Bicycle repair station

Discussion in 'Biking' started by kcsa75, Mar 3, 2020.

1. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

This may not be new to those who are regular bike riders, but when I went to the self-pay station at our favorite state park this weekend I noticed this bicycle repair station that was recently installed.

There is a hand-pump for tires and a collections of tools for making repairs. This is located near the trail head for one of the trails in the park and less than a quarter-mile from the Flint Hills Nature Trail, one of the more prominent trails in Kansas.

I don't own a bike, but I thought this was cool on several levels. 20200228_173042.jpg 20200228_173056[351].jpg

bstat, Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

We also have them here in MN but you have to be careful when using them. Some stations are not very well maintained. I once tried to use one to pump up a low tire. The pump hose had a hole in it and it deflated my tire completely leaving me in a worse condition than I started. Jerks also tend to steal the tools.

They are a great idea. But like most great ideas, someone always has to come along and ruin it.

I hope you have better luck with them in KC.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The Moab, UT KOA has a bike wash and repair station. I think that's been the only one we've seen so far.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

They have a few along the North Augusta Greenway Trail, in South Carolina. Used one to tighten the mirror on the wife's bike. All the tools are tangled together, so you hold them all up to use a wrench that doesn't quite fit.

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

More and more of them have been popping up in MN. We went on a ride as a family last year and my wife suddenly realized her front tire was completely flat. I had remembered passing one of these on the trail a half mile or so back and we used it and it made repairing the flat much easier. I carry a patch kit and pump on my bike, but my tiny pump requires much more effort than the large ones on these stations. Plus being able to put the bike up on the stand was great.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I was riding my bike on the c&o trail and saw something very similar although the one I saw was only a station to get air. It was at a cute little “rest” area though. Perfect place to crash after realizing riding your bike two miles after not riding for 20+ years was downright exhausting.

WannaTravel likes this.