Better Interior Battery Box Clamp

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Anthony Hitchings, Nov 6, 2019.

1. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid, not sulphuric acid.

Sorry couldn’t help myself[:D]

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Yes, it already came with the first battery inside a battery box, so I added the 2nd in a like manner.

3. Jan Cristo

Jan Cristo New Member

My two batteries are in plastic boxes but without lids - do they be enclosed?

4. Econ

Econ Active Member

The purpose of a battery box when using Flooded Lead Acid batteries inside the camper is to create an airtight container so the hydrogen gas created by charging and the hydrogen sulfate (??) caused by overcharging can be discharged outside of the camper. If you don't have lids on your battery boxes they aren't airtight.

Hydrogen gas rises. Hydrogen sulfate (??) is like propane. It's heavier than air.

5. Anthony Hitchings

irrespective of what we remember to be the gases and so forth, flooded batteries must be in sealed containers, BOTH floor vented (drained via base of bottom box half) and top-side vented (from upper box half) to outside the PUP cabin. As mine are.

It also helps with preventing acid damage if you have a leaking battery cell (due to damage from a protruding screw head)

6. Econ

Econ Active Member

You're the reason we have a plywood floor in the current battery box and are a inspiration to the new ones under the bed. Thanks

I am on the upside of recovery and should be out and about by this weekend.

7. Anthony Hitchings

One thing unique to placing batteries so far back in an ALiner (as I have done) - there is limited headroom for you to be usefully erect when lifting the batteries - its hard, and my arms ain't getting any stronger.

I had considered using smaller UPS batteries - more of them - to make up my net power needs. Maybe the next time around.

8. Econ

Econ Active Member

That is a consideration for those of us who weren't born recently.