Best/worst porta- pottys?

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by Milemaker13, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

We are going to buy a little PP for the pup. Mom dad and kid will all use it sometime or another I'm sure, but a major usage will be my 3 yr old instead of rest area bathrooms. As I'm trying to scrub a crusty And wet toilet with baby wipes he's doing his best to touch every surface and subsequently rub his eyes and put hands in mouth. Then back in the car hes literally licking the bottoms of his shoes. I MEAN COME ON KID!!
    So aside from pup duty (lol) I'm going to turn the mini van into his personal throne room whilst on the road.
    What the best PPs on the market today? Worst? Features to look for or avoid?
    Looks like about $100 is the general range. Seen one at $12... um, prolly not. Seen some at $400+... ahh, yeah no too.

What say you?

Blackripley likes this.
  2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Personally we prefer an electric flush porta potti, having at the time had a Thetford 585 in our 2000 Santa Fe - MUCH easier to use, especially for kids, and doesn't temp them to push the bellows on a manual flush really hard in an attempt to squirt water in the camper. [:O] These days I'd probably buy a Thetford Curve electric flush PP.

nhlakes likes this.
  3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I got a Thetford at Wally World for about $60 for my boat. Seems to work ok the few times it's been used.

4. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

The smallest units are not very tall, an advantage for a 3 year old. If adults will use a bigger (taller) unit will be more comfortable.

5. GreyFox

Shorter porta pottis also have a small waste tank, ~ 2.5 gals whereas taller units usually have a ~ 5 gals waste tank. We've found the smaller tank too small for how we use a porta potti as it would barely get us through a weekend without emptying, others may be fine with it.

6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I think mine is midsize. A Thetford, and not electric. I don't know if you can control the amount of water used to flush with an electric, but you can with the manual and that is an advantage if you're trying to make it last longer. I suspect they're all pretty good, and you're likely to be somewhere you can empty it so capacity isn't that big a deal.

I recommend measuring your potty cabinet first and seeing what fits to narrow down the choices. Subtract about a half inch so you can attach sliders and have some wiggle room.

3-year olds in public restrooms set off my germ alarms. I like your plan. :)

Milemaker13 likes this.
  7. GreyFox

Yes, more so than with a manual flush - water only flows into the bowl when the flush button is pushed. Got at least 2 seasons of camping with just one set of AA batteries.

8. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Define best and worst would be useful. What is best for one might not meet the requriements of another.

I am a big guy and weight handling capacity for me is critical to my ability to safely use a port o potty.

For others, convenience features might be the winning ticket.

Still for others, reliability is the end all be all of the portable toilet.

For those wanting low budget simplicity, reliability, and ruggedness, the Luggable Loo, which is a system that consists of a catch bag with bio gel to capture waste in a 5 gallon bucket, with a toilet seat lid. I used one of these for years. They fact you can't flush the waste grosses my wife out, so it was time to go to the next option.

For durability / weight handling. The Best Choice Products 5 gallon has a weight capacity of 440lbs which leaves me with a comfortable margin.

For budget friendly, simple design, and potentially but I have to verify this, weight handling. The Jaxpety 5 Gallon portable toilet is a bargain at just under $60.00 (specific price varies depending on color you option in.) UPDATE: I have reached out to Jaxpety for clarification. This toilet is rated at a 440lb upper weight limit.

For conveniece features like electric flush, and attractiveness, although not so much on reliability, the Thetford Curve is well regarded, and has features such as electric flush, optional floor clamp, and a much more modern attractive design compared to other models.

Now considering your specific requirements, I would probably recommend teh Jaxpety of the Best Choice Products. Rugged, Durable, easy to clean, easy on the budget. Oh, You might want to set up a way to hose the kid down between messes... Wow.

Also, within your price range are the ever present bucket toilets. They range from a simple 5 gallon bucket lined with double trash bags and a little bit of cat litter or sawdust, a seat of sorts made from pipe insulation or a pool noodle. Then there is the Luggable Loo with the Double Doodie bags with Bio Gel. The Luggable Loo is a toilet seat lid that clicks shut, and the bio gel in the double doodie bags contains and traps waste, reduces odor.

Honestly, I wouldn't want a recently used Luggable Loo inside the vehcile with me.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    TheBlurb likes this.