Big fire. Big bear.

Discussion in 'Jokes And Campfire Stories / Songs' started by squirrelbox, May 16, 2020.

1. squirrelbox

squirrelbox Active Member

So I would like to lighten the mood a little with this completely made up true story. We were camping at Glacier National park in 2008. We were at a remote campsite that took us two hours to get to on the west side of the park , up in the northern portion of the park on the shore of a pristine lake. A little piece of heaven. I have a family of six. On this trip we had one extra person. So we were seven. I am familiar with bear country and followed every necessary protocol as well as every precaution. I admit that I am a bit of a fire bug and love a roaring fire especially on a crispy fresh dark night. But because I am a responsible thoughtful adult setting an example for the youngsters I had a five gallon bucket full of water from the lake at hand. About two hours into the evening, being a bit boisterous as we were enjoying each others company I noticed a sudden immediate change in the disposition and facial expressions of my offspring , wife and the one who was extra as their eyes turned into glimmering saucers. . The fire was roaring and bright so I could clearly see all their faces. They were terrified as they looked past me at the sight they were transfixed upon obviously just behind me. I became aware of a strong odor and slowly turned around and found myself face to face with a huge dark shadowy bear. As fear gripped me and my eyes adjusted to the dark beyond the glow of the fire I wet myself. I slowly noticed that this bear was a bit silvery and had sad eyes. I no longer felt threatened or fear.He seemed kind if that is possible. As I was able to focus in the dark I also noticed that the bear was wearing bluejeans and had on his head a ranger cap and held in one arm a very worn out shovel. He engaged my glance, at the same time he beckoned my attention to my bucket of water. Embarrassed I smothered the fire with the lake water. When I turned around he was gone. While in my haste I poured a lot of water on myself. This was a good thing. No one knew I had wet myself. Remember only you can prevent forest fires.

2. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

yeah, well...we were traveling the back roads, on a warm summer night... heading to our next camp ground. The windows were open and that nice summer air was blowing through the van. As it was a few hours since eating lunch, the kids were snacking on some chips when, all of a sudden, the wind caught hold of the chip bag and boom, out the window it went.... DANG!!... anyway, up the road a wee bit, I could see we were coming to a cross road and I prepared to stop, slowly pumping the brakes. As we rolled to the stop, a figure emerged from the brush, on the passenger side, his hair was long and braided on on both sides of his head...he appeared to have a full neck, bone necklace and he was dressed in buckskin. Low and behold, he was holding that chip bag!! ...as he approach the van, I could tell that he had a single tear dripping down his right cheek!...Keep America Beautiful!

JiffyPopJunkie, kcsa75 and Rik Peery like this.
  3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Rik Peery and zak99b5 like this.
  4. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Some of y'all should remember what the late great Willie Mays says...

Orchid and Mark CASTELLANI like this.