Better Interior Battery Box Clamp

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Anthony Hitchings, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

because my two batteries are inside my Aliner Scout Low Profile (as the original battery was), and because I have two flooded batteries to check monthly (because I am too cheap to pay the $$$ for AGMs) I needed a robust easy-to-release clamp for the upper and lower halves of the battery box.

See attached photo for my solution. It uses 1-1/4" square aluminum tubing that I had already, and a set of four Husky micro clamps ($20 for the set of 4) - with their bars shortened.

Attached Files:

Econ likes this.
  2. Econ

Econ Active Member

Looks a whole lot easier than unscrewing screws. Good Work.

What type of batteries? I'm thinking 2 T-105's just forward of the Cool Cat. Could you take photos of all 4 sides of the battery box? Considering making a custom box out of exterior ply and venting it with a flexible 1.5" tubing. What ever Lowe's has. Do you have a lower vent for sulfate?

Thanks

3. Anthony Hitchings

they are commercial battery boxes (from WWW) made of plastic - so 100% acid resistant - they have mating keyed faces and take a gasket strip (which I have since replaced).

Look for this (or equal)
    Lavanture Products MA102BS Battery Box - Top Vented .

I had to add the upper vent to the top half, the bottom half has a drain hole (vent sized) which needs a hole in your PUP floor. I had to buy the outer PUP wall vent fitting as an extra.

Screwing the bottom half of the box to the pup floor as been only partially successful, one can too easily break thru the plastic base if not careful. I am resting my batteries on two strips of heavy foam rubber (not shown, cut from work mats) to keep the batteries up off the base of the box. Keep screw heads away from battery walls - else you risk breaking a cell wall, as I did.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  4. Anthony Hitchings

My batteries are Walmart RV/Marine Group 27, 105AH, $83 + tax. So far they meet my modest needs, and at that price I cannot go wrong. I am running a PV system with 2x100 W panels.

5. Anthony Hitchings

BTW - for road with bumps and potholes, let alone off road use, proper battery hold downs should be included. Its on my to-do list. It may be awkward to do properly with these battery boxes.

6. Econ

Econ Active Member

Thanks for the time and effort in providing the photos, etc.

I have a CPAP for the DW I have to support and we boondock a lot. The local parts house said they could get t105's for about 150.00 each plus tax. They are 225 AH. The T-125's are 240 AH. Been told there is a golf cart place that has better prices. The bottom line is the Solar project should end soon and this will probably be the next big project after the power center. The power center will be a Of course we may go hiking/camping at SMNP so there may be a delay..<<GG>>

The downside with 125's is you may need a different charger. Don't know if the WFCO can do them justice.

For 2 125's you need box bigger than 10.4 L x 14.25 W x 11.1H.

Are you having problems with the plastic box pulling loose from the floor or the plastic breaking around the screw heads? Fender Washers if the latter?

What do you think of heavy plastic sheeting and silicone as a leak preventer at the bottom of a homemade box?

7. Anthony Hitchings

I would not try a homemade box - because if you get it wrong - acid is not nice to deal with - it eats thru older backpack materials, including shoulder straps.

Yes - as I posted - I have difficulties anchoring the boxes - (its a work in progress) and the fender washer (stainless) option is on my research list.

The factory floor bolts keeping the camper box on the chassis frame have protruding heads - at least one of which is "proud" and under each battery box.

My large square tube clamp parts - are good - but I have to cope the rear tubes to fit under the vent - grrr.

8. Anthony Hitchings

BTW - my batteries are inside because my ALiner came with one battery inside (!) more or less to the rear. I added the other batter to get more PV storage capacity (amp Hours). I chose not to move the batteries on to the tongue - because the tongue will get too heavy.

Having my batteries inside reduces the likelihood of their being stolen, and keeps them warm in winter.

The odd thing is that the first inside battery was located on the kitchen side - which intrinsicly is the heavy side of the trailer - ideally - a single battery would have been on the other side for weight and CoG balance.

9. Econ

Econ Active Member

Woodworker?

10. Anthony Hitchings

"proud" = "projecting beyond a surface" (not always a bad thing, it depends on the design detail); its a term that I have known for longer than I can remember. I work with wood as needed, but I do not make cabinets (no patience for that level of precision and repetition).

11. Anthony Hitchings

So the aluminum tubing for the clamp bars is 1.25x1.25x1/8" thick which is a bit tiring for an old guy to cut by hand, and the sawzall did a poor job, so I just bought a $29 blade for non-ferrous metals (from Amazon) and put it on my Bosch compound miter saw. Six clean cuts in no time. I should have done this years ago.

12. Econ

Econ Active Member

The only people i know who use "proud" are woodworkers

1" x 1" by .0625 by 4 corners on the solar system was fun with a hacksaw

13. Anthony Hitchings

Well, I am proud to be a "woodworker"; back in Middle School in New Zealand we actually had a woodworking class one year. First project was a chisel (or screwdriver) holder. In that project we learnt to scribe, saw and chisel, and drill 2 holes. Then there was the slab-sided fruit holder - including two glass panes - cutting recessed grooves and so forth. Lastly was a breakfast-in-bed tray (or reading in bread tray) with folding legs and tilting tray - very fancy (anmd it still works to this day - tho its back in NZ).

14. Anthony Hitchings

there was something nagging my mind about "proud" - now I know what it is - Starbucks has hijacked the word "proud" with their slogan "Proudly serving..." used by coffee shops serving the Starbucks coffees

15. Econ

Econ Active Member

Starbucks is irrelevant. <<GGG>>

16. Anthony Hitchings

Photos of the end result (the oversized aluminum square tube needed "coping" - ugly but it worked.

Attached Files:

17. Anthony Hitchings

(edited for acid type) BTW - I did a corrosion test using hydrochloric (muriatic) acid on a piece of aluminum and a small S/S screw. Aluminum was reacting quickly - stainless steel much much slower.

Which is not the same as testing with sulphuric acid (found in flooded batteries).

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  18. Econ

Econ Active Member

Thanks for telling the story.

19. Jan Cristo

Jan Cristo New Member

20. Jan Cristo

Jan Cristo New Member

Do you have the batteries inside a container in camper?