Big leaking?!

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Enigmacamper, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

Hi all! Hubby picked up a ntu 2017 aliner scout last night and drove about 11-12 hrs home in a lot of rain. Today when he popped up the camper after unhitching etc. there was a bunch of water in the camper!!!
    Obviously we're concerned cause this is a substantial leak, like soaking cushions kind of leak. It seems entirely along the right hand side (door side) and worst in the front right corner on that dinette bench.

We cannot find anything at all obvious or why it's leaking but I have a feeling it was leaking before for the previous owners as if you look carefully there is some slight discoloring along that edge of the ceiling pieces. The dealer (and a friend of ours who inspected it since it was a long-distance deal) both said no sign of water leaks, to be fair they are subtle and I can see how you could miss them.

Any thoughts? This is a discouraging way to start of course o_O:rolleyes:

2. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

I should clarify, there's no sign that the water is coming from the bubble window, it seems to be the right hand side where the roof panels meet the sidewalls

3. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. Rain should not be entering while trailering - or at any other time. Some pictures would help. Also pictures of it closed up so we can see if it appears to have gaps while closed.

If it is a 2017 it may be still on warranty - although not sure if Aliner warranty is transferable. I'd check on the warranty thing immediately since you could potentially be days away from expiration.

Another question - is the trailer level while on the tow vehicle? If the ball is too low the trailer could be tilted down up front, which could cause water to flow toward the front and would potentially be a source of leak if a gasket was damaged.

4. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

Should add, apparently my hubby found a little bit of water on the left front side as well but not nearly as much. It seems the rubber that goes across the roof has a break in it, though it doesn't seem that would be significant enough to allow this sheer amount of water in???!!

When hitched at the dealer it was level, this morning (before we got it unhooked and popped up) I noticed it looked tongue-heavy and was definitely a hair nose-down...but it is not raining here, just on the drive. I'm guessing the water infiltrate might be why it was so tongue heavy!

5. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

Dealer said it was not under a warranty any more (might be the transferrable thing) and apparently my husband bought it "as is".:oops: We have not contacted them yet about this issue, we're trying to figure out where all this water is coming from. My husband is afraid maybe the roof panels are not lining up right or something? This was SUCH a new camper, I was concerned perhaps it was traded in for a reason, but this is definitely unexpected.

6. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

This morning we also found icicles on the outside front right corner, clearly something was dripping off it and freezing early this morning.

7. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

follow

8. TNW

TNW Member

Enigmacamper, I had a similar leak in my 2014 Ranger 12, it was not when towing but when stationary and folded up. Same place as yours, right side at the front of the camper. I thought it was the seal where the roof panels meet, however it leaked, not a lot, when tilted back slightly. Upon close inspection I saw a very slight gap between the aluminum trim piece at the edge of the roof where the leak appeared to be coming from, and its rubber gasket that meets it on the inner edge. Still not sure that was the culprit, but I squeezed in a bead of silicone along that small opening (maybe the gap was 24" long and 1/16" wide) and I have had no further leaks. I sealed another gap that was on the other side of the roof, same deal, slight gap between the edge piece and its gasket. As of now it has not re-leaked.

9. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Aliners have a hinge across the front, that hinge has a waterproof cover BUT; If conditions are perfect rain can hit the front and work up under that waterproof cover. It isn't common but it can happen.

Another Aliner owner caulked and sealed this location but it then caused other issues. I don't remember what happened but they determined it needed open and they then removed the sealant they had added.

In the seven years we owned our Aliner it leaked while towing two or three times. We learned to always check the area and dry it immediately when stopped if needed.

10. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I would cover the camper with a tarp until the weather improves and you can figure whats going on???

11. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

Clearly this calls for a really close inspection of all the seals. We have it popped up in our driveway right now (we've had a bit of snow) with a heater on inside for a few days to make sure everything can dry out alright, seems so far no damage was done, that we've seen anyway. The heater didn't end up keeping the camper above freezing with our cold temps right now so we've turned it up to make sure no trapped water stays frozen, hopefully!

Inspecting it popped up in snow and now with some snow melt it doesn't appear to be leaking at all popped up. It seems the weakness is clearly when it is folded down.

Though we have noticed there is a hair of daylight you can see through the intersection of panels at the top of the apex on both sides (on the side, not the top), is this normal?

12. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

When the Aframe is folded down, the water may leak in at a skylight or cracked roof vent cover, then flow across the folded side wall and end up somewhere else.

Skylight leaks are not unusual. Either the adhesive fails somewhere or the skylight develops a hairline crack. We've had both types on our Aframe.

Pop it up, then set up a sprinkler to provide the rain while you watch for leaks inside.

13. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Folded A frames are very sensitive to being nose-down. Leaks can happen while traveling when the ball is too low, or you park or stop in traffic on a hill in a rainstorm. The 3 inch seal on the back roof panel will allow some water through if the trailer is nose down even slightly during a heavy rain. Look where the front of the back panel is when folded inward, and the leaks will be directly under that edge if nose down is the cause. Usually, that will be the dinette benches. You can tighten the roof-to-seal fit slightly by rotating the two hooks that hold the back roof panel down when folded, but that alone won't stop the leaking....

DiamondGirl likes this.
  14. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

I wonder if this could be the whole story. When they were bringing it back they stopped for maybe 20 minutes in a deluge and my husband says the parking lot was slanted so it was nose-down somewhat. It does seem to have a small break in that seal as well. Would just 20 minutes in that condition be enough to get a BUNCH of water? It doesn't make much sense for it to take on so much water while towing...considering the water should be flowing back off the trailer.

15. dcflutist

dcflutist New Member

When I first picked up my camper, popped down, there was definitely space between the 3 inch black rubber seal on the back roof panel, and the top roof panel above it. One of the fold up clamps that hold it closed on each side was too long. My dad twisted the top part of the clamp several times to make it shorter and get it to clamp the top down a little tighter and get a better seal.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  16. Joe27

Joe27 New Member

My 2016 Aliner scout has a similar leak while towing in the rain. It is covered under the factory warranty. Now the bad news. Over the last 3 1/2 years it has been fixed 6 times under warranty by 2 different authorized Aliner dealers and a private RV repair facility and it still leaks. Now the factory warranty representative wants me to take it back to one of the authorized dealers who tried to fix it and let them try again. I have spent countless hours and towed the Aliner over a 1000 miles trying to get it fixed. I even had to pay for a portion of the fifth warranty repair. I refused and I offered to fix it myself and they were to pay a portion of the repair up to $1000 and I would release them from any further liability. They refused. I will have to take some legal action to get it fixed correctly.
    Did you ever get your aAliner leak fixed and how? Thanks

17. Econ

Econ Active Member

<<<drove about 11-12 hrs home in a lot of rain.>>>>>

Define substantial water. Quart???? Gallon??? 5 gallons???

We towed a 5 year old Aliner for about 6 hours in the rain and had a quart of water in the front right dinette area/ under the right dinette seat. Check the right, front, plastic baggage door. Ours bowed about 3/16" with the middle - bowed inward. It was like the lock was adjusted too tight putting a bowed set in the door. This let the vertical "edges" of the door bow away from the rubber gasket and rain leaked in the leading edge of the door.

I bolted a piece of hard maple about a 1/2" thick by 2" wide to the back of the door just above the lock. It was as long as the door opening would allow. This forced the bow to flatten and the edges make contact with the gasket again. No more leaks. Did it to both baggage doors.

But I'm cheap. You can always buy a new door.

18. Craig smith

Craig smith New Member

This forum discussion has certainly been enlightening for me as we are considering buying an Aligner popup as we go camping in areas where a hard side unit is mandatory. The above issues with leaks make me ask, would you still use this type of camper? Thanks

Rik Peery likes this.
  19. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

I've had no probs w/ leaking w/ the exception of hosing it when down, water was forced up under the cap on the fantastic fan I guess & it was leaking when I opened the camper; I haven't towed in a hard rain yet either; were I to do it over again, I'd go w/ a Nucamp type of camper, but that's just me...

20. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We picked up our 2018 Scout and had a deluge for about 20-30 minutes on the trip home. Right front corner leaked. Sealed the end of the roof hinge, like it was done on the left. Pulled through several storms since, and have not had a problem.