically used on concrete pads, is containers filled with concrete. Slightly larger pipe set in middle of a container (like a large coffee can) that the pole slides into. Usually a hole drilled through both the pole and pipe with a locking pin.

You should keep in mind that in heavy winds (I use 20-25 mph as a limit.) you should stow the awning in it's bag or it can be damaged/flip and damage your roof.

FYI

http://he-ruide.smugmug.com/Awning

https://picasaweb.google.com/114965508600034918003/2000FleetwoodSantaFePopup#5269366628088708642

http://gmcamping.tripod.com/id13.html

This is what I did.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Brad.recumbentman/AwningMod#5357998671007477906

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

4. The Hillbilly Hilton

The Hillbilly Hilton New Member

I always attach the screen room. Mine is the older zipper on kind with roll down privacy flaps. The weight of the room keeps the awning tight. Never had an issue even in the strongest winds.

Timed it once, only took 4 minutes extra to put it up and even faster taking it down if you don't count folding it back up.

5. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

If it is a jayco awning that came with the pup, there should be spring loaded tension poles that go between the camper roof and the support pole along the out edge of the awning. This, along with the up / down support poles do a great job with the awning.

6. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

Thanks. Some really good tips here.

7. RangerZ

RangerZ Member

One comment about the attachment of awning to the side of the pup - carefree brand "campout" awning has the option to attach to the side of the pup using brackets that come with the awning. Granted that is probably not the awning you currently have as jayco oem install. That said ghacker's comment about wind speeds should be heeded, I speak from experience, I failed to heed that advice about a year ago and my oem awning is probably 3 states away due to 40-50 mph (?) wind. I now have a carefree campout awning (with pup brackets to mount on the side) and I retract it if winds look iffy. Good luck!

8. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

9. katherine726

katherine726 New Member

Ghacker - Thanks for posting those pics and instructions. That looks great!

10. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

My awning poles (up / down) have opposed holes near the bottom and a V type clip that goes into the holes. We then drive a stake down into the ground that captures the point on the V clip and hence holds the poles to the ground. This makes the awning very stable, even in winds up to 30 mph. IF you can't stake down the poles, that is another issue. The Jayco poles should be set up to be staked into the ground.

11. banks412

banks412 New Member

My '95 Skamper has a 'homemade' awning that extends out and then attaches back to the PuP via support poles. I think the awning itself is made from a picnic tablecloth with the plastic sliders sewn into it and a pocket on the opposite end for the support pole. All of the supports are made of 1/2" EMT - works pretty well. Goes up fairly quick and I secure it with a couple of square cinder blocks that I always keep in my TV and some paracord. Will try to post a pic.

Sorry this is kind of far away, but you get the idea. Matching pipe clamps and right angles stay attached to the PuP and swivel up and down as needed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]