Bike Rack for pop-up

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by msppilot, Jun 20, 2015.

1. msppilot

msppilot New Member

We recently bought a StarCraft 2107 and would like to be able to bring our bikes along with us. The rear bumper is only for decoration and dows not look like it can hold any weight. I am curious what others have done? Should I get one of those hitch extenders? If I do, will this cause the trailer to sway more? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

That is correct, you don't want to use the rear bumper as it is not structurally sound to carry the weight of the bike rack and several bikes. Best option is to mount a bike rack on top of the camper. Either using a rack system by one of the manufacturers or as many of our members of done make your own out of PVC pipe. Take a look around this section of the site, cargo carriers/bike racks, and you'll see many many options.

3. seanself117

seanself117 New Member

If you have the rear bumper and frame reinforced by a welder it will support a bike rack perfectly fine been there done that 4 adult bikes in the back of my Dutchman

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

What is your tow vehicle?

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Forgot to mention that wonderful thing called sway that putting the bikes on the back of the camper can cause.

6. msppilot

msppilot New Member

7. Thai

Thai Member

Those dual hitch receiver/extenders brings your hitches rating down 50 percent. So tongue weight would drop from 500 lbs to 250 lbs on a class 3 hitch. And 5000 lbs to 2500 lbs capacity. Not worth going that route.

Sent from my SGH-I317

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Problem with the hitch extenders is they all reduce the tongue weight and tow limits by as much as 50% in some cases.. If you look around the Portal you'll see lots of ideas by members showing many creative ways of how they built and mounted bike racks ..

9. Thai

Thai Member

10. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

I would personally put the bikes on the roof of the PUP, this way you do not have to worry about bumpers or reduced hitch capacities. This will also spread the additional weight on the axle and tongue weight.

11. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

THAI has the right idea but you may not want to do this or put anything on the roof of the camper if you have an ABS ROOF.

12. msppilot

msppilot New Member

Okay, I need a little help with that one. What is an ABS roof?

13. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

When mounting a roof rack, make sure it mounts to the sides of your top, not the top of the top.

Much less chance of the drag ripping it and your bikes off the roof.

14. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

It was a type of roof on some of the older Fleetwood/Coleman models that were prone to cracking. Weight on top of an older ABS roof would not be good.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

15. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

I have slots for 2 more bikes and that's it.
    [​IMG]

16. distracto

distracto Member

i would like to add a bike rack to the rear bumper of my 1989 Jayco 1006 Deluxe... the reason being when i am on site, I can put the bike rack onto my TV and drive to trail heads. i am guessing i would have 100lbs of weight for 4 bikes including the rack itself.

curt makes these http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Trailer-Hitches/Curt/E-100.html

if i am sure to counter balance the rear weight with the tongue weight without adding too much to my gross vehicle weight and axle load, i am guessing i should be fine?

perhaps i am just dreaming that this would be a viable solution?

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

18. distracto

distracto Member

Thanks for your input, sounds like a much better solution.

A little reading of buyer feedback for the tube brought up the point that the bike rack should have some sway support as it is a much rougher ride on the back of the trailer than the back of the TV

Thanks again

19. scottyak

scottyak New Member

What we did...

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

20. Klautt

Klautt Member

We did the Bumper Bike Rack. Read the warning but decided to still go for it. Just got back from a 4000k trip and she held up good. No extra sway and it didn't rip off.
    The bumper was re-enforced and a 1 1/4" hitch welded in a local shop. Came to $200.
    Our Flagstaff has the front storage and is pretty tongue heavy so I think that helps in our scenario.
    To help reduce bouncing and banging around, we throw a rope around the rack one the bikes are on and ratchet strap it to the front. That takes a bit of the bounce shock off. I also had to wrap a ratchet strap around the rack to stop side to side rocking. My rack seems to have a lot of play in the hitch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]