Beware this ad

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by ghacker, Oct 6, 2013.

1. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Just thought I'd thispass along. It does look like a scam. This email address is trying to sell stuff across the entire country.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Just saw this same unit posted on a facebook group ...

3. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

There are so many scammers these days.

4. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

I saw hybrid like this one and it was too good to be true. I saw the email address in the ad and googled it. Yep, it was a scam.

5. surfwagoneer

surfwagoneer New Member

yup I almost fell for that one here in NC. I flagged it and its was pulled down

6. MIlover

MIlover Member

Ugh. I saw that one posted too. Thanks for sharing ghacker.

7. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Yep, seen several of these scammer ads on CL lately. Google the email, if they come up a scam, flag them!

Campit

8. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

There's one that may be (Coleman Acadia), but it's on eBay. Do they ever try scams there? It says $200 deposit. I've never seen that before.

9. jos20

jos20 New Member

I saw that add here in Omaha. Seemed to good to be true

10. ironeagle81

ironeagle81 Member

My mom has been emailing a "lady" about a camper she had for sale. We have found this camper in several locations listed on CL. The email address to be aware of is susanmccarthy36@comcast.net. I googled it as has been suggested in this thread and found it listed many times for several different items like the ones associated with the address ya'll are talking about. Thanks for the heads up and making me think for a minute!!!

11. Camping Coyles

Camping Coyles New Member

I flagged this same person with the 01 Coleman earlier today!!

12. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

I don't know, seems like a good deal to me. I think it's worth a call.

13. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

Don't waste your time calling, there is no camper for sale. Whoever posted that ad is looking to separate you from your money.

14. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Really? Not much sarcasm in VA, apparently ...

15. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Still a decent price!

16. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

Yep its a scam, I too tried, but got very suspicious by the way the emails were written. When I couldn't get a cell number, or contact info, I knew it was a scam.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. [{:)]

17. dcel

dcel New Member

Even on my local Craigslist, i got the same scam. Here is the first email back from this scammer (and note the comcast email address):
    I never clicked on the link in the email, and i altered it here so no one else can. -Dave

Melanie.Sanford (melanie.sanford@comcast.net)
    9/24/13

Hi there,
    Here are the pictures with the trailer http://im gur.com/a/9W TxBxx . As I told you in my first email, I recently got divorced. I got a new job and moved to Columbus, Ohio for a new start. The trailer is already at the shipping company in Columbus sealed and ready for the shipping. My presence won't be necessary because I prearranged the deal with Google Wallet. The shipping is free because I was supposed to ship the camper to another buyer, then he told me that he doesn't have money to pay for it. He already paid the shipping charges. The payment will be handled by Google and they will keep the money on hold until the end of the testing period and after they will have your approval that you are satisfied with the trailer and you want to keep it, Google will release the money to me so we can finish the sale. You will have 5 days to try out prior to making any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back at my expense.
    If you are interested in knowing more info about how it works, I can ask Google to send you an email with more information on how to purchase it. Google Wallet will contact you shortly after they have the details with all the information that you need to complete this deal and you will also have proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller. If you would like to receive the email from Google will all the transaction information please reply with your full name, shipping address and phone # and they will contact you right away.
    Regards
    Melanie

18. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

I would reply:

Wow that sounds like a great deal and that camper is just what my grand kids need! I will be happy to send you a money order for the full amount, however I am too old to drive, so cannot get to the bank to deposit my social security check. I haven't been able to deposit my checks from my rentals, my pension or my social security check this month. Could drop by my house to take me to the bank so I can make my deposit? Or if this is inconvenient (being you're out of town) just send me $67.80 + $5 to tip the cab driver in cash, so I can pay for the cab to take me to the bank. I called the cab company and this is the exact cab fare to drop me off at my bank. I can get money out of the bank for the return trip, so you don't have to worry about that. I live way out in the country, and the mail box is out on the highway, too far for me to walk to. I will happily reimburse you this small amount in the money order I send you for the camper. In fact, I'll add an extra $100 to the money order I send you for your kindness in helping out an old grandma. Sorry, but I don't have any credit cards, but will have lots of money in the bank once I get my checks deposited. I look forward to hearing from you right away! Boy, my grandkids will really love that camper! Remember, Jesus loves you!

Chip

19. dcel

dcel New Member

Thats awesome, Chip.
    We need to scam the scammers.