Better Heat Distribution

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by cahillprc2, Nov 1, 2018.

1. cahillprc2

cahillprc2 Member

Our Atwood Hydro Flame Furnace is located all the way forward on the drivers side of our pup. It produces plenty of heat (almost too much) but the far end of the pup doesn't really get much heat. We're looking for any ideas or mods others have done to redirect the heat toward the back of the pup. Not really interested in using another portable electric or propane heater just better distribution of the heat we have. Seems like a crazy place to just stick it there.

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Fan???

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Had a similar problem in out Palomino pup. Furnace at one end. So we used a small table top box fan to circulate the air throughout the pup. Also relocated the t-stat to a better location.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

When we've had power, we've used a fan to help distribute the heat in both our second pup and the TT. In the TT, one front corner stays pretty chilly (or stuffy on the rare occasions we need to use the a/c) because the bathroom blocks the air flow. At times, we use an electric space heater to supplement the heat; in our first popup, we had no furnace so it was the only source of heat. We also have a 12v Endless Breeze fan, which we can plug into the 12v outlet in the camper, or use with our Goal Zero Yeti 150. [The 12 outlet int he TT isn't in the most handy spot, it's on the back wall, so even with a 12v extension cord, we're more limited in placement than with the Yeti. One of these days I'd like to install another 12v outlet.]
    One Retro 177 owner (same TT as ours) installed a marine fan on the ceiling; I think he tapped into the ceiling light. It supposedly has a low enough power draw to allow use while dry camping.

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

We never had a problem with the furnace fan not doing an adequate job circulating the air. More importantly, what really helps to keep the heat in the pup are the Gizmos over the bunk ends and Reflectix in all of the windows.

6. cahillprc2

cahillprc2 Member

Has anyone tried ducting under the floor? Just curious... We camp mostly 3-4day weekends at sites with power but sometimes they're not available, like three weeks ago. We got by on battery for furnace set at lowest setting that's what got me thinking there's gotta be a better way to engineer this. I tried an O2Cool fan but not enough cfm to push that far https://www.amazon.com/gp/mobile/udp/B013BOC6VC...my kids used to do hvac work so maybe they might have some thoughts or custom make something

7. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

I use the roof top air conditioner's fan, which does a great job of getting air everywhere. This summer, I added a heat strip to the A/C, and it does a fine job taking the chill out of the air without even having to run the Atwood.

Of course, if you don't have an AC, that won't work for you.

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I too sleep on the back bunk so I too have gone through this dilemma. Since heat rises, I put an O2-Cool fan on the ceiling which I angle a bit to blow the warmer air toward the back of the camper. Seem to work fairly well. And since the front bunk is more for storage, I close the curtains across the bunk. This too help a lot.

I saw a face-plate for an Atwood furnace that had a directional duct. Told it was factor installed but I can't find it anywhere.

9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Like others said, I never ran in to the issue of the Atwood not moving enough air to keep it mixed. If I had power, I normally opted for a ceramic heater, but during the times I had power, I thought the Atwood fan was stronger than the ceramic heater and mixed it pretty well.

Could you duct it? Sure. A lot of TTs use the same furnace and duct them, so sure, it can be done. As long as you stay above the axle, and close to the floor, you SHOULD be okay with insulated flex ducting. But, if you want to get all fancy, you could make a sheet metal duct in a C-channel and use the floor as the top. Then, run it under the floor, and add a vent by the back bunk through the floor. The nice part there is it can be thinner, and you'd have a nice warm spot on the floor there. I never measured, but I assume the outlet temp isn't too high that it would melt the floor adhesive.

Anyway, you should consider relocating the t-stat as mentioned above. It's just two wires, and polarity doesn't matter (for heat only), so add some wire and move it where you sleep. That will help.

10. cahillprc2

cahillprc2 Member

Thanks those are great ideas. The temp coming out is really hot there is a youtube video that says its 225ยบ Wow!!! Sadly, there are a lot of things, besides the stat, that are in odd locations. I've even thought of relocating a lot of things and rewiring stuff as well. I think I'd put the stat in the kitchen cabinet so it would be more centralized front to back and waist high. If there's room I may try to run some 4" flex duct behind the fridge and inside the lower kitchen cab and out the dinette seat base.