Big Jim Camper

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Orchid, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

When I was a little girl, probably early 70's, I wanted and got a Big Jim camper for Christmas. I loved camping, and already had the Barbie camper. Barbie camper only had two camp chairs, and Big Jim had a campfire, boat, fishing pole, and maybe some other things I'm forgetting about. it was so awesome! And, instead of the door just sliding open, like the almost identical Barbie camper, Big Jim's made into an awning.

It's crazy that camping, fishing, and boating were considered boys activities back then. All Barbie camper allowed for is them to sit around and look pretty. I'm glad my parents indulged my love of camping and didn't insist that I have only girl toys. Plus, I need a real man for my Barbies. Ken was very feminine and, even as a child, wasn't the type of man I wanted for my Barbies. [LOL] They didn't want a GI Joe, either. They wanted an outdoorsman. Although if Big Jim didn't exist, I would have wanted a GI Joe, never a Ken.

Any other girls (or boys) that have been so crazy about camping since childhood?

neighbormike, J Starsky and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

We used to play "camping" in the truck camper in the driveway. We'd sit at the dinette and plan routes on the table map.

Orchid likes this.
  3. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Don’t know if I’d qualify as “crazy for camping” as a kid, though I sure looked forward to, and enjoyed doing it. Never had a Big Jim anything, but lots of Tonka stuff. I know between my cousins, brother and myself, we had a truck camper or two and a motor home in the fleet. We had a Jeepster with a trihull boat too. Each piece had massive adventures spanning the globe without leaving the backyard.

Orchid likes this.
  4. Orchid

My dad had a truck camper when we got a bit older (I was maybe 10 when he got it.) Unfortunately, we were not allowed to play in it. I would have spent some time in there if I were allowed.

I grew up in an apartment in MD, near the DC border, so no backyard. My friends and I spent most of our time at the pool or riding bikes around the apartment complex. But nothing was better than getting out into the woods. Maybe harder for those who were raised in more rural areas, or even in a house with a yard, to understand.

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I think there was always something exciting about camping regardless of where you lived.

One place had bullfrogs and the polliwogs were as big as your fist. Another had a river and we would ride logs around the bend where our campsite was. No matter how great a backyard was, camping gave us something different.

Orchid likes this.
  6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

My brother and I both had the Big Jim campers, and my sister had the Barbie one. Oddly enough, my family never camped growing up, so this was the closest I ever got to camping until my 20s.

My siblings and I were charged with liquidating my parents estate last week and all three of these campers were still around, one of them in quite good condition with most of the pieces still present. I put them on eBay and they sold for very little money after several unsuccessful attempts (I think maybe $10-15).

Orchid likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Orchid likes this.
  8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I joined girl scouts because our troop went camping at every opportunity. Mom became the assistant leader AKA first aid mom. Of course I had to have the barbie camper. I ditched the Ken and barbie doll instead had to have a heart family instead. To me Ken and Barbie were too fake. Sometimes I made my own clothes for the dolls because everything was too dressy and I didn't want dressy. I mean come on, what normal human would wear high heels and a dress camping. Painted boots on their feet and cut the dolls hair. Mom didn't like that, but I made them more realistic. Sadly when I went all the way up in scouts I really missed girl scouts, but honestly too dang busy anyway. Working and going to college ate every second I had. It was only when I graduated did I finally have time, but then I didn't have money. Geeze young adult life is HARD and no fun.

Orchid likes this.
  9. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Sjm9911 and Orchid like this.
  10. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I also had the Big Jim camper as a kid. I don't think Big Jim went camping with Barbie very often...… hence the 'kung fu grip'. [:D]

tfischer and Orchid like this.
  11. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

Probably now a days kids get Transgender camper rigs.

neighbormike likes this.
  12. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oh Lord!! :eek:

Orchid likes this.
  13. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I had big jim and 6 million dollar man. I played with them all the time and they camped together. They are still around on ebay. Big jim had a weird generator accessory as well. Never new what that was because my family didn't camp with one!

neighbormike and Orchid like this.
  14. Orchid

I never knew that, either! We were tent campers, no generator. I don't even remember that piece, but would likely recognize it once I saw it. I'll have to go check out eBay! Big Jim's campfire and boat were my must haves.

15. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Wow, this brings back memories! I had the Big Jim camper, the Rescue Rig, and also the Sky Commander plane. I was never allowed to take the camper set up with us when we would go camping, My mom said it was too big, we didn't have room. So I would take Big Jim and make him a shelter out of sticks. Man, kids have no clue how to play today.

Ductape, tzmartin, Orchid and 2 others like this.
  16. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Never had anything Big Jim. I was into GI Joe, and that was on the top of the list for birthday and Christmas. Had multiple vehicles and accessories, but this one was my prize possession.

shelmily and Orchid like this.