Big Bone Lick state park

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by iceraven70, Sep 2, 2014.

1. iceraven70

iceraven70 New Member

yes I got a shirt ...and yes the name was a large part of why we looked at this park..lol..now that thats out of the way..

Im from northwest pa and my hubby is from kentucky - his daughters still live there so we were looking for a kid friendly park and this totally fit the bill!!

small park- about 62 sites i believe - most if not all have water and electric that i noticed -most sites also appeared to be pretty level.

I was impressed by the space between sites , I assumed that since it was a smaller park we would all be crammed up..but luckily not the case

grocery store is at the entrance (has wood and ice to the right of the store)along with the mini golf on the left - they sell little odds an ends - i seen sewer hoses ..water hoses..adapters for electric and leveling blocks + much more -prices were what youd expect but at least it was there

we were at site 15- specifically chosen because we could hang at camp while the kids played at the park ( obviously not our ideal location when by ourselves..lol)- across the street from the park were the bathrooms ..a laundry mat ..pop machines and next to the that , the pool- small but more then adequate for the amount of sites -only on saturday morning was it a little crowded for about 2 hrs..the pool was open 10-8..their is no lifeguard and all children under 17 must be accompanied by someone 21 or over .

The staff was very friendly and helpful - the bathrooms were always clean ( not hotel clean but again - we are camping here and my standards may be lower then some on camping bathrooms..lol) 2 regular showers and 1 handicap with a bench - 2 regular toilet stalls and 1 handicap..I never had to wait to use the bathroom nor get a shower..so all good there ;) and the water was hot and there was good water pressure .

one thing i did notice and perhaps why there was never a bathroom/shower wait - about 75 % of the sites had large rv/5th wheels so they have there own bathroom and shower ...

as others have said the water hookups are shared and some our far away - ours was about 20 feet from our camper but i seen some as far as 60 or more

make sure the kids bring their bikes - its very bike/scooter friendly -not too hilly and not alot of traffic

the museum and bison trail are at the entrance of the park - about 2 min from the campground - again all people we encountered were very friendly and we had a good time checking out the bison- even tho it was 95 degrees and humid ..lol- there are more playgrounds and pavilions around the entrance and by the museum

also - there is an RV center about 20 min away in case you have any emergencies - i thought this was a nice bonus - walmart is also about 30 min away and there is a krogers about 20 min

we did not get a chance to check out the lake area and one thing i will say is site 15 did not have a single tree..so it was a little rough with the heat - tho i had a large oscillating fan by the picnic table..we booked our stay at the beginning of june and this was 1 of only 2 sites available so book early if you plan on staying here during a holiday weekend;)and it was where we wanted it ..cant control the weather and the park cant just make trees appear..lol..most sites tho did have shade and trees.

I'd give the park a 9 /10 ..my stepdaughters made friends quickly and had a great time and thats what mattered most;)..+ this being our maiden voyage in our NTU pup named "patchy"..and we had no big leaks even with all the rain ..the trip was a huge success and we will stay here again!!

sorry if this is too long but I know I like a good detailed description and was trying to do the same ;) Hope everyone had a great weekend!!

2. Rusty

Rusty Don't worry, everything has a way of working out.

[:D] My DW and I laughed many miles down the road after we saw that sign. She mentioned it over the weekend while we were in Omaha. It's still funny. Nice to hear it is a nice p[lace to stay too. [;)]

3. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

We have not camped there but stopped on a return trip from somewhere else for a couple of hours. Yes, we had to stop because of the name and took a picture. Friendly staff and we enjoyed the museum and the bison.

4. grubbster

grubbster New Member

I grew up a few miles from there on the road that leads to the park from the interstate in Walton. Guess the name of the road...wait for it...Beaver Road! I kid you not! Truth can be stranger than fiction.

5. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

It does exist! [:O]

[​IMG]

6. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Did you note that the nearby small town is named Beaverlick?

7. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Now that's crude! This site is family oriented...ain't you got no brungin' up? [:!] [;)]

8. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

I just had to look it up and I'll be -------, It's true. Kind of funny that both are in the state of "KY"

9. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Is "KY" flavored? [:(O]

10. kstephens

kstephens Member

I have never stopped there, but driven by many times. Each time giving it my best "Beavis and Butthead" impressions.

11. rwilliek

rwilliek New Member

We stayed there a few years ago with our first camper....decent place, sites were spaced apart nicely, facilities were pretty nice.

12. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

Don't forget that KY Fried Chicken is finger licking good [:D]

I very driven past that park exit many times and chuckled. We are all a bunch of immature kids at heart I guess [:D]

I have heard that it was a good place to camp. Thanks for the report. I'll have to put it on our list of future places!

13. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

It a good cg i have stayed there before got a shirt that say Big Bone Lick state park. [:D]

14. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We stopped at Big Bone Lick State Park for three nights this month. Park is located between the Ark Encounter and the Creation Museum. The Ark was good, but I think the Creation Museum was a little better. The state park museum is good, also. There is a trail down to a salt spring, that was milky flowing out of the ground with a sulfur smell. That reminds me, take your own water for coffee and drinking. The potable water there is like beach water due to the geology there. We did need an extra hose to reach the shared faucet between sites. Restrooms were adequate and clean. Pool was closed, since it was after Labor Day. Coming back from the Creation Museum, we did a side trip to Rabbit Hash. A dog is the mayor there, and we met him in the Rabbit Hash General Store. He had 2 of his buddies with him that may have been the town council.

BillyMc likes this.
  15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

On our list now. I'm going to have to live to be at least 100 to see all the places I want.
    Well, being almost in Ohio it's going to be on the list for when I'm semi-retired or a mid summer trip when I take a full week off. The mid summer full week trips list is nearly full until semi-retirement.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  16. WrkrBee

When you leave the Creation Museum, get on highway 275 and you can catch Indiana and Ohio in about 6 miles.

17. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

It was a sad night when the original Rabbit Hash General Store burned down a few years ago. I haven’t gotten back there yet since they rebuilt it to see what it’s like now. We’ve been going to Big Bone to start the summer since I was a kid and would occasionally head down there.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/article60391516.html
    8EDD875D-68DB-4DC8-9B42-061285169928.jpeg

18. WrkrBee

They did a good job rebuilding. Even inside still has the old character. store.jpg

Rusty2192 likes this.