Bettery style Kill Switch for Galley

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by PammyM, Jul 17, 2019.

1. PammyM

PammyM Member

I have a 2012 Rockwood Freedom 1940 LTD PopUp. 3rd Season with it and we love it.
    Below is a photo of the type of Kill switch that came installed under the fold-down galley.
    I'm constantly having to re-attach the wires to this switch. I know I can just clamp the two wires together to bypass the switch, which works, but that's a safety hazard. Silly question, but is there a better type of Kill switch I can install or a better way of attaching the wires to it? I've put new connectors on the end of the wires. I've tried using duct tape over the connectors to keep the wires from falling off but that's a nightmare to un-do if the wires loosen, and they have managed to do that with the duct tape. If I tighten the connectors too much, then I can't slide them onto the switch. Thanks! Pam

upload_2019-7-17_6-36-19.png

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I would solder the wires onto the switch, but you could try squeezing the connectors a bit before you put them on the switch to make a tighter fit.

Sjm9911 and PammyM like this.
  3. PammyM

PammyM Member

Thanks. I tried squeezing the connectors but if I squeeze them too tight, I can't slip them on. Leave them a bit looser and one good bump on the road makes them fall off. Covered them with duct tape and they still fell off and then it took forever to try and get the duct tape off so I could fix it. Maybe there is a better type of connector I can attach to the end of the wires that would work? Or maybe I just need to be more patient with my attaching the wires. :)

4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I kinda think soldering might be the way to go then.

myride likes this.
  5. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

6. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

You could solder some short wires on that have butt connectors on them and connect the wires to those.
    [​IMG]

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You may be just using cheap terminals. A good terminal will have a dimple to hold it tight to the terminal. Thats way the male terminal in the above picture has a hold it in. I would just solder the wires to the switch. If you don't have a soldering iron/gun ...... ask around ....a friend or neighbor could do it in 2 minutes.

8. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

If you want to go easy and cheap, run the wire through the hole in the switches tab, then use some electrical tape. I would just squeeze the connector a tad.

PammyM likes this.
  9. benandbobbi

benandbobbi Member

i may be off here, but if the wires are "falling" off, even with duct tape wrapped around them, then either the terminals are very loose (but you mentioned you closed them up already) or something is pulling them off? The terminal crimp on the wire is stronger than the connection to the switch in your case, and should be. Is the switch on a moving part, and possible the wires are just a tad short?

bheff likes this.
  10. BigAl

BigAl Member

I'd second what benandbobbi said above - seems like something must be pulling on them or the wires are too short that a bump would pull them off.

If you don't want to solder - what about some sandpaper to scuff the surface of the male side of the spade connector? Maybe a rougher surface wouldn't slide off so easily?

PammyM likes this.
  11. PammyM

PammyM Member

Didn't think about that. I like that idea. Easy Peasy. Thanks!!