Bigger Wheels = Longer Stabilizers?

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by Starry_Eyed_Camper, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Starry_Eyed_Camper

Starry_Eyed_Camper New Member

Our NTU trailer has brand new wheels but instead of 13” wheels it now has 15” wheels. When we put down our stabilizers they don’t touch the ground. So do we keep using blocks under them into perpetuity or do we swap them out for longer stabilizers? And if we swap them out what’s a good source for new ones?

2001 Starcraft Gemini

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Blocks are probably going to be cheaper and easier. (IMO)
    Look under yours and see if they are welded on or bolted on. That will get you started in the right direction if you decide to replace them

3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

I've always used blocks under the stabs no matter what trailer we've owned at the time, be it a popup or travel trailer. Stabs will always be more stable if deployed at no more than a 45 degree angle - the closer they are to 90 degrees the less stability they'll offer.

kcsa75, Fless and kitphantom like this.
  4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

how do you figure?

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We too have found that our stabs are more, well, stable, if not extended close to the max; both sets of the ones we've dealt with have been the crank down ones, not the scissor-style. (We used stack jacks on the first pup.) Even though we've had sand pads on the stabs on both our 2nd pup and small TT, using Lynx blocks under them on many surfaces is helpful anyway, to keep them from shifting or sinking. Our TT came with a factory lift of a couple of inches, and we had another inch added when we had to get a new axle a year and a half ago. We just use more Lynx under the stabilizers and tongue jack as necessary. The tongue jack is also more stable if not extended out too far.
    We have 4 sets of Lynx blocks, plus caps and chocks - we use them for leveling in most sites, and under the stabilizers and tongue jack just about all the time. On level concrete pads, we don't use them under the stabs, but we still use 4-5 under the tongue jack, it's just easier. There have been sites where we use 5 (+cap) under each of the 4 stabs.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Physics. The lower the angle of the stabilizer to the ground (less than 90*), the lower the balance point. Therefor, the greater the stability.

Higher angle = Higher Balance point = Higher Instability

kitphantom likes this.
  7. Starry_Eyed_Camper

They are bolted on. We plan on using boards under them but right now they’re requiring significant board build ups to be used.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I keep spare 2X6 and 4X4 blocks in a milk crate in the truck bed just in case I need them I also keep homemade chocks and leveling boards in the crate.
    I also use 2X6 blocks to go under the stabilizers and this keeps the stabs. from sinking into the ground

9. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Similar issue for us when we did the "axle flip" - our stabs are maxed out on level ground, but if we are on a sloped spot, we need to block the high end. I always carry 4 4x6 blocks cut to about 12" long. I'm planning on getting new stabs at some point.

Starry_Eyed_Camper likes this.
  10. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

When I replaced my torsion axle with a standard spring and then upped the wheels from 13" to 15", I raised my floor 9" IIRC. So I made some stacking stands that kind of look like 4 legged jack stands. I made them 10" tall so I didn't have to extend the stabs as far.

As far as angle and stability - Take two yard sticks. Hold the top ends together and separate the bottoms by about 4". Now wiggle them in that spread direction. Now spread the bottoms out to 3 feet (the yard sticks will be at 45 degrees). Now try to wiggle...

11. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Blocks

12. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I replaced the stabs with 20 inch scissors jacks. It took little over an hour to change out 4. Now I don't have to carry a ton of boards. Don't remember who the vendor was I bought from, just on flea bay.

13. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

It's the center of gravity of the camper you need to be concerned with. A level camper is more stable than a leaning one.

14. BikeNFish

You are comparing apples to oranges. I believe the OP was referring only to the stabilizing. Level first, stabilize second. They are separate actions. Stabilizers aren't levelers.

Stabilizers, if deployed correctly, don't change the center of gravity. When a camper is level, the center of gravity is a constant.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  15. Starry_Eyed_Camper

I think part of our question is if stabilizers are all that stable if they have to be shored up 2-4 inches each time they’re deployed. (We’re pretty good at leveling the PUP)

16. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Perhaps I didn't understand the condition properly. If the op was referring to the angle where the stabilizers meet the ground then I was indeed an orange in a bushel of apples.

BikeNFish likes this.
  17. BikeNFish

If you block it with a wide base, it shouldn't be a problem. Personally, I would replace the stabs. Messing with making sure the base is stable is just another thing to deal with.

18. BikeNFish

Example - Blocking your stabs with 2x8's or 2x12's would be more stable that 2x4's.

Raycfe and Starry_Eyed_Camper like this.
  19. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I'd replace 'em. Still carry blocks though unless you're always at RV parks or KOAs or that sort of place.

20. Starry_Eyed_Camper

We took it out camping this weekend and came to a similar conclusion.
    Worked great but a little longer stabilizers would be better.